The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun abnormality:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun abnormality and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun abnormality
- Phrases with Abnormality
- Printed books with definitions for Abnormality
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abnormality
- Photos about Abnormality
- Video language resources about Abnormality
- Quotes about Abnormality
- Scrabble value of A1B3N1O1R1M3A1L1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abnormality
What does abnormality mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abnormalities
- an abnormal physical condition resulting from defective genes or developmental deficiencies
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of abnormality: abnormalcy
- antonym of abnormality: normality
- more generic terms: physical condition / physiological condition / physiological state = the condition or state of the body or bodily functions
- more specific terms:
- acardia = congenital absence of the heart
- acephalism / acephalia / acephaly = absence of the head
- acorea = absence of the pupil in an eye
- acromicria / acromikria = abnormally small extremities
- acromphalus = abnormal protrusion of the navel
- amastia = absence of the mammary glands
- aneuploidy = an abnormality involving a chromosome number that is not an exact multiple of the haploid number
- anorchidism / anorchism / anorchia = absence of one of both testes
- asynclitism / obliquity = the presentation during labor of the head of the fetus at an abnormal angle
- atresia = an abnormal condition in which a normal opening or tube in the body (as the urethra) is closed or absent
- brachydactylia / brachydactyly = abnormal shortness of fingers and toes
- cryptorchidism / cryptorchidy / cryptorchism = failure of one or both testes to move into the scrotum as the male fetus develops
- deviated septum = abnormal displacement of any wall that separates two chambers
- dextrocardia = abnormal condition where the heart is located toward the right side of the chest
- ectrodactyly = congenital abnormality involving the absence of some fingers or toes
- erethism = an abnormally high degree of irritability or sensitivity to stimulation of an organ or body part
- foetal distress / fetal distress = an abnormal condition of a fetus
- megalohepatia / hepatomegaly = abnormal enlargement of the liver
- inversion = abnormal condition in which an organ is turned inward or inside out
- transposition / heterotaxy = any abnormal position of the organs of the body
- pneumothorax = abnormal presence of air in the pleural cavity resulting in the collapse of the lung
- macrencephaly = an abnormally large braincase
- hydatidiform mole / molar pregnancy / hydatid mole = an abnormality during pregnancy; chorionic villi around the fetus degenerate and form clusters of fluid-filled sacs
- hydramnios = an abnormality of pregnancy
- hypervitaminosis = an abnormal condition resulting from taking vitamins excessively
- hypospadias = an abnormal condition in males in which the urethra opens on the under surface of the penis
- lagophthalmos = abnormal condition in which an eye cannot close completely
- mental abnormality = any abnormality of mental function
- nanophthalmos = condition in which both eyes are abnormally small but otherwise normal
- palmature = an abnormality in which the fingers are webbed
- dysplasia = abnormal development (of organs or cells) or an abnormal structure resulting from such growth
- hydrocephalus / hydrocephaly = an abnormal condition in which cerebrospinal fluid collects in the ventricles of the brain; in infants it can cause abnormally rapid growth of the head and bulging fontanelles and a small face
- abrachia = the condition of having no arms
- progeria = a rare abnormality marked by premature aging (grey hair and wrinkled skin and stooped posture) in a child
- untypicality / atypicality = any state that is not typical
- arrested development / infantile fixation / regression / fixation = an abnormal state in which development has stopped prematurely
- aberration / aberrance / aberrancy / deviance = a state or condition markedly different from the norm
- cyclopia = a developmental abnormality in which there is only one eye
- spinal curvature = an abnormal curvature of the vertebral column
- subnormality = the state of being less than normal
- anomalousness / anomaly = deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule
- gynecomastia = excessive development of the breasts in males
- infantilism = an abnormal condition in which an older child or adult retains infantile characteristics
- megalocephaly / macrocephaly / megacephaly = an abnormally large head
- microbrachia = abnormally small arms
- microcephalus / microcephaly / nanocephaly = an abnormally small head and underdeveloped brain
- pachycheilia = an abnormal thickness of the lips
- phimosis = an abnormal tightness of the foreskin preventing retraction over the glans
- irritation = abnormal sensitivity to stimulation
- retroflection / retroflexion / retroversion = a turning or tilting backward of an organ or body part
- sequela = any abnormality following or resulting from a disease or injury or treatment
- strabismus / squint = abnormal alignment of one or both eyes
- torticollis / wryneck = an unnatural condition in which the head leans to one side because the neck muscles on that side are contracted
- varix = abnormally enlarged or twisted blood vessel or lymphatic vessel
- retardation sufficient to fall outside the normal range of intelligence
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of abnormality: mental defectiveness
- more generic terms: backwardness / mental retardation / retardation / slowness / subnormality = lack of normal development of intellectual capacities
- more specific word: feeblemindedness = severe mental deficiency
- marked strangeness as a consequence of being abnormal
- behavior that breaches the rule or etiquette or custom or morality
Alternative definition of the noun abnormality
- The state or quality of being abnormal; variation; irregularity
- antonym: normality
- Something abnormal.
Abnormality is a musical group.
- genre: Heavy metal
- albums: "Abnormality", "Contaminating the Hive Mind", "The Collective Calm in Mortal Oblivion"
- "Abnormality" is a musical single of Black Lung.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Abnormality" is a musical EP of Abnormality.
