On this page:
- Definition of the noun aardvark
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aardvark
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aardvark
- Photos about Aardvark
- Video language resources about Aardvark
- Scrabble value of A1A1R1D2V4A1R1K5
- Anagrams of AARDVARK
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aardvark
What does aardvark mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aardvarks
- nocturnal burrowing mammal of the grasslands of Africa that feeds on termites; sole extant representative of the order Tubulidentata
- examples: He keeps an aardvark as a pet. | An aardvark looks like a pig. | An adult aardvark can weigh up to 100 kilograms. | She keeps an aardvark as a pet.
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Myrmecophaga capensis / species Myrmecophaga capensis / Orycteropus haussanus / species Orycteropus haussanus / Orycteropus senegalensis / species Orycteropus senegalensis / Orycteropus wertheri / species Orycteropus wertheri / Orycteropus afer
- synonyms of aardvark: ant bear / anteater
- more generic terms: eutherian / eutherian mammal / placental / placental mammal = mammals having a placenta
- member of: genus Orycteropus / Orycteropus = coextensive with the family Orycteropodidae
- young animal: cub
- female animal: sow
- male animal: boar
- collateral adjective: orycteropodian
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun aardvark
- [zoology] The mammal Orycteropus afer, of the order Tubulidentata, somewhat resembling a pig, common in some parts of sub-Saharan Africa.
- synonym: African anteater
- [slang, particularly in the southeast US] A silly or credulous person who is prone to mistakes or blunders.
Aardvark was a social search service that connected users live with friends or friends-of-friends who were able to answer their questions, also known as a knowledge market. Users submitted questions via the Aardvark website, email or instant messenger and Aardvark identified and facilitated a live chat or email conversation with one or more topic experts in the asker's extended social network. Aardvark was used for asking subjective questions for which human judgment or recommendation was desired. It was also used extensively for technical support questions. Users could also review question and answer history and other settings on the Aardvark website. Google acquired Aardvark for $50 million on February 11, 2010. In September 2011, Google announced it would discontinue a number of its products, including Aardvark.
- Aardvark is a musical group.
- album: "Aardvark"
- Aardvark a.k.a. Aardvark': Aardvark' is a Finnish band.
- album: "Tuntematon sotilas"
- Aardvark is a fictional character from the 2002 film Ice Age.
- Aardvark is a fictional character from the 1980 film Easter Fever.
"Aardvark": In a role inspired by his own life, Larry Lewis plays a blind and solitary man recovering from alcoholism and working towards stability. Determined to take control over himself, Larry leads an orderly and disciplined life. When he joins a Jiu Jitsu academy, he finds a close friend in his young hard-partying instructor, Darren. As Larry’s body and spirit begin to change and grow through his practice of this martial art, so does his friendship with Darren. But, as disturbing aspects of Darren’s life are starting to unravel, Larry soon finds himself facing the consequences of violence, descending into an underworld, deeper and deeper into shadows and darkness.
- countries: United States of America, Argentina
- language: English Language
- director: Kitao Sakurai
- producer: Andrew Barchilon
- executive producers: Kasumi X & Gastón Solnicki
- production design by Ana Cambre
- written by Kitao Sakurai
- cinematography by Aaron Kovalchik
- edited by Luke Lynch
- music by Fall on Your Sword
- costume design by Ana Cambre
- genres: Crime Fiction, Thriller, Indie film, Crime Thriller, Drama
- released on (5 years ago)
"Aardvark" is a computer game for the Atari 8-bit Computers, Commodore 64 and Commodore 16 in which the player must collect ant larva using the snout of an aardvark. The game is based on the arcade game Anteater.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Bug-Byte
- genre: Action game
- publisher: Bug-Byte
- released in (30 years ago)
- "Aardvark" is a musical album of Aardvark.
- released in (46 years ago)
- "Aardvark" is a musical album of Kensington Market.
- "Aardvark" is a musical album of Mighty Joe Plum.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aardvark
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Your Guide to Writing it Right by Mignon Fogarty
Aardvark is a blue and small mammal. Aardvark is a small and blue mammal. Aardvark is a small, blue mammal. (You can use and between the adjectives and reverse the order, so you use a comma.) Sometimes it'sa challenge tofigureout ...
by Mignon Fogarty
Aardvark is a blue and small mammal. Aardvark is a small and blue mammal. Aardvark is a small, blue mammal. (You can use and between the adjectives and reverse the order, so you use a comma.) Sometimes it's a challenge to figure out ...
by Mignon Fogarty, Erwin Haya
Aardvark is a hairy and small mammal. Aardvark is a small and hairy mammal. Aardvark is a small, hairy mammal. You can use and between the adjectives and reverse the order in the examples above, ...
Spirit & Dream Animals (2011)
Decipher Their Messages, Discover Your Totem by Richard Webster
Aardvark The aardvark is an unusual looking nocturnal animal that can grow up to six feet in length. It has the nose...
The Human Interest Library (1914)
Visualized Knowledge by Bp. Samuel Fallows, Henry Woldmar Ruoff
The aardvark is an African animal, and Its curious name given by the Dutch means "earth-hog." It measures about five feet In length, and sleeps by day in a burrow, coming out at night to feed among the ant hills. Its long ears and piglike head ...
