The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun access:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun access
- Definition of the verb access
- Phrases with Access
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Access
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Access
- Photos about Access
- Video language resources about Access
- Sign language
- Quotes about Access
- Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1S1S1
- Share this page
The word access and its family (accessed, accesses, accessibility, accessible, accessing, inaccessible) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun access
What does access mean as a name of something?
Access is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: accesses
- the right to enter
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of access: accession / admission / admittance / entree
- more generic word: right = an abstract idea of that which is due to a person or governmental body by law or tradition or nature
- more specific word: door = anything providing a means of access
- the right to obtain or make use of or take advantage of something (as services or membership)
- a way of entering or leaving
- example: he took a wrong turn on the access to the bridge
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of access: approach
- more generic word: way = any artifact consisting of a road or path affording passage from one place to another
- more specific words: entranceway / entrance / entryway / entree / entry = something that provides access
- a code (a series of characters or digits) that must be entered in some way (typed or dialed or spoken) to get the use of something (a telephone line or a computer or a local area network etc.)
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of access: access code
- more generic word: code = a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
- more specific terms: back door / backdoor = an undocumented way to get access to a computer system or the data it contains
- (computer science) the operation of reading or writing stored information
- domain: computer science / computing
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of access: memory access
- more generic word: operation = data processing in which the result is completely specified by a rule
- more specific term: disk access = memory access to the computer disk on which information is stored
- the act of approaching or entering
Alternative definition of the noun access
- [uncountable] A way or means of approaching or entering; an entrance; a passage.
- [uncountable] The act of approaching or entering; an advance.
- [uncountable] The right or ability of approaching or entering; admittance; admission; accessibility.
- [uncountable] Admission to sexual intercourse.
- [countable] An increase by addition; accession; as, an 'access' of territory.
- [countable] An onset, attack, or fit of disease; an ague fit.
- [countable] An outburst of an emotion; a paroxysm; a fit of passion; as, an 'access' of fury.
- [uncountable] [legal] The right of a non-custodial parent to visit their child.
- [uncountable] [computing] The process of locating data in memory.
- [uncountable] [internet] Connection to or communication with a computer program or to the Internet.
Specialised definition of the noun access
Glossary of sports
the easy availability of public sports facilities (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb access
What does access mean as a doing word?
Access is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: accessed | accessing | accesses
- obtain or retrieve from a storage device; as of information on a computer
- reach or gain access to
Alternative definition of the verb access
- [transitive] To gain or obtain access to.
- [transitive] [computing] To have access to (data).
- Access CO., LTD., founded in April 1979 and incorporated in February 1984 in Tokyo, Japan, by Arakawa Toru and Kamada Tomihisa, is a company providing a variety of software for connected and mobile devices, such as mobile phones, PDAs, video game consoles and set top boxes.
- also known as ACCESS CO., LTD.
- official website: www.access-company.com
- Access was a British and Irish credit card brand used by three of the big four UK banks plus a couple of other banks between 1972 and 1996. It was established by a consortium of banks in the UK to rival the already established Barclaycard. It became defