On this page:
Definition of the noun academic freedom
What does academic freedom mean as a name of something?
- the freedom of teachers and students to express their ideas in school without religious or political or institutional restrictions
Alternative definition of the noun academic freedom
- The right to freely teach or learn without unreasonable interference from authority
- "Academic freedom" is a book by Conrad Russell.
- "Academic freedom" is a book by Cornelis de Kiewiet.
- also known as "Academic freedom, the second T.B. Davie memorial lecture delivered in the University of Cape Town on 26 July 1960"
- "Academic freedom" is a book by Robbie Westene Peguese.
- also known as "Academic freedom: the development of a model for higher education and its application to selected cases"
Academic freedom is the belief that the freedom of inquiry by faculty members is essential to the mission of the academy as well as the principles of academia, and that scholars should have freedom to teach or communicate ideas or facts without being targeted for repression, job loss, or imprisonment.
- also known as 学术自由
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Academic freedom
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gary McCulloch, David Crook
These three general principles persevere as components of contemporary academic freedom. Two broad, and sometimes competing, conceptualisations now generally encapsulate the three predecessors: individual academic ...
An Encyclopedia by James Ciment
Academic freedom is usually defined as the freedom of scholars and students to inquire and instruct without substantial prohibitive influence from sources within or outside the academic setting. If they enjoy a reasonable degree of academic ...
by Winston Langley
ACADEMIC FREEDOM AND HUMAN RIGHTS. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) assigns to “every individual and every organ of society” the responsibility to “strive by teaching and education to promote respect” for human ...
by R. Scruton
academic freedom power of government, which may or may not be used, and which need not be applied universally, or in every area of social existence. Sometimes, as in the European absolutism of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Academic freedom
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Academic freedom
Academic freedom Meaning
Video shows what academic freedom means. The right to teach or learn freely without unreasonable interference from authority, or fear of reprisal.. Academic ...
Quotes about Academic freedom
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Academic freedom to see it in context!