The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ability:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun ability and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ability
- Phrases with Ability
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ability
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ability
- Photos about Ability
- Video language resources about Ability
- Sign language
- Quotes about Ability
- Scrabble value of A1B3I1L1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ability
What does ability mean as a name of something?
Ability is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: abilities
- the quality of being able to perform; a quality that permits or facilitates achievement or accomplishment
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- antonym: inability
- more generic word: quality = an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone
- more specific terms:
- adaptability = the ability to change (or be changed) to fit changed circumstances
- sensitiveness / sensitivity = the ability to respond to affective changes in your interpersonal environment
- competence / competency = the quality of being adequately or well qualified physically and intellectually
- form = an ability to perform well
- interoperability = the ability to exchange and use information
- magical ability / magical power = an ability to perform magic
- Midas touch = an ability to make and manage large amounts of money
- penetration = the ability to make way into or through something
- physical ability = the ability to perform some physical act
- contractility = the capability or quality of shrinking or contracting, especially by muscle fibers and even some other forms of living matter
- capableness / capability = the quality of being capable -- physically or intellectually or legally
- totipotence / totipotency = the ability of a cell to give rise to unlike cells and so to develop a new organism or part
- immunocompetence = the ability to develop an immune response following exposure to an antigen
- possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of ability: power
- antonym of ability: inability
- more generic words: cognition / knowledge / noesis = the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning
- more specific terms:
- know-how = the (technical) knowledge and skill required to do something
- leadership = the ability to lead
- intelligence = the ability to comprehend
- aptitude = inherent ability
- bilingualism = the ability to speak two languages colloquially
- mental ability / capacity = the power to learn or retain knowledge
- creative thinking / creativeness / creativity = the ability to create
- originality = the ability to think and act independently
- science / skill = ability to produce solutions in some problem domain
- accomplishment / acquirement / acquisition / attainment / skill = an ability that has been acquired by training
- hand = ability
- superior skill = more than ordinary ability
- mental faculty / faculty / module = one of the inherent cognitive or perceptual powers of the mind
- attribute: able = having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something
Alternative definition of the noun ability
- [uncountable] The quality or state of being able.
- [countable] A skill or competence.
- [uncountable, countable] A high level of skill or competence.
- [uncountable] Suitability or receptiveness to be acted upon.
Specialised definition of the noun ability
Glossary of sports
general capacity to perform on a range of motor skills. Relatively permanent and enduring after childhood, and underlying the person's present state. Through to be both genetically determined and influenced by learning experiences. (Mark H. Anshel. 1991. Dictionary of the Sport and Exercise Sciences. Human Kinetics Books Champaign, Illinois)
- synonym: motor ability
a natural tendency to do something successfully or well (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a high degree of intelligence or competence (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a particular gift for doing something well (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- Ability is a webtoon written by Son Jae Ho and illustrated by Lee Gwang Su. Started on 2012, the webtoon manhwa was released on Naver and is still publishing. The author and artist of Ability also created the manhwa Noblesse.
- The Ability was a wooden ketch of 48 tons, owned by J. Breckenridge and built at William Woodward in 1878. She ran aground at Cape Hawke, New South Wales, in 1897.
- The Ability was a wooden Steamer coastal transport cargo ship of 140 tons, owned by Parsons, R & Plunkett. Ship was scuttled and abandoned off Newcastle, New South Wales on 3 June 1960 or off Sydney on 3 April 1965.
Phrases with Ability
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ability
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Consisting of Beautiful Thoughts, Choice Extracts and Sayings, of the Most Eminent Writers of All Nations, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time, Together with a Comprehensive Biographical Index of Authors, and an Alphabetical List of Subjects Quoted
Ability is a poor man's wealth. Let each...
Ability is that sufficiency which cometh from God.
Ability is the power of applying knowledge to practical purposes.
Human ability is an unequal match for the unforeseen vicissitudes of life.
