On this page:
- Definition of the noun abbreviation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abbreviation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abbreviation
- Photos about Abbreviation
- Video language resources about Abbreviation
- Quotes about Abbreviation
- Scrabble value of A1B3B3R1E1V4I1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abbreviation
What does abbreviation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abbreviations
- a shortened form of a word or phrase
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic terms: descriptor / form / signifier / word form = the phonological or orthographic sound or appearance of a word that can be used to describe or identify something
- more specific words:
- shortening something by omitting parts of it
Abbreviation of the compass direction.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abbreviation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Writer's Guide to Getting It Right by William Bryson
abbreviations, contractions, acronyms. Abbreviation is the general term used to describe any shortened word. Contractions and acronyms are types of abbreviation.
12th International Conference, CICLing 2011, Tokyo, Japan, February 20-26, 2011. Proceedings by Alexander Gelbukh
When a popular abbreviation is an acronym (e.g. NASA, AIDS), the phonetically equivalent word in Arabic is a borrowed word (NASA-L.A., AIDS-5-4). When a popular abbreviation is an ...
Legal Information (1999)
How to Find It, how to Use it by Kent C. Olson
Because each language has its own section, however, knowing the language of an abbreviation is a necessary first step.
Chestnut Hill Studies in Modern Languages and Literatures
The common denominator of both the technologically motivated acronym and the organizational abbreviation is a new concept to which older linguistic forms are not immediately applicable. o.4 From the point of view of form, acronyms fall ...
by Josef Vachek
A abbreviation (abreviation, Abkiirzung, zkratka) '... an abbreviation is a special case of a naming unit. From the phonological and morphological points of view, abbreviations form an isolated and characteristic system. From the viewpoint of ...
by Adrian Room
abbreviation is any short form of a.
by Shirley H. Fondiller, EdD, RN, FAAN, Barbara J. Nerone, APR
An abbreviation is a shortened form of a written word or phrase. Examples include APHA (American Public Health Association) and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation). An acronym is a word formed from the initial or key letter or letters of ...
by Michael Szycher
PU Abbreviation for Poly ur ethane . Pull Strength The bond strength of an adhesive joint, obtained by pulling in a direction perpendicular to the surface of the layer. Pultrusion In reinforced plastics, the technique in which continuous strands of ...
PAWP, abbreviation for pulmonary artery wedge pressure. Paxil, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor. Brand name for paroxetine. Payr's clamp /pī′′ərz/ [Erwin Payr, German surgeon, 1871–1946; AS, clam, fastener], a heavy clamp used ...
by Donald Launer
Restr an abbreviation used in NOAA charts to indicate restricted. Rf an abbreviation used in NOAA charts to indicate reef. rf or RF radio frequency or radio frequencies is that portion of the electromagnetic spectrum between audio frequencies ...
by Fioretta. Benedetto Mattia
Italian abbreviation meaning: period. per. (abbr.) perito. Italian abbreviation meaning: expert. P/E(R) Price-Earning Ratio. Management. PER Program Event Recording. Data Communications. PER Protein Efficiency Ratio. Nutrition.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abbreviation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abbreviation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abbreviation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Abbreviation: Meaning behind word Family, Wife, Husband and Hello
- Meaning of DNA (Medical Abbreviation)
Learn the meaning of DNA (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of ADM (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of CPR (Medical Abbreviation)
Learn the meaning of CPR (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of A-V (Medical Abbreviation)
- Low Platelet Count Symptoms, Itp Medical Abbreviation, Itp Definition, Low Platelets In Blood
Low Platelet Count Symptoms, Itp Medical Abbreviation, Itp Definition, Low Platelets In Blood...
- Meaning of AAD (Medical Abbreviation)
- Medical Terminology Word Game And Abbreviation Quiz For Android - 1 Pic 1 Med Term
Play And Learn The Only Game That Will Test Your Medical Terminology And Abbreviation Skills!! Download For Android: ...
- Meaning of BPM (Medical Abbreviation)
Learn the meaning of BPM (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of BEE (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of AA (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of CPAP (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of ADH (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of BCAA (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of (ACTH Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of AML (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of AAS (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of ALS (Medical Abbreviation)
Learn the meaning of ALS (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of ECG (Medical Abbreviation)
Learn the meaning of ECG (Medical Abbreviation)
- Meaning of ALD (Medical Abbreviation)
- Medical Abbr - Medical abbreviation dictionary
Free medical/nursing abbreviation dictionary...
- How to pronounce abbreviation - Open Education Sociology Dictionary
Pronunciation of abbreviation. Learn key sociology terms at...
- Dictionary - abbreviation
Dictionary - abbreviation.
- Lrnteach/TEFL Dictionary: Abbreviation
View more videos about Syllabic Abbreviation.
See also the pronunciation examples of Abbreviation!
Quotes about Abbreviation
Scrabble value of A1B3B3R1E1V4I1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 12-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abbreviation to see it in context!