On this page:
- Definition of the adverb aback
- Definition of the noun aback
- Phrases with aback
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aback
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aback
- Photos about aback
- Video language resources about aback
- Quotes about aback
- Scrabble value of A1B3A1C3K5
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adverb aback
What does aback mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- having the wind against the forward side of the sails
- example: the ship came up into the wind with all yards aback
- by surprise
- example: taken aback by the caustic remarks
Alternative definition of the adverb aback
- [rare] Towards the back or rear; backwards; away.
- Behind; in the rear.
- [nautical] Backward against the mast; said of the sails when pressed by the wind from the "wrong" (forward) side.
Definition of the noun aback
What does aback mean as a name of something?
- [obsolete] An abacus.
Phrases with aback
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for aback
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Biographical Notices, and Records of Naval Officers; Special Articles on Naval Art and Science
The sails are laid aback, or thrown aback, by hauling in the weatherbraces or by putting the helm down, or both.
by Robert Allen
aback be taken aback to be surprised or disconcerted. Aback is an Old English word meaning 'backward', 'to the rear', and survives in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for aback
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about aback
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about taken aback.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about aback
Click on an item to play that video:
- Brace aback Meaning
Video shows what brace aback means. to bring the wind onto the forward side of the sails to slow the ship. Brace aback Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- The Meaning of Aback
Here's the meaning of Aback according to The Vocabuverse, the dictionary where all the definitions are written as rhymes.
- Definition of aback
- Meaning and Pronunciation of ABACK
Word: ABACK Meaning: situated in the rear Example: Peter hold the jib aback.
- Letter A - "Aback" ( adverb )
- Poems for Life - Race against Dictionary - A - 1st word - Aback
Its a poem about people who think that their life have become wonderful and lovely after they have a beloved in their life. But if he/she lefts, sooner or later they ...
- Dictionary - aback
See also the pronunciation examples of aback!
Quotes about aback
Dappled and bay horses,
Four chariots came out from between the two mountains!
And like the wind of war being held aback,
But one day it will blow all over the earth. (Edward Kofi Louis)
more quotes about aback...
Scrabble value of A1B3A1C3K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of aback to see it in context!