The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb abscond:
On this page:
Abscond (to depart secretly) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's absolutely essential words for the GRE, which includes 300 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
Definition of the verb abscond
What does abscond mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: absconded | absconding | absconds
- run away; usually includes taking something or somebody along
- example: the accountant absconded with the cash from the safe
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of abscond: absquatulate / bolt / decamp / go off / make off / run off
- more generic terms: flee / fly / take flight = run away quickly
- more specific word: levant = run off without paying a debt
Alternative definition of the verb abscond
- [intransitive] To hide; to withdraw; to be concealed
- [intransitive] To depart secretly; to steal away, particularly to avoid arrest or prosecution
- [intransitive] To withdraw from, to leave from; to hide from
- [transitive] [obsolete] To hide [something] to conceal [something]; to take away [something]
Definition of the verb abscond for high school students
- to sneak away and hide
- example: In the confusion, the super-spy absconded into the night with the secret plans.
The verb abscond is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
"Abscond" is a musical album of Skip Jensen.
- released on (6 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abscond
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Objective English (2008)
Abscond means escaping from detention and mainly refers to embezzlement or theft in which property is illegally seized. 3. Exonerate means to free from accusation or blame. Format III In each of the following questions there are four words ...
The General Evening Post (1757)
tr; Edward Shaw is under 30 Years of Age, tall and thin; pretty much pitted with the Small-Pox, supposed to abscond is a Russet Coat, and a brown Wig. Thomas Watson is about 62 Years of Age, Roman-nosed, long ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
carbuncle, cyst, fester, furuncle, gumboil, lesion, papula, papule, pimple, pock, pustule, sore, swelling, ulcer, ulceration, whitlow abscisicacid dormin abscond abandon, AWOL, bolt, decamp, desert, disappear, eloign, elope, elude, escape, ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
disclaim, disown deny oneself: abnegate, abstain deny or retract a statement or belief: abjure, forswear, recant, renounce depart: abandon, abscond, bygone, decamp, deviate, die, digress, disappear, divide, exit, expire, farewell, forsake, go , ...
by Irving Shapiro
abscond To hide in order to avoid legal process, to leave a jurisdiction secretly. abscond (corrections) recommended statistical terminology To depart without authorization from a geographical area or jurisdiction, in violation ...
a swelling on the skin containing pus abscond accidental abscond (v) leave suddenly or secretly abseil (v) Page 11.
by Ambrose Bierce
WORD Abominable Aborigines Aborigines Abracadabra Abridge Abridgement Abroad Abrupt Abruption Abscond Abscond Absence Absent Absent Absentee Absolute Absolute Abstainer Abstemious Abstruseness Absurdity Absurdity ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abscond
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abscond
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Morgan.Everett
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abscond
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn English Vocabulary - New Word: Abscond - The Osama & Obama Story
Watch and learn the meaning and usage of the word 'Abscond'...
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from a Superhero/villain - Abscond, Alibi
Mr. "A" shares the Straight "A" Word of the Day - Abscond, Alibi.
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Abscond, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Meaning of the.
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Abscond"
Quotes about Abscond
Scrabble value of A1B3S1C3O1N1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abscond to see it in context!