The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun acceptance:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun acceptance and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun acceptance
- Phrases with Acceptance
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acceptance
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acceptance
- Photos about Acceptance
- Video language resources about Acceptance
- Quotes about Acceptance
- Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1P3T1A1N1C3E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acceptance
What does acceptance mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acceptances
- the mental attitude that something is believable and should be accepted as true
- example: acceptance of Newtonian mechanics was unquestioned for 200 years
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of acceptance: credence
- more generic terms: attitude / mental attitude = a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways
- more specific words:
- the act of accepting with approval; favorable reception
- example: the proposal found wide acceptance
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of acceptance: acceptation / adoption / espousal
- more generic words: approval / approving / blessing = the formal act of approving
- more specific words: embrace / bosom = a close affectionate and protective acceptance
- the state of being acceptable and accepted
- example: torn jeans received no acceptance at the country club
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- antonym: rejection
- more generic terms: situation / state of affairs = the general state of things
- more specific terms:
- vogue = a current state of general acceptance and use
- acknowledgement / acknowledgment / recognition = the state or quality of being recognized or acknowledged
- favourable reception / favorable reception / approval = acceptance as satisfactory
- acceptation = acceptance as true or valid
- contentedness / content = the state of being contented with your situation in life
- acquiescence = acceptance without protest
- welcome = the state of being welcome
- (contract law) words signifying consent to the terms of an offer (thereby creating a contract)
- banking: a time draft drawn on and accepted by a bank
- a disposition to tolerate or accept people or situations
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of acceptance: sufferance / toleration
- more generic words: permissiveness / tolerance = a disposition to allow freedom of choice and behavior
- more specific term: self acceptance = an acceptance of yourself as you are, warts and all
- the act of taking something that is offered
Alternative definition of the noun acceptance
- The act of accepting; a receiving of something offered, with approbation, satisfaction, or acquiescence; especially, favorable reception; approval
- State of being accepted.
- synonym: acceptableness
- [business, finance] An assent and engagement by the person on whom a bill of exchange is drawn, to pay it when due according to the terms of the acceptance.
- synonym: assent
- [business, finance] The bill of exchange itself when accepted.
- An agreeing to terms or proposals by which a bargain is concluded and the parties are bound; the reception or taking of a thing bought as that for which it was bought, or as that agreed to be delivered, or the taking possession as owner.
- [legal] An agreeing to the action of another, by some act which binds the person in law.
- [US Government] The act of an authorized representative of the Government by which the Government assents to ownership by it of existing and identified supplies, or approves specific services rendered, as partial or complete performance of a contract.
- [obsolete] acceptation
- [Australia, and, New Zealand, plural] A list of horses accepted as starters in a race.
Acceptance was an American alternative rock band from Seattle, Washington, formed in 1998. They released their first EP, Lost for Words, in 2000, followed by Black Lines to Battlefields in 2003. Their only album, Phantoms, was released in 2005.
- also known as Acceptace
- genres: Alternative rock, Rock music, Pop punk
- albums: "Phantoms", "Black Lines to Battlefields", "Lost for Words", "Unreleased"
- official website: www.acceptancerock.com
- "Acceptance": Fife exudes an irresistable warmth and authenticity through his music- Colette Placek, The Daily Herald.Brian Fife and Band is a unique blend of past and present, piano songwriting and aggressive guitar, seriousness and crazy good fun, all wrapped up in a style we like to call retropianocore. Brian describes himself as a piano player that listened to way too much Alice Cooper as a 3 year old, a spiritual person who is not afraid to have a good time, and this comes through in high-energy fashion on the band's latest release, Acceptance. Lyrically, Brian is not afraid to plummet the depths of his personal and spiritual experiences, but often in a sideways manner, covering topics such as Brian's cat running away written from the cat's perspective, a mere mortal trying to convince a league of superheroes that they need him on their team, and a birthday party gone totally awry. The band's live show incorporates an eye-popping mix of sweaty rock and roll, introspective piano ballads, odd random stage props, and enthusiastic though ultimately very bad dancing. The band captured much of their live feel in the studio, recording all of the basic tracks as a unit, feeding off of each other's energy and having a great time all the while. Every track reveals a band that wears it's love of music and life on its sleeve.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Acceptance" is a musical album of Lloyd Thayer.