The Decline of the Social by Gary N. Marks
Cognitive ability is an important concept in the social sciences, not only in psychology, but also in education, sociology and economics. In psychology, cognitive ability is a key concept involved in a range of mental processes, including problem solving, adaptation,
An Essay in Kantian Ethics by Robert N. Johnson
A complex ability is a unified set of basic sub-abilities.
Rethinking Disability (2012)
Bodies, Senses, and Things by Michael Schillmeier
dis/ability is the outcomeof human and nonhuman configurations and suggeststhat...
Rather, dis/ability refers to complex sets of heterogeneous practices that (re)associate bodies, material objects,and ...
Design for the Ages by Jon A. Sanford, M.Arch
Ability is the quality of being able to do something.
Hybrid Cultivar Development (1998)
by S.S. Banga, S.K. Banga
General combining ability is the average performance of an inbred line in a series of hybrid combinations, whereas specific...
ability refers to the deviation of the hybrid from the performance expected on the basis of general combining ability.
Emotional Intelligence 101 (2011)
by Moshe Zeidner, PhD, Gerald Matthews, PhD, Richard D. Roberts, PhD
The first dimension is whether the ability refers to personal emotions or to dealing with the emotions of others. The distinction here echoes an earlier division between intrapersonal and interpersonal abilities made by Gardner (1993). Gardner ...
Adult Development and Aging (2014)
by John C. Cavanaugh, Fredda Blanchard-Fields
Unexercised ability is the ability a normal, healthy adult would exhibit withoutpractice or training. Fluid intelligence is thought to be an example of untrained ability, because by definition, it does not depend on experience and is unlikely to be ...
by Torleiv Høien, Per Sundberg
CHAPTER 2 DECODING DIFFICULTIES - A MAJOR SYMPTOM OF DYSLEXIA Reading ability is a complex skill that builds on a number of decoding and comprehension processes. Decoding allows the reader to recognize and pronounce the ...
by Jessica Kuper
gf Fluid ability: This is the basic reasoning ability ...
by Jeffrey H. Greenhaus, Gerard A. Callanan
Reasoning, judging, reading, writing, mathematical reasoning, and related capabilities reflect mental capacity or cognitive ability. Abilities related to muscular activities and bodily movement are labeled psychomotor abilities. Examples of ...
by Roger Bartlett, Chris Gratton, Christer G. Rolf
POTTEIGER GOAL ORIENTATION GOAL ORIENTATION The way an athlete evaluates personal ability and success in athletic performance is known as goal orientation. Since the introduction of achievement goal theory to sport, ...
The American Experience by Jeffrey A. Raffel
ABILITY GROUPING. The placement of students with purportedly similar abilities or attainment into the same classroom, educational program, or instructional group. The placement may range from temporary groups in individual classrooms to ...
by Vincent A. Anfara, Gayle Andrews, Steven B. Mertens
The educational terms "tracking" and "ability grouping" are often seen as synonymous, and since tracking is widely viewed to have negative effects, so is ability grouping. While the two can share very similar characteristics depending on how ...
by Stephen J. Farenga, Immanuel Ness
̄ Ability grouping involves creating grouping arrangements that are made up of students who are believed to be similar in the skills that are required for particular instruction. For example, ability grouping might be based on academic skills in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ability
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ability
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: datakid musicman
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ability
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary - Verbal Ability part - 1
This is a video by Verbal Ability expert Ms. Isha Singh, featured under TRNITi experts speak secton, that elaborates the how to understand and learn new words ...
- Hearthstone 101: Card Ability Explanation and Tips and Tricks
Hearthstone 101: Card Ability Explanation and Tips and Tricks. This video explains the different main abilities. What they do, how to trigger them, and tips and ...
- FFXI Beginner Scholar Ability Explanation
Quick video showing how the Arts and Addendum abilities work - view annotations for the info!