- released in (9 years ago)
Abnormality, in the vivid sense of something deviating from the normal or differing from the typical, is a subjectively defined behavioral characteristic, assigned to those with rare or dysfunctional conditions. Behavior is considered abnormal when it is atypical, out of the ordinary, causes some kind of impairment, or consists of undesirable behavior. who is normal or abnormal is a contentious issue in abnormal psychology.
- also known as 異常行為
Phrases with Abnormality
Printed books with definitions for Abnormality
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by K. Hillner
A good analogy for the traditional conception of abnormality is that of physical disease or biological defect. Either one of these is an absolute ...
Liver Disorders in Childhood (2013)
by Alex P. Mowat
The principal abnormality is a severe self-limiting disturbance of hepatic mitochondrial structure with decreased...
The second abnormality is an acute intense catabolic state which aggravates the mitochondrial dysfunction and its sequelae.
by I. Hart, R.W. Newton
Laboratory The striking abnormality is that the plasma alkaline phosphatase is greatly increased. The plasma calcium is...
Radiology In early Paget's disease the characteristic abnormality is an area of osteolysis. In the skull such areas are ...
Paediatric Cardiology (2009)
Expert Consult - Online and Print by Robert H. Anderson, Edward J. Baker, Andrew Redington, Michael L. Rigby, Daniel Penny, Gil Wernovsky
the early stages,195 marked abnormality is the rule. the heart is usually normal in size or slightly enlarged, with prominence of the pulmonary trunk. the lungs show a reticular appearance or ground-glass opacification, with or without kerley b ...
by George Frederick Stout, George Edward Moore
mental abnormality is any deviation of ...
Essential Medical Genetics (2011)
by Edward S. Tobias, Michael Connor, Malcolm Ferguson-Smith
The underlying cellular abnormality is a defective chloride ion channel, which leads to an increased thickness of secretions, for instance in the respiratory tract and exocrine pancreas.
Renal Stone Disease (2012)
Pathogenesis, Prevention, and Treatment by Charles Y.C. Pak
Lastly the term “idiopathic uric acid lithiasis” has been used to describe uric acid stone formation in normouricemic and normouricosuric patients in whom the only demonstrable abnormality is a persistently acid urine [108, 146,147]. Just as in ...
by Vishwanath Sardesai
Although the deficiency syndrome has not been seen in humans, these compounds have been used clinically in the treatment of diseases in which vascular abnormality is a factor; however, there is no evidence for a requirement of flavonoids ...
by B.G. Firkin
A particularly common chromosome abnormality is a 21, 8 translocation. One variety is associated ...
The Intersection of Neurosciences, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering, and Physics by Ivan Osorio, Hitten P. Zaveri, Mark G. Frei, Susan Arthurs
The puzzle arises because the ion channel abnormality is a fixed ...
With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access by Tom Lissauer, Graham Clayden
and no HbA is present • in β-thalassaemia major – only HbF is present • in β- thalassaemia trait – the main abnormality is an increased level of HbA2 • in α- thalassaemia trait – Hb HPLC is normal Figure 22.4 Diagnostic approach to anaemia.
by Byron Masterson
A common hymeneal abnormality is a simple strand connecting.
by J. C. Jacobs
Laboratory studies are not helpful in RP, the only consistent abnormality is an elevated ESR. However, laboratory studies are obtained ...
High Risk Pregnancy (2010)
Management Options - Expert Consult by David K. James, Philip J. Steer, Carl P. Weiner, Bernard Gonik
Such information should be included in genetic counseling, especially when termination for fetal abnormality is an issue. Further, screening strategies in the first trimester are cost-effective compared with the use of second-trimester ...
Brain Tumors (1999)
by Harry S. Greenberg, William F. Chandler, Howard M. Sandler
5–9 No one chromosomal abnormality is the cause of, ...
by Jimmie C. Holland, William S. Breitbart, Paul B. Jacobsen, Matthew J. Loscalzo, Ruth McCorkle, Phyllis N. Butow
abnormality identified with a southern blot analysis and/or florescence in situ hybridization; i12p abnormality is a chromosomal aberration associated with germ cell tumors.
by Linda Dominique Grosvenor
"The only abnormality is the incapacity to love." — Anals ACKNOWLEDGMENTS ...
by Stephen J. Ryan, Andrew P. Schachat, Charles P. Wilkinson, David R. Hinton, SriniVas R. Sadda, Peter Wiedemann
Selectively abnormal oscillatory potentials An OP abnormality means either reduction of amplitude or delay of implicit time, or both.
by Christopher M. Kramer, MD
SUSPECTED ACSS Echocardiography As mentioned above, 2D echocardiography detects a new ACS based on the relationship between MBF and regional WT—a new regional wall motion abnormality is an early manifestation of ischemia ...
Tutorials in Postgraduate Medicine by Basil C. Morson
PATHOLOGY The muscle abnormality is the most consistent and striking abnormality in diverticular disease. The taeniae coli appear thick, assuming an almost cartilaginous consistency. The circular muscle is thick and has a corrugated or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abnormality
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abnormality
Click on an item to view that photo:
Blackbird with leucism abnormality
Not a great photo but saw this blackbird and wondered what the white feathers were about. quick look on the BTO website suggests it might be leucism.
Photo credit: jonathan_siberry
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abnormality
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Abnormality!
Quotes about Abnormality
Scrabble value of A1B3N1O1R1M3A1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 11-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abnormality to see it in context!