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Acceptance" is a musical EP of Mecht Mensch.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Acceptance" is a musical album of Peter Bayreuther.
"Acceptance" is a 2014 novel by Jeff VanderMeer. It is the last in a series of three books called the Southern Reach Trilogy. It was released in the US on September 2, 2014. On March 15, 2014, Buzzfeed gave an exclusive first look at the cover to Acceptance along with an interview with Jeff VanderMeer.
- also known as "Acceptance: A Novel", Acceptance: A Novel (The Southern Reach Trilogy), Acceptance (Southern Reach Trilogy #3)
- released on
- official website: us.macmillan.com/acceptance-1/jeffvandermeer
"Acceptance" is a 2009 drama telefilm starring Mae Whitman and Joan Cusack. The movie was first aired on August 22, 2009 on Lifetime. This film is based on the critically acclaimed book Acceptance: A Novel by Susan Coll. The film was directed by Sanaa Hamri.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- executive producers: Sharon Cicero, Michele Samit, Ronnie D. Clemmer, Frank von Zerneck, Robert M. Sertner
- production design by James A. Gelarden
- written by Suzette Couture
- based on a story by Susan Coll
- casting by Susan Paley Abramson
- cinematography by Anthony B. Richmond & Frank Byers
- edited by Tod Feuerman
- music by Alan Derian, Richard Marvin
- costume design by Caroline B. Marx
- set decoration by Bradford Johnson
- genres: Television film, Family, Comedy
- released on (6 years ago)
Phrases with Acceptance
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acceptance
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The bank acceptance is the finest type of commercial paper we can create and we must create just as much of it as...
Paint, Oil and Drug Review (1918)
Our trade acceptance is an American institution, and it is called "trade" because □ on the face of it is written,
The Psychology of the Person (2012)
by Neville Symington
Acceptance is a faculty in the personality that transcends the inner and outer stimuli. It transcends it and is immanent. It is a quality like volume that permeates the material entity and yet is not it so transcends it. Freud's theory as elaborated in ...
by Mark Hayward, David Kingdon, Clara Strauss
Acceptance means learning to acceptthat this is how our minds work – accepting thatwe cannot control thethoughts that pop into our minds. Atthe sametime, acceptance also means learning that what our minds say–the negative thoughts ...
A law dictionary (1874)
by J. Bouvier
An express acceptance is an agreement in direct and express terms to pay a bill of exchange, either by the party on...
An absolute acceptance is a positive engagement to pay the bill according to its tenor, and is usually made by writing on the ...
Journey to Eternity (2010)
by Joree Williams
Acceptance is the last stage of grief; but do not be mislead by the word; acceptance does not mean that the pain is gone or that you will not grieve any...
by Edward Banyard Smith
Acceptance is a matter of fact but usually the parties' intentions are clearly spelled out in minutes of delivery that set out the...
The Worry Cure (2006)
Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You by Robert L. Leahy
Radical acceptance means that you are going to look at reality not the way you demand that it has to be but the way that it is. This is an...
The Warrior Soul (2015)
Five Powerful Principles to Make You a Stronger Man of God by Jerry Boykin, Stu Weber
Acceptance is the engine that drives and sustains the friendship. Paul directed the church to accept one another just as Christ accepted them (Rom. 15:7). Christ's acceptance was a gracious response that was open-handed, open- hearted, ...
Mindfulness For Dummies (2014)
by Shamash Alidina
Acceptance means perceiving your experience and simply acknowledging it rather than judging it as good or bad. You let go of the battle with your present- moment experience. For some people, the word 'acceptance' is off-putting–; replace it ...
Strategy, Trading, Analysis by Moorad Choudhry
A bankers acceptance is a written promise issued by a borrower to a bank to repay borrowed funds. The lending bank lends funds and in return accepts the bankers acceptance. The acceptance is negotiable and can be sold in the secondary ...