- Coding And Decoding | Reasoning | Reasoning Ability | Bank Exam Tricks Answers With Explanation
In a certain code BRING is written as ' 53@#2 ' and GUIDE is written as ' [email protected] ' . How is GINGER written in that code ? Coding And Decoding , Reasoning ...
- Ability Capsule Explanation!
via YouTube Capture.
- Organizing Function Of A Manager | Organizing Closets Hangers | Organizing Ability Definition
- TSPSC Exam Model Questions With Explanation-Numerical Ability Percentage
TSPSC Exam Model Questions With Explanation-Percentage In a school 75% of the children are attending coaching classes, and remaining 245 children study ...
- Abundance definition by Bashar: 'The ability to do what you need to do when you need to do it'
Bashar on Abundance: 'The ability to do what you need to do when you need to do it' Bashar is a multi-dimensional energy being who speaks through the ...
- Using Song Activities to Promote English Speaking Ability and Vocabulary Knowledge
Research Title : Using Song Activities to Promote English Speaking Ability and Vocabulary Knowledge of Grade Level 1 Students The researcher is Miss ...
- Organizing Committee London 2012 | Metal Organizing Baskets | Meaning Organizing Ability
- Pokemon 3rd Gen Wi-Fi Battle #37: "Meaning of Ability" (vs Worior)
- Ability to pay Meaning
Video shows what ability to pay means. An individual's level of wealth or income, as a measure of the tax rate they can afford to pay.. Ability to pay Meaning.
- Interaction Foster Your Ability to Communicate Meaning
Lina and Bayardo's Project. This project is developed in terms of giving learners opportunities to improve their interaction.
- Meaning to Matter and The ability to see th e moment
- Meaning and Pronunciation of ABILITY
- Teaching Skills : How to Help Young Children Improve Their Language Ability
To help your child improve their language ability, read to them and talk about what you have read. Read signs and cereal boxes to improve your child's ...
- [Dis]Ability: Language, Identity, and Abolishing the Affix | Amanda Liles at MIIS Happening
- Phrasal Verb, Word Usage of Verbal Ability (CAT/CMAT/GRE/GMAT)
This video explains use of phrasal verbs generally asked in form of fill in the blanks or choosing the correct usage in the verbal ability section. It explains the kind ...
- Teaching Mixed Ability Levels English (esl/efl)
A presentation on how to teach English to students of mixed abilities in the same group.-- Created using PowToon -- Free sign up at...
- The Secret to Improving Language Ability Revealed!
Try LEXI here!
- 45 Be Able To - Too+Adjective - Ability - Obligati
- Assessment of ELLs with Language Impairment: Evaluating Ability to Follow Directions
Afeefa, the interpreter, ensures that the student understands the vocabulary used in the Token Test for Children. She administers the test in Arabic, the student's ...
- 45 E ABLE TO TOO+ADJECTIVE ABILITY OBLIGATION -SBS TV A
- What is Human Consciousness - Ability to use language for abstract information transfer
What is Consciousness - Ability to use language for abstract information transfer for evolutionary learning advantage ?
- Language, thought and ability to criticize
- Mixed Ability Grouping and Integrated Language Arts
Mixed Ability Grouping and Integrated Language Arts.
- Dictionary : Ability
Dictionary Meaning of the word Ability.
- Ability - Fine Manipulative Job Description
- The gift of tongues: the ability to speak fluently in a language you've never learned
- Learning Languages - Increase Native Language Ability - Just Learn Languages
See also the pronunciation examples of Ability!
Click on an item to play that video:
- CCSW 14/15 Celebrate Diverse Ability Sign Language for event
- Deaf teacher learn children sign language ability
- An American Sign Language Ad Will Test Your Ability to Like Facebook Videos
Video is the next big wave for the internet, but it has two major enemies: viewers don't stick around too long, and autoplay is the enemy of a civilized Web ...
- RIley shows his sign language ability, June 26th, 2009
Quotes about Ability
Scrabble value of A1B3I1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ability to see it in context!