Ablative appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Spare vital bases runts dim amidst nurses’ ablative raps.
- Sebastian, an ablative node divided one vital banana – it’s Abe’s.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ablative
- Definition of the adjective ablative
- Phrases with Ablative
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ablative
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ablative
- Photos about Ablative
- Video language resources about Ablative
- Scrabble value of A1B3L1A1T1I1V4E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ablative
What does ablative mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ablatives
- the case indicating the agent in passive sentences or the instrument or manner or place of the action described by the verb
Alternative definition of the noun ablative
- [grammar] The ablative case.
Definition of the adjective ablative
What does ablative mean as an attribute of a noun?
- relating to the ablative case
- tending to ablate; i.e. to be removed or vaporized at very high temperature
- example: ablative material on a rocket cone
- similar: subtractive
Alternative definition of the adjective ablative
- [obsolete] Taking away or removing.
- [grammar] Applied to one of the cases of the noun in some languages, the fundamental meaning of the case being removal, separation, or taking away.
- [context: engineering, nautical] Sacrificial, wearing away or being destroyed in order to protect the underlying, as in ablative paints used for antifouling.
Ablative: In Latin grammar, the ablative case is one of the six cases of nouns. It has at least fifteen documented uses. Generalizing their function, however, ablatives modify or limit verbs by ideas of where, when, how, etc. Hence, the case is sometimes also called the adverbial case; this can be quite literal, as phrases in the ablative can be translated as adverbs. E.g. magnā celeritāte, literally "with great speed", may also be translated "very quickly.
Phrases with Ablative
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ablative
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Joseph Angelo
Contemporary fiberglass-resin ablative materials can achieve over 10 7 J/kg thermal energy removal efficiencies through sublimation processes during reentry. Ablative cooling generally is considered to be the leastmassiveintensive approach ...
A Guide to the Language of Engineering by Ron Hanifan
A -2- Ablative Materials heating effects on missile nose cones during re-entry. Using the ablative approach, the nose cone material is subjected to thermal degradation involving pyrolysis, depolymerization, melting, vaporization, and ...
by Mel Schwartz
The ablative material must have a low thermal conductivity in order that the heat may remain concentrated in the thin surface layer. As the surface of the ablator melts or sublimes, it is wiped away by the frictional forces that simultaneously heat ...
ABLATIVE, in Grammar, the sixth case of Latin nouns. The word is formed from auferre, " to take away." Priscian also calls it the comparative case; as serving among the Latins for comparing, as well as taking away. The ablative is opposite to ...
by Jean-Christophe Verstraete, Bruce Rigsby
ABLATIVE: The ablative marker is -mu.19 Because we can recognize one of the untranscribed narratives by Jinny Long as a travelogue, we have quite a few analysable attestations of 'from-to' clauses like (19) and (20) below, even if we ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ablative
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ablative
If you need images about Ablative for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about Ablative
Click on an item to play that video:
- Genitive and ablative of description
Genitive and ablative of description.
- Ablative of Comparison; Ablative of Degree of Difference; Genitive of Description
- Ch. 40: Questions, Fear Clauses, Genitive/Ablative of Description
This video syncs with Ch. 40 of Wheelock's Latin.
- Dictionary - ablative
- Genitive & Ablative of Description pg 102
See also the pronunciation examples of Ablative!
Scrabble value of A1B3L1A1T1I1V4E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ablative to see it in context!