The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun abhorrence:
On this page:
Definition of the noun abhorrence
What does abhorrence mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abhorrences
- hate coupled with disgust
- examples: Hypocrisy is my abhorrence. | I yield to no one in abhorrence of violence. | I must needs do him that justice to declare, that I never observed in him but an abhorrence to all base things. | He has an abhorrence of snakes.
- lexical domain: Feelings - nouns denoting feelings and emotions
- synonyms of abhorrence: abomination / detestation / execration / loathing / odium
- more generic words: disgust = strong feelings of dislike; hate / hatred = the emotion of intense dislike
Alternative definition of the noun abhorrence
- Extreme aversion or detestation; the feeling of utter dislike.
- A person or thing that is loathsome.
- Abhorrence was a Finnish death metal band.
- Abhorrence is a musical group.
- also known as Abhorrence Slovakia
- albums: "The Blood of Hatred", "This World Is Dead...", "Burial of Evil"
- Abhorrence is a musical group.
- album: "Evoking the Abomination"
There are other groups with in their name, like Agents of Abhorrence.
- "Abhorrence" is a musical EP of Abhorrence.
- released on (25 years ago)
- "Abhorrence" is a musical EP of Fallacy.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abhorrence
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Making Sense of Illness (1994)
The Social Psychology of Health and Disease by Alan Radley
Abhorrence is the reaction of the healthy to the stigmata that the chronically ill may bear. Of course, afflicted people will vary as to whether they bear any visible mark of the disease, and as to how that disease is viewed in general. For example ...
Keeping in Touch (2007)
Posthumous Papers on Ignatian Topics by S. J. Michael Ivens, S. J. Joseph A. Munitiz
Since abhorrence is the corollary of *desire, conversion (the Spirit-given realignment of desire) is only complete if it brings about a Spirit-given re- alignment of the capacity to abhor. To the extent to which the values of a pre- converted outlook ...
Lord of the Flies (1983)
by William Golding
The final and climactic abhorrence is the hunt for Ralph.
The Holy Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments, with Original Notes, Practical Observations, and Copious Marginal References (1814)
by Thomas Scott
But silent abhorrence is the proper censure of these abominable deeds of darkness, which are especially horrible under the light of revelation: even ungodly persons will execrate those, who perpetrate such outrages against common decency; ...
by Brian Giffin
A Pact With Madness (Obscure Abhorrence) 2009 An Alighnment of Dead Stars (Avantgarde) 2009 ...
Hating: abhorring; disgusting; hated; exciting abhorrence. Loathing, loathe' -ing, p. Feeling disgust at; having extreme aversion to, as loathing food ; hating: abhorring, as loathing sin. — s. Extreme disgust ; abhorrence. LoATIIINOLY, loathe1 ...
by Robert W. Kolb
Some defenders of the DCT counter the Abhorrence Objection by claiming that God is a loving God and would never issue ...
by Martin Manser
hatred, loathing, abhorrence, dislike, aversion, execration ant. like, love hate n. enmity, dislike, hostility, ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
contemn, despise, disdain, disgust, dislike, ill will, trouble 8 anathema, aversion, distaste, execrate, irritant, loathing, nuisance 9 animosity, antipathy, bete noire, deprecate, grievance, hostility, repulsion, revulsion 10 abhorrence, black beast, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abhorrence
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abhorrence
If you need images about Abhorrence for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video about Abhorrence
Dictionary - abhorrence
See also the pronunciation examples of Abhorrence!
Quotes about Abhorrence
Scrabble value of A1B3H4O1R1R1E1N1C3E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abhorrence to see it in context!