Abseil appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Girlies ban an abseil rig.
- Tim, one month, girlies ban an abseil right no men omit.
- You bar our uglies, banana man: an abseil guru or a buoy.
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abseil
What does abseil mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abseils
- (mountaineering) a descent of a vertical cliff or wall made by using a doubled rope that is fixed to a higher point and wrapped around the body
Alternative definition of the noun abseil
- Such a descent.
Definition of the verb abseil
What does abseil mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: abseiled | abseiling | abseils
- descend by means of a rappel
- example: You have to learn how to abseil when you want to do technical climbing
- domain: athletics / sport
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of abseil: rappel / rope down
- more generic terms: come down / descend / fall / go down = move downward and lower, but not necessarily all the way
- entailment: mountaineer = climb mountains for pleasure as a sport
Alternative definition of the verb abseil
- [intransitive] To descend a steep or vertical drop using a rope with a mechanical friction device or (classic abseil) by wrapping the rope around the body; to rappel.
Specialised definition of the verb abseil
Glossary of sports
to descend a steep slope or vertical face using a rope that is secured at the top and passed through a series of coils or a harness around the body (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / alpinism
to descend on a fixed rope by means of sliding and braking mechanisms (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for abseil
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Forget Me Knots (1992)
by Karl Rohnke
Abseil is the German/Swiss word for this activity. Rappelling is spelled with two L's. retired rope — Rope that has been used as belay line, but which has been removed from service for a variety of reasons — excessive wear, ultra-violet ...
Forensic Medicine (2003)
Clinical and Pathological Aspects by Jason Payne-James, Anthony Busuttil, William Smock
Abseiling An abseil is a gravity assisted descent in which an individual slides using a friction device down a rope which has been fixed to a fixed point (anchor) above.The process is made safer by the use of an additional (safety) rope.
by Christopher Gorse, David Johnston, Martin Pritchard, Martin Pritchard (BEng (Hons), PhD.)
abseil survey 2 abseil survey An inspection undertaken on a.
by Joel Alswang
abseil / rappel to descend a steep rock-face by using a doubled rope passing through a ...
Luxury Edition by Angus Stevenson, Maurice Waite
abseil /ˈabseɪl, -zʌɪl/ v. Brit. descend a near-vertical surface using a doubled rope running through a friction device or coiled round the body and fixed at a higher ...
Heinemann English Dictionary (2001)
by Martin Manser
abseil (ab-sail) verb to slide down a cliff or mountain, ustng a rope.
Oxford Dictionary of English (2010)
by Angus Stevenson
abseil /ˈabseɪl, -zʌɪl/ Brit. 7verb [no obj., with adverbial of direction] descend a rock face or other near-vertical surface by using a ...
Sports web encyclopaedia (2005)
JJ Canoeing and Rafting Main Page JJ Canoeing and Rafting, Wales' premier site for canoeing, kayak, canoes, rafting, abseil, climbing, quad biking, laser clay shooting, archery, gorge walking...
by V.S. Matyushenkov
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for abseil
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about abseil
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about abseil
Video shows what abseil means. To descend a steep or vertical drop using a rope with a mechanical friction device or (classic abseil) by wrapping the rope ...
Scrabble value of A1B3S1E1I1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the second edition of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABSEIL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of abseil!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of abseil to see it in context!