Mindfulness in Plain English (2011)
20th Anniversary Edition by Henepola Gunaratana
But acceptance is the essence of mindfulness. If we want to grow in mindfulness, we must accept what mindfulness finds. It may be boredom, irritation, or fear. It may be weakness, inadequacy, or faults. Whatever it is, that is the way we are.
by Festus Emiri
Free acceptance is a defendant-oriented ground of restitution.
Dictionary of Banking (1921)
A Concise Encyclopaedia of Banking Law and Practice by William Thomson, Lloyd Christian
An acceptance for honour is written across the bill as, “Accepted for the honour of John Brown, Thomas Jones," or, " Accepted supra protest, Thomas Jones,” or “ Accepted for the honour of John Brown with ,Q for notarial charges, Thomas ...
by Martin H. Weik
As the incidence angle approaches half the acceptance cone apex angle, the optical power measured by a photodetector approaches zero. This condition defines the limit of the ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen Reevy, Yvette Malamud Ozer, Yuri Ito
ACCEPTANCE 33 Further Reading: Ellis, A., & Harper, R.A. (1975). A guide to rational living. Chatsworth, CA: Wilshire. References: Arnkoff, D.B., & Glass, C.R. (1992). Cognitive therapy and psychotherapy integration. In D. Freedheim (Ed.), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acceptance
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acceptance
Click on an item to view that photo:
After 8 months-it happened in a heartbeat
Photo credit: mamanat - Alison Squiers Photography
Photo credit: Glen Murphy
Photo credit: Homini:)
Photo credit: mattymatt
Photo credit: chubstock
Mel Morton on what it means to be Irish: "Worldwide Acceptance".
Photo credit: topgold
Photo credit: photogramma1
Photo credit: Palinopsia_Films
41/365. And that white dress she's wearing, you haven't seen her for a while.
-Sometime Around Midnight.
Photo credit: Katelyn Kenderdine
Lensbaby Composer/sweet-35 optic;f/2.8, polarizer
Photo credit: Anne Worner
- Religious tolerance and acceptance
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- ::: acceptance :::
Photo credit: Jr'p
- Total Acceptance
Photo credit: Benjamin Dobson
Photo credit: Wendel F.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acceptance
Click on an item to play that video:
- Banker's acceptance Meaning
Video shows what banker's acceptance means. A negotiable instrument or time draft drawn on and accepted by a bank, that upon acceptance becomes an ...
- Acceptance Meaning
Video shows what acceptance means. The act of accepting; a receiving of something offered, with approbation, satisfaction, or acquiescence; especially, ...
- Meditation, Meaning, and Acceptance
- The Meaning of Acceptance
- Pro-GMO Hillary Clinton: Use 'Strategic Vocabulary' to win acceptance of GMO crops.
Listen particular from the 40-second mark below: it's something all activists should be aware of moving forward**** "Genetically modified sounds ...
- ACT English Meaning Question- American Acceptance
Solution to Testive ACT Question #ID6082.
- No Camp Chairs Poetry Picnic: The Meaning of Acceptance by Terrence
- Foundation Explanation and ACCEPTANCE
- The True Meaning of Acceptance
- Trust Recordings 001 Acceptance - 17 Dialect - Testa
TrusT Recordings, Britain (UK) trust001 -- acceptance Download the whole album in 320kbps MP3 format Check TrusT on Soundcloud: ...
- Empathy, Acceptance, Congruence: Group Dynamics in the Language Classroom
To download the full video free go to...
- Language Acceptance by a NFA : Theory of Computation
Acceptance by a NFA Theory of Computation Video lecture for gate exam preparation computer science Acceptance. of. Input. Strings. by. Automata. An NFA ...
- Special K coopting body acceptance language
- OBMBC- fAmily ~ "Acceptance at all times" (Burmese language)
- Multicultural Integration in ELL Language Arts and Acceptance video lesson mov
See also the pronunciation examples of Acceptance!
Quotes about Acceptance
Stop trying to be my friend
I know you're a nice person
Nice people need acceptance
you're barking up the wrong tree
I don't need acceptance
I only need to be liked by me
By Sara Fielder © 2012 (Sara Fielder)
more quotes about acceptance...
Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1P3T1A1N1C3E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acceptance to see it in context!