On this page:
- Definition of the adjective abrupt
- Definition of the noun abrupt
- Definition of the verb abrupt
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abrupt
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abrupt
- Photos about Abrupt
- Video language resources about Abrupt
- Quotes about Abrupt
- Scrabble value of A1B3R1U1P3T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective abrupt
What does abrupt mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more abrupt / abrupter | most abrupt / abruptest
- marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions
- exceedingly sudden and unexpected
- examples: came to an abrupt stop | an abrupt change in the weather
- similar: sudden
- extremely steep
- surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner
- example: an abrupt reply
- similar: discourteous
Alternative definition of the adjective abrupt
- Extremely steep or craggy as if broken up; precipitous.
- Without notice to prepare the mind for the event; sudden; hasty; unceremonious.
- Curt in manner; rude; uncivil; impolite.
- Having sudden transitions from one subject or state to another; unconnected.
- [botany] Suddenly terminating, as if cut off; truncate.
Definition of the noun abrupt
What does abrupt mean as a name of something?
- [poetic] Something which is abrupt.
Definition of the verb abrupt
What does abrupt mean as a doing word?
- [transitive] To tear off or asunder.
- To interrupt suddenly.
"Abrupt" is a 2013 short animated film directed by Ayodê França de Morais and Paulo Leonardo Fialho de Paiva e Sozua.
- also known as Abrupto
- country: Brazil
- directors: Ayodê França de Morais & Paulo Leonardo Fialho de Paiva e Sozua
- producers: Ayodê França de Morais & Paulo Leonardo Fialho de Paiva e Sozua
- genre: Animation
- released on
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abrupt
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by William S. Wang
phoneticly gradual and lexically abrupt, is only...
phonetically abrupt and lexically ...
by Rayford Anthony
However, an abrupt bend, such as a square bend or tee, resulted in backmixing, which affected the overall riser solids volume fraction profile up to 20 L/D's below the exit region, Similar effects for solids fluxes are reflected in the data of Kruse ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
cut short Abroad—overseas Abrogate—abolish, annul, cancel, invalidate, nullify Abrupt—brusque, curt, hasty, rough, rude, sudden, terse, unanticipated, unexpected, unforeseen Abrupt and unsympathetic treatment—short shrift Abrupt in ...
A-E by S. George Philander
There have also been more recent changes in temperature, with suggestions that the collapse of the Mayan Empire in Mexico in the 8th and 9th centuries was possibly caused by a regional abrupt climate change, although others have pointed ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
squeeze, survey, synopsis abroad afar, broadly, continental, expansively, outside, overseas, prevalent, widely abrogate annul, cancel, liberate, nullify, quash, repeal, rescind, revoke, suspend, void, withdraw abrupt bluff, blunt, boorish, brief, ...
by S. George Philander
Mayan Empire in Mexico in the 8th and 9th centuries was possibly caused by a regional abrupt climate change, although others have pointed to the greater likelihood that this stemmed from overpopulation, foreign invasions, epidemics, and ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
ABRUPT - ABUSE gate, nullify, overrule, quash, remit, repeal, repudiate, rescind, revoke, void abrupt: blunt, brief, brisk, brusque, fast, gruff, hasty, headlong, impetuous, impolite, precipitous, quick, rude, sharp, snippy, steep, sudden, swift, terse ...
by Frank J. Ayd
quetiapine/abrupt withdrawal well tolerated and effective for treatment of positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Doses in trials ranged from 75 to 750 mg, titrated to clinical response and tolerability. Positron emission tomographic ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abrupt
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abrupt
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abrupt
Click on an item to play that video:
- Video Vocabulary - "abrupt " definition
- Abrupt - Word-A-Week Vocabulary Vlog
Aaron Poole attempts to remind you lovely internet speaking people that there are real words out there still worth using. Hosted...
- Abrupt (Adjective) - Daily Dictionary
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Abrupt"
See also the pronunciation examples of Abrupt!
Quotes about Abrupt
Scrabble value of A1B3R1U1P3T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abrupt to see it in context!