Me Dia (2016)
by Daniel Gavaghan
This also may sound trivial but aardvark is an anagram of dark Vader and vadar in Dutch means father, so Seth is the dark father and this might be where the character Darth Vader comes from.
The aardvark is an African animal, and its curious name given by the Dutch means "earth-hog." It measures about five feet in length, and sleeps by day in a burrow, coming out at night to feed among the ant hlils. Its long ears and piglike head ...
The aardvark is an African animal, and its curious name given by the Dutch means “earth-hog.” It measures about five feet in length, and sleeps by day in a burrow, coming out at night to feed among the ant hills. Its long ears and piglike head ...
Principles of Life (2016)
by CTI Reviews
Aardvark: The aardvark is a mediumsized, burrowing, nocturnal mammal native to Africa. It is the only living species of the order Tubulidentata, although other prehistoric species and genera of Tubulidentata are known. Carnivore: A carnivore ...
Learning and Memory (2015)
Basic Principles, Processes, and Procedures, Fourth Edition by W. Scott Terry
Although AARDVARK is a bizarre and distinctive item, fat chance you will remember it 6 months later as an associate to TABLE.) Putting objects in unusual places is an instance where our everyday belief about how to remember proves to be ...
Biology, Biology by CTI Reviews
Aardvark: The aardvark is a mediumsized, burrowing, nocturnal mammal native ...
Nocturnal Animals (2006)
by Clive Roots
The aardvark is the largest of the pure anteaters, its body and long tapering head measuring 4 feet 3 inches (1.3m), and its tapering tail is 28 inches (71cm) long.
Scientific American (1880)
The aardvark is a nocturnal animal, ...
by Hope B. Werness
Aardvark. Orycteropus afer. Aardvarks are members of one family, and a single genus and species, occupying a wide variety of habitats throughout sub-Saharan Africa. These burrowing, largely nocturnal creatures build substantial tunnel ...
The Encyclopedia of Animals (2004)
A Complete Visual Guide by Fred Cooke
the rock hyrax is a grazer and — concentrates on grasses oass Mammalia order Tubuhdentata family Orycteropodidae GENERA 1 SPECIES 1 Aardvark A ...
Encyclopedia of Deserts (1999)
by Michael A. Mares, Oklahoma Museum of Natural History (Norman, Okla.)
The aardvark, also called antbear, is the only member of the family Orycteropodidae (order Tubulidentata). It has a long skull with small teeth that serve no apparent function. Aardvarks are distributed widely in Africa south of the Sahara (except ...
A Political, Social, and Military History by Spencer C. Tucker
General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark The General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark was a medium-range interdiction and tactical strike aircraft but also in various versions was a strategic bomber, a reconnaissance aircraft, and an electronic warfare ...
by Stephen Bull
Exit was possible at all speeds and altitudes, though the system worked best when the Aardvark was flying at reasonable height. A successful ejection was achieved from ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
Orycteropodidae (aardvark; superorder *Protoungulata, order *Tubulidentata) A family ofanimals, known from the *Miocene in Africa and the *Oligocene in Europe, that are isolated from all other mammal groups and that may be similar to ...
by Edy G. Schaffer
purpose of DO, SERVE, RESOLVE, SATISFY unfavorable REBUFF answerable LIABLE, ACCOUNTABLE, RESPONSIBLE ant ANAY, EMMET, AMAZON, PISMIRE, TERMITE bear AARDVARK black KELEP combining form MYRMECO cow ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
AARDVARK (Mammalia, Tubulidentata). African animals of peculiar form and ancient lineage, including an Ethiopian and a South African species. All are anteaters, feeding exclusively on ants ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aardvark
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aardvark
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Beige Alert
Photo credit: magerleagues
Photo credit: Neil T
Photo credit: @joefoodie
Photo credit: magerleagues
Aardvark Jazz Orchestra in concert in Cambridge, MA
Photo credit: pinelife
Phylomon submission is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License specific for use in the Phylomon card project.
Photo credit: naturalismus
Its a Hard Life
Photo credit: gdemufc
Where in Edinburgh can you see this aardvark?
Photo credit: monkeypuzzle
Photo credit: CucombreLibre
- Evolution of the Aardvark
Figures by Pearson Scott Foresman, Smokeybjb, T. Michael Keesey, Nobu Tamura, and Ernst Haeckel.
Figures are not to scale.
Photo credit: tmkeesey
- Alejandro the Aardvark
Photo credit: Beatnik Photos
- Aardvark to scale
He's about "this" big.
Photo credit: emmajanehw
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Aardvark
Click on an item to play that video:
- Aardvark Meaning
This is the meaning or definition of the word Aardvark, don't forget to check out the links below thanks for watching!!
- Definition of aardvark
- Slang: Its A Thing || Aardvark Avenue
- Meaning and Pronunciation of AARDVARK
Word: AARDVARK Meaning: South African anteater Example: The aardvark has seventeen poorly defined subspecies.
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Aardvark"
- Letter A - "Aardvark" ( noun )
Mr TESOL's Video Dictionary ( As Defined By Members Of The Public )...
- Dictionary Aardvark
- Dictionary - aardvark
- Dictionary For Idiots: Aardvark
See also the pronunciation examples of Aardvark!
Scrabble value of A1A1R1D2V4A1R1K5
The value of this 8-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AARDVARK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aardvark!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aardvark to see it in context!