The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb abbreviate:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective abbreviate
- Definition of the noun abbreviate
- Definition of the verb abbreviate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for abbreviate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for abbreviate
- Photos about abbreviate
- Video language resources about abbreviate
- Quotes about abbreviate
- Scrabble value of A1B3B3R1E1V4I1A1T1E1
- Share this page
Definition of the adjective abbreviate
What does abbreviate mean as an attribute of a noun?
- [rare] Abbreviated; abridged; shortened.
- [biology] Having one part relatively shorter than another or than the ordinary type.
Definition of the noun abbreviate
What does abbreviate mean as a name of something?
- [obsolete] An abridgment.
Definition of the verb abbreviate
What does abbreviate mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: abbreviated | abbreviating | abbreviates
- reduce in scope while retaining essential elements
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of abbreviate: abridge / contract / cut / foreshorten / reduce / shorten
- more generic words: decrease / lessen / minify = make smaller
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the verb abbreviate
- [transitive] To make shorter; to shorten; to abridge; to reduce by means of contraction or omission, especially of words written or spoken.
- [mathematics] To reduce to lower terms, as a fraction.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for abbreviate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Master the SAT Writing (2012)
Part IV of V by Peterson's
its 141/ Confusing Words: Group 2 abbreviate means to shorten by omitting. 15. there 8. almost.
An Abbreviate is the text of an Ordinatio or Reportatio shortened by somebody who wanted only the essential parts of the original texts. After these explanations we can proceed to our main problem. A remark of Michalski, probably taken too ...
by Rod Powers
condense Abbreviate is a verb meaning to shorten or condense by omitting letters or words. 3. A. clearness Clarity is a noun meaning clearness in speech, appearance, or thought. 4. B. complete Culminate is a verb meaning to come to the ...
by Chris Tull
MonthName (month, abbreviate) abbreviate is an optional Boolean value that indicates if the month name is to be abbreviated. If omitted, the default is False. Function Description Arguments WeekdayName (weekday) Returns the day of the.
A Work of Universal Reference in All Departments of Knowledge, with a New Atlas of the World by William Dwight Whitney
abbreviate (p-bré'vi-it), v. ; rat. and pp. abbreviated, ppr. abbreviaflng. LL. abbreviatua, pp. of abbret'iare, shorten, ad-, to, + brcris, short. The same L. verb, through the F., has become E. abridge : see abridge and brief] 1, trans. 1.
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
ABBREVIATE of Adjudications, in Scots law, an abstract or abridgment of a decreetof adjudication, which is ...
A Handbook of Sheriff Court Styles, Designations of Parties and Pleas in Law Arranged in Dictionary Form (1883)
With Notes, Authorities, Chapters on Pleading and Appendix of Motions, Minutes, Agents' Accounts and Other Incidental Matters
Procuring deliverance awarding sequestration_ Drawing abbreviate of sequestration and getting same entered in Register of Inhibitions . Paid dues . . . . t Paid SheriiT-Clerk's dues (say) Framing ' Gazette ' notice 1 sheet Two copies thereof ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for abbreviate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about abbreviate
If you need images about abbreviate for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about abbreviate
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of abbreviate!
Quotes about abbreviate
Scrabble value of A1B3B3R1E1V4I1A1T1E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of abbreviate to see it in context!