On this page:
- Definition of the noun abecedarian
- Definition of the adjective abecedarian
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abecedarian
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abecedarian
- Photos about Abecedarian
- Video about Abecedarian
- Scrabble value of A1B3E1C3E1D2A1R1I1A1N1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun abecedarian
What does abecedarian mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abecedarians
- a novice learning the rudiments of some subject
- a 16th century sect of Anabaptists centered in Germany who had an absolute disdain for human knowledge
Alternative definition of the noun abecedarian
- One who is learning the alphabet; hence, a tyro.
- One engaged in teaching the alphabet
- One who is a beginner in some field.
- [rhetoric] A series of terms in an utterance in alphabetical order.
- [religion] A member of a XVI° century sect, follower of the Zwickau prophets (and specially of Thomas Storch) , believing that every kind of knowledge (even basic reading and writing) would keep one from reaching the holy faith.
Definition of the adjective abecedarian
What does abecedarian mean as an attribute of a noun?
Alternative definition of the adjective abecedarian
- Pertaining to, or formed by, the letters of the alphabet; alphabetic; hence, rudimentary.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abecedarian
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Reference for the Education of the Handicapped and Other Exceptional Children and Adults by Cecil R. Reynolds, Elaine Fletcher-Janzen
ABECEDARIAN. PROIECT. For the past quarter century, American education has been especially concerned with the academic performance of children from disadvantaged families. This special concern stems from the well-established fact ...
Dictionary of Christianity (2013)
by J.C. Cooper
Dictionary of phrase and fable. [A dictionary of English literature] by W.D. Adams, with additions (1885)
ABECEDARIAN. ABOMINATION. 8 Abeceda'rian. One who teaches or in learning hii ABC. Abecedarian hymns. Hymns which teean with the letter A, and each verse :r clause following took up the letters of tie alphabet in regular succession.
A Condensed Dictionary of the English Language Giving the Correct Spelling, Pronunciation and Definitions of Words Based on the Unabridged Dictionary of Noah Webster (1910)
by Noah Webster
ABECEDARIAN 2 ABROACH Abecedarian, a'be-se-da'rT-an, n. One who teaches or frequentative.
by Ernest Weekley
alphabet, abecedarian. Abderite. Democritus (q.v.), who was born at A bde ra (Theace) . Ci. Stngirite. abdicate. From L. abdicare, to proclaim ofl. abdomen. L., irom abdere, to hide away, irom ab and dare, to give. abdnct. For earlier abdnce.
A Comprehensive, Practical and Authoritative Guide on All Matters Connected with Education, Including Educational Principles and Practice, Various Types of Teaching Institutions, and Educational Systems Throughout the World by Foster Watson
ABECEDARIAN, or ABCDABIAN.— A teacher of the ABCD or alphabet, in use during the period preceding the organization of elementary education in the nineteenth century. The schools established under the Tudors were generally known ...
A Condensed Dictionary of the English Language, Giving the Correct Spelling, Pronunciation and Definitions of Words by Noah Webster, Noah Porter
Zobl Zoology, <□ equal to, the same aa ABECEDARIAN ...
Abecedarian, ābesedā′ rian, adj. pertaining tothe a,b,c: rudimentary.—Abecedarian Psalms (as the 119th ) or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abecedarian
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abecedarian
If you need images about Abecedarian for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Abecedarian
Dictionary - abecedarian
Scrabble value of A1B3E1C3E1D2A1R1I1A1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Abecedarian to find many related words and phrases!