On this page:
- Definition of the verb abstain
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abstain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abstain
- Usage statistics about abstain
- Photos about Abstain
- Video language resources about Abstain
- Quotes about Abstain
- Scrabble value of A1B3S1T1A1I1N1
- Anagrams of ABSTAIN
- Share this page
Abstain (to choose not to do something) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Kaplan GRE Exam Vocabulary in a Box, which includes 500 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb abstain
What does abstain mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: abstained | abstaining | abstains
- refrain from voting
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] He refrained [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] from [Theme, subject control with -ing] He refrained from eating [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] from [Theme, not sentential clause] He refrained from the lurid activity while in the lady's company
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- more generic words: forbear / refrain = resist doing something
- choose not to consume
- example: I abstain from alcohol
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of abstain: desist / refrain
- antonym of abstain: consume
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb abstain
- [intransitive] Refrain from (something); hold one's self aloof; to forbear or keep from doing, especially an indulgence of the passions or appetites; -- with from.
- synonym: deny oneself
- [intransitive] To shun voluntarily.
- synonym: forbear
- [intransitive] Deliberately refrain from casting one's vote at a meeting where one is present.
- synonym: forgo
- [transitive] Hinder; withhold.
- synonym: give up
Definition of the verb abstain for high school students
- to freely choose not to commit an action
- example: Everyone demanded that Angus put on the kilt, but he did not want to do it and abstained.
The verb abstain is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Abstain is a musical group.
- albums: "Abstain", "My Virus Called Malice"
- "Abstain" is a musical EP of Abstain.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Abstain" a.k.a. "Abstain!" is a musical single of Five Thirty.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abstain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Ministry and Celibacy in the Earliest Christian Communities by Raymond F. Collins
is the principal verb; abstain is an infinitive ( fraudare). 16 The Greek particle an intensives the exceptive ei m∑ti. The intensifying particle is absent from ∏46 and a few other ancient manuscripts. In Latin, the ...
Sexuality Is Not in Creation (2014)
by Amoge Nwaeze
To abstain means that we will never do a thing or we getting involve in a thing. But moderation, is one being allowed to do a thing but in a minimized way, which means it is allowed. Abuse of sexuality is never allowed by God in all generation ...
by George Crabb
To abstain is the general term, to farbear and refrain are particular modes of abstaining. Abstaining is an act that may require no self-denial, nor oppose any inclination; forbean'ng and refraining both imply a certain degree of 0 position to the ...
With Copious Illustrations and Examples Drawn from the Best Writers. To which is Now Added an Index to the Words by George Crabb
To abstain is the general term, to forbear and refrain are parficular modes of abstaining. Abstaining is an act that may require no selfdenial, nor oppose any inclination; forbearing and refraining both imply a certain degree of opposition to the ...
by King Sulleyman D. Bachiesichang
abstain (verb) to avoid getting involved in an unpleasant activity or situation for fear that it may harm you. 8 The pastor cautioned the youth to abstain to premarital sex and stick to decent lives.
by J Mathis
To abstain from convoluting regular back torments you ought to move around no less than 20 minutes every day. For the duration of the day we sit, lie on the back, stand, walk, and so forth, which all applies gravity weight to the spine. We can ...
by Martha Craft-Rosenberg, Shelley-Rae Pehler
to abstain from killing ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
fascinating, interesting absorb into something else merge absorb into the system assimilate absorb liquid colour dye abstain abnegate, avoid, cease, curb, curtail, decline, deny, desist, discontinue, eschew, fast, forbear, for(e)go, quit, refrain, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abstain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about abstain
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb abstain:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb abstain and its most common antonym:
Photos about Abstain
Click on an item to view that photo:
A good incentive to abstain from gay bashing.
Banner reads "Supporting your right to marry and your right to carry." In the USA the "right to carry" is political shorthand for the legal and moral right to carry loaded concealed firearms on ones person.
Photo credit: Dan Skorupka
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abstain
Click on an item to play that video:
- Abstain Meaning
Video shows what abstain means. Keep or withhold oneself.. Refrain from (something); hold one's self aloof; to forbear or keep from doing, especially an ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Abstain, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Meaning of the.
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Abstain"
See also the pronunciation examples of Abstain!
Quotes about Abstain
Scrabble value of A1B3S1T1A1I1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABSTAIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Abstain!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abstain to see it in context!