The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun abode:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun abode
- Definition of the verb abode
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abode
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abode
- Photos about Abode
- Video language resources about Abode
- Quotes about Abode
- Scrabble value of A1B3O1D2E1
- Anagrams of ABODE
- Share this page
Definition of the noun abode
What does abode mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abodes
- any address at which you dwell more than temporarily
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of abode: residence
- more generic word: address = the place where a person or organization can be found or communicated with
- more specific terms:
- housing that someone is living in
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of abode: domicile / dwelling / dwelling house / habitation / home
- more generic terms: housing / living accommodations / lodging = structures collectively in which people are housed
- more specific terms:
- cliff dwelling = a rock and adobe dwelling built on sheltered ledges in the sides of a cliff
- condominium / condo = one of the dwelling units in a condominium
- fixer-upper = a house or other dwelling in need of repair
- fireside / hearth = home symbolized as a part of the fireplace
- hermitage = the abode of a hermit
- homestead = dwelling that is usually a farmhouse and adjoining land
- house = a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families
- lake dwelling / pile dwelling = dwelling built on piles in or near a lake
- indian lodge / lodge = any of various Native American dwellings
- messuage = a dwelling house and its adjacent buildings and the adjacent land used by the household
- semi-detached house = a dwelling that is attached to something on only one side
- vacation home = a dwelling (a second home) where you live while you are on vacation
- yurt = a circular domed dwelling that is portable and self-supporting
- bathroom = a room (as in a residence) containing a bathtub or shower and usually a washbasin and toilet
- sleeping accommodation / sleeping room / bedchamber / bedroom / chamber = a room used primarily for sleeping
- den = a room that is comfortable and secluded
- dinette = a small area off of a kitchen that is used for dining
- dining room / dining-room = a room used for dining
- dressing room = a room in which you can change clothes
- family room = a recreation room in a private house
- kitchen = a room equipped for preparing meals
- sitting room / living room / living-room / front room / parlour / parlor = a room in a private house or establishment where people can sit and talk and relax
Alternative definition of the noun abode
- [obsolete] Act of waiting; delay.
- [uncommon outside fixed expressions] Stay or continuance in a place; sojourn.
- [formal] A residence, dwelling or habitation.
- [obsolete] An omen.
Definition of the verb abode
What does abode mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: aboded | aboding | abodes
- past of abide
- [transitive] [obsolete] To bode; to foreshow; to presage.
- [intransitive] [obsolete] To be ominous.
Abode is a musical group.
- album: "Tragic Art"
"Abode" is an artwork by Subhaprasanna.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abode
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Bedoueen Romance by ʿAntara Ibn-Šaddād
But our abode is a barren ...
by ʻAntarah b. Shaddâd (al-ʻAbsî.)
But our abode is a barren ...
by Mathieu Guidère
DAR AL-HARB/ABODE OF WAR. Designated as the land where Islam does not rule, Dar al-Harb is a territory where, according to Islamic fundamentalists, fighting can occur. Therefore, Dar al-Harb is not a Muslim area because sharia ( Islamic ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
abode. of. the. Grecian. gods. fervent, fiery, flaming, flashing, frenzied, furious, glaring, gleaming, glowing, ignited, illuminated, impassioned, incensed, lighted, luminous, passionate, radiant, raging, sparkling, stimulated able accomplished, ...
by Henry Watson Fowler, Jeremy Butterfield
abode. In the meaning 'a dwelling place', ...
Wörterbuch der Handels-, Finanz- und Rechtssprache / Dictionary of Commerical, Financial and Legal Terms / Dictionnaire des Termes Commerciaux, Financiers et Juridiques (2012)
Aufenthalt m | sojourn; abode; residence || Séjour m; résidence f | Verlängerung des ~s lengthening of stay || prolongation du séjour | dauernder (ständiger) ~ | permanent (habitual) residence || résidence habituelle | ohne festen ~ | with (of) no ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abode
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abode
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Living in Monrovia
- Odd Abode
White Sands, NM. This may look mysterious, but the hut is simply a (smelly) restroom, and nearby is a picnic table kinda thing.
Press L please.
Photo credit: Rohit Chhiber
- Abandoned Abode
Virginia City Historical District. Virginia City, Nevada
Photo credit: Renodesertfoxstill
- Summer Abode
Photo credit: Doolallyally
- ABode Manchester hotel
Photo credit: renaissancechambara
- Peculiar Abode
Photo credit: chefranden
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abode
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Abode!
Quotes about Abode
Scrabble value of A1B3O1D2E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABODE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Abode!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abode to see it in context!