On this page:
- Definition of the noun acanthopterygian
- Definition of the adjective acanthopterygian
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for acanthopterygian
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for acanthopterygian
- Video about acanthopterygian
- Scrabble value of A1C3A1N1T1H4O1P3T1E1R1Y4G2I1A1N1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun acanthopterygian
What does acanthopterygian mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acanthopterygians
- a teleost fish with fins that are supported by sharp inflexible rays
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of acanthopterygian: spiny-finned fish
- more generic terms: teleost / teleost fish / teleostan = a bony fish of the subclass Teleostei
- more specific terms:
- squirrelfish = very small, brightly colored (especially red) nocturnal fishes of shallow waters or tropical reefs
- flashlight fish / anomalops = fish having a luminous organ beneath eye
- Photoblepharon palpebratus / flashlight fish = fish of deep dark waters having a light organ below each eye
- dory = marine fishes widely distributed in mid-waters and deep slope waters
- Capros aper / boarfish = fish with a projecting snout
- boarfish = fish with large eyes and long snouts
- prickleback / stickleback = small (2-4 inches) pugnacious mostly scaleless spiny-backed fishes of northern fresh and littoral waters having elaborate courtship
- batfish = bottom-dweller of warm western Atlantic coastal waters having a flattened scaleless body that crawls about on fleshy pectoral and pelvic fins
- Lophius Americanus / angler fish / anglerfish / goosefish / allmouth / monkfish / angler / lotte = fishes having large mouths with a wormlike filament attached for luring prey
- Opsanus tau / toadfish = bottom-dwelling fish having scaleless slimy skin and a broad thick head with a wide mouth
- frogfish = fish having a frog-like mouth with a lure on the snout
- sargassum fish = small fantastically formed and colored fishes found among masses of sargassum
- percoid fish / percoidean / percoid = any of numerous spiny-finned fishes of the order Perciformes
- sucking fish / suckerfish / remora = marine fishes with a flattened elongated body and a sucking disk on the head for attaching to large fish or moving objects
- silversides / silverside = small fishes having a silver stripe along each side
- barracuda = any voracious marine fish of the genus Sphyraena having an elongated cylindrical body and large mouth with projecting lower jaw and long strong teeth
- sand launce / sand lance / sand eel / launce = very small silvery eellike schooling fishes that burrow into sandy beaches
- dragonet = small often brightly colored scaleless marine bottom-dwellers
- scorpaenoid fish / scorpaenoid = fishes having the head armored with bony plates
- plectognath fish / plectognath = tropical marine fishes having the teeth fused into a beak and thick skin covered with bony plates or spines
- flatfish = any of several families of fishes having flattened bodies that swim along the sea floor on one side of the body with both eyes on the upper side
- member of: Acanthopterygii / superorder Acanthopterygii = teleost fishes having fins with sharp bony rays
Alternative definition of the noun acanthopterygian
- A spiny-finned fish.
Definition of the adjective acanthopterygian
What does acanthopterygian mean as an attribute of a noun?
- [zoology] Belonging to the order of fishes having spinose fins, as the perch.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for acanthopterygian
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1911)
In Bonaparte's system, same as the first family of acanthopterygian fishes in Cuvier's system (Perco'ides in French). It included those ...
by American Heritage Dictionary
acanthopterygian stances change from electrical insulators to conductors, while others change from conductors to insulators. Absolute zero has never been reached in laboratory experiments. See also Bose-Einstein condensate, zero- point ...
The Century dictionary (1914)
an encyclopedic lexicon of the English language by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
In Bonaparte's system, same as the first family of acanthopterygian fishes in Cuvier's system (Percoides in French). It included those ...
a work of universal reference in all departments of knowledge with a new atlas of the world by William Dwight Whitney, Benjamin Eli Smith
In Bonaparte's system, same as the first family of acanthopterygian fishes in Cuvier'B system (Percoides in French). It included those ...
Acanthopterygian, akanthoptėrij′ian, adj. having spiny fins. [Gr.akantha, thorn, pteryx, pterygos, a wing, afin.] Acanthus, akan′thus, n. a prickly plant, called bear's breech or.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for acanthopterygian
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about acanthopterygian
Video shows what acanthopterygian means. Any fish of the superorder Acanthopterygii.. acanthopterygian pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
Scrabble value of A1C3A1N1T1H4O1P3T1E1R1Y4G2I1A1N1
The value of this 16-letter word is 27 points. Since it has more than 15 letters, it can be played on Super Scrabble board only.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of acanthopterygian to find many related words and phrases!