On this page:
- Definition of the adjective abortive
- Definition of the noun abortive
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for abortive
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for abortive
- Photos about abortive
- Video about abortive
- Scrabble value of A1B3O1R1T1I1V4E1
- Anagrams of ABORTIVE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective abortive
What does abortive mean as an attribute of a noun?
- failing to accomplish an intended result
Alternative definition of the adjective abortive
- [rare] Produced by abortion; born prematurely; as an 'abortive' child.
- [obsolete] Made from the skin of a still-born animal; as an 'abortive' vellum.
- [obsolete] Rendering fruitless or ineffectual.
- Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an 'abortive' attempt.
- [biology] Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an 'abortive' organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
- [medicine] Causing abortion; as, 'abortive' medicines. - Parr
- [medicine] Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
Definition of the noun abortive
What does abortive mean as a name of something?
- [obsolete] That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion.
- [obsolete] A fruitless effort or issue.
- [obsolete] A medicine to which is attributed the property of causing abortion, abortifacient - Dunglison
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for abortive
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Elements of Botany; Or, an Introduction to the Sexual System of Linnæus. To which is Annexed an English Botanical Dictionary. Illustrated by Copper-plates (1802)
by Richard HALL (M.D.)
Flowers somewhat umbellate; central ones abortive. Seeds muricated. Eryngium. Flowers capitate. Receptacle chaffy. Heracleum. Flowers radiate; some abortive. Involucre deciduous. Seeds membranous. - Oenanthe. Flowers radiate; outer ...
by Wilhelm Kirch
Abortive Plague Synonyms Mild course of plague; ...
Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference
*ABORTIVE. n.s. That which is born before the due time. Perhaps anciently any thing intgularly produced.— No common wind, no customed event, But they will pluck away its nat'ral causes, And call them meteors, prodigies, and figns, ...
Abortive Treatment Methods of aborting headaches in ...
by Cuthbert William Johnson
ABORTIVE CORN ABSCESS. becomes abortive, in consequence of cold winds or frosts in spring checking the flow of the nutritive juices ; and after losing its healthy colour it shrivels, and falls. The same effects arise when the leaves of fruit - ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
* ABORTIVE, n.f. That which is born before the dot time. Perhaps anciently any thing rrjnlarfv produced. No common wind, no customed event, ...
by Marc H.V. van Regenmortel, Brian W.J. Mahy
Finally, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish abortive infection from latent infection. Abortive infection leaves either the complete viral genome or genome fragments deposited in host cells but these do not constitute a biological reservoir for ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for abortive
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about abortive
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about abortive
The Y.K. Dictionary - Abortive
The World's fastest and easiest Movie Dictionary! Intermediate vocabulary available for all people to enjoy! Watch it now...the new learning experience...The Y.K. ...
See also the pronunciation examples of abortive!
Scrabble value of A1B3O1R1T1I1V4E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABORTIVE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of abortive!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of abortive to see it in context!