On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ablution
What does ablution mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ablutions
- the ritual washing of a priest's hands or of sacred vessels
Alternative definition of the noun ablution
- [chemistry] Originally, the purifying of oils and other substances by emulsification with hot water; now more generally, a thorough cleansing of a precipitate or other non-dissolved substance. [definition from 15th c.]
- The act of washing or cleansing the body, or some part of it, as a religious rite. [definition from 16th c.]
- [context: Western Christianity] The rinsing of the priest's hand following the Communion with, depending on rite, water or a mix of it and wine, which may then be drunk by the priest. [definition from 17th c.]
- [literary or humorous, usually, in plural] Washing oneself; bathing, cleaning oneself up. [definition from 17th c.]
- The water used in cleansing. [definition from 17th c.]
- [context: Orthodox Christianity] The ritual consumption by the deacon or priest of leftover sacred wine of host after the Communion.
"Ablution" is a 2012 short comedy film written by Freddy White and directed by Vicky Lawton.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producers: David Allain & Jess Gormley
- executive producer: Rankin
- production design by Anna Rhodes
- written by Freddy White
- cinematography by Gabi Norland
- edited by Hayley Trangmar
- genre: Comedy
- released in
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ablution
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Imran Ahsan Khan Nyazee
Ablution is a condition for prayer and the presence of witnesses a condition for the marriage contract. The existence of witnesses, however, does not necessarily mean that a marriage has taken place, yet without witnesses a marriage would ...
Cleanliness In Islam (2008)
by Remzi Kuscular
Ablution is a preparation for turning towards God.
Ibadat and Adat Among Javanese Muslims by A.G. Muhaimin
Ablution is a kind of ceremonial bathing that involves washing 93 ...
by DF Ryschka
The ablution is a long rectangular building, with the walls appearing to be only half-finished. Surrounding the buildings is a simple, five-foot-wide strip of corrugated asbestos cladding, similar to what is on all of the roofs, leaving a two- foot gap ...
A Shi'ite Encyclopedia (2014)
by Ahlulbayt Organization
make AhlulBayt infallible any more than verse 5:6 makes anyone who performs ablution infallible! Allah sates: O you who believe! when you prepare for prayer wash your faces and your hands to the elbows; rub your heads and your feet to the ...
by James Orr
are regarded by them as warranting the inference that ablution of the hands was prerequisite to any holy act. This is the form of ...
Nyāya-Vaiśeṣika from Gaṅgeśa to Raghunātha Śiromaṇi by Karl H. Potter, Sibajiban Bhattacharyya
The inference is this: ablution is the cause of proper pounding, because it is prescribed only for pounding, as in the case of the grains. Since grains pounded without prior ablution are not productive of the result, it has to be admitted that it is ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
Sir, Putrefaction, Solution, ablution, sublimation, Cohobation, Calcination, Ceration, and Fixation. Jonson's Alchemist, act ii. sc. 4. Hearts may be found, that harbour at this hour That love of Christ, and all its quick'ning pow'r And lips unstain'd ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ablution
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ablution
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: MIYAZAKI HIROSHI & N73
L - Canadians
R - Russians
Photo credit: bboylanky
Photo credit: aye jay
Photo credit: cotaro70s
Photo credit: jonny2love
- Ablution place
Photo credit: simsimt
Photo credit: 7 july :-)
- Water ablution pavilion at the Hibara shrine
Photo credit: coniferconifer
- Ablution Fountain
Ablution Fountain in the middile of the madina souq dates back to 1106
Photo credit: khalid Albaih
- A water ablution pavillion
a Shinto water ablution pavilion for ceremonial purification
Photo credit: coniferconifer
- Ablution automnale
Photo credit: YLegrand
- Ablution area
Photo credit: naimfadil
- Ablution containers
Photo Credit: eThekwini Water and Sanitation
Photo credit: worldwaterweek
- Ablution room
Where women clean themselves prior to prayer
Photo credit: katedubya
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ablution
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Ablution!
Scrabble value of A1B3L1U1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABLUTION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ablution!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ablution to see it in context!