On this page:
- Definition of the noun absolute magnitude
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Absolute magnitude
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Absolute magnitude
- Video language resources about Absolute magnitude
- Quotes about Absolute magnitude
- Share this page
Definition of the noun absolute magnitude
What does absolute magnitude mean as a name of something?
- (astronomy) the magnitude that a star would have if it were viewed from a distance of 10 parsecs (32.62 light years) from the earth
- "Absolute Magnitude" is a composition.
- "Absolute Magnitude" is a musical album of Absolute Null Punkt.
- released in (7 years ago)
- Absolute Magnitude is a discontinued, semi-professional science fiction magazine started in 1993 under the name Harsh Mistress. However, in 1994 after only two issues the name was changed to Absolute Magnitude. In 2002 the name was changed again to Absolute Magnitude & Aboriginal Science Fiction when the publishers acquired the rights to Aboriginal Science Fiction. Absolute Magnitude was published by DNA Publications and edited by Warren Lapine. Although it was supposed to be a quarterly magazine its actual releases were irregular. After releasing twenty-one issues under the Absolute Magnitude title, the magazine ceased publication in March 2006.
- also known as Harsh Mistress
- award: - Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine nomination for Warren Lapine
- Absolute Magnitude: For stars and galaxies, this is the measure of an object's brightness derived from an adjusted apparent magnitude if the object were observed at a fixed distance of 10 parsecs with no appreciable intervening dust or other light-absorbing material. Objects in the Solar System should use the "absolute magnitude" property on the type "Star System Object", since it is a different measurement.
- The absolute magnitude of a solar system body is the apparent magnitude it would have if it were one astronomical unit from both its star and the observer. Note that this is a different measurement than the absolute magnitude of stars and galaxies.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Absolute magnitude
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by American Heritage Dictionary
is called its absolute magnitude. Absolute magnitude measures the intrinsic brightness of a celestial object rather than how bright it ...
by Peter Coles
The absolute magnitude. M. of a source is defined by notionally placing the object at some standard distance. For historical reasons, a distance of 10 parsecs is chosen: the absolute magnitude is therefore equal to the apparent magnitude the ...
Firefly Astronomy Dictionary (2003)
by John Woodruff
The absolute magnitude may be derived from the apparent magnitude (m1 and the parallax (.T) by the formula M = m + 5 + 5 log Jt where ;t is in seconds of arc. The absolute magnitudes of most stars lie between -5 and +15. The Sun has an ...
A Dictionary of Astronomy (2012)
by Ian Ridpath
absolute magnitude (M) 1. The brightness that a star would have if it were at a distance of 10 parsecs in perfectly clear space without *interstellar absorption.
by Donald Fenna
absolute magnitude astronomy Symbol ...
by Joseph A. Angelo
absolute magnitude ( symbol: M) ...
by Joseph A. Angelo
absolute magnitude (symbol: M) The measure of the brightness (or apparent magnitude) that a star would have if it were hypothetically located at a reference distance of 10 parsecs (10 pc), ...
by Richard A. Matzner
absolute magnitude See magnitude. absolute space and time In Newtonian Mechanics, it is implicitly assumed that the measurement of time and the measurement of lengths of physical bodies are independent of the reference ...
by Tilman Spohn, Doris Breuer, Torrence Johnson
The absolute magnitude, H, of a KBO is a way to compare the intrinsic brightness of one KBO with another KBO and it does not depend on distance. The absolute magnitude of the same KBO receding from the Sun and Earth will not change.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Absolute magnitude
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video language resources about Absolute magnitude
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Absolute magnitude
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'absolute magnitude"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Absolute magnitude to see it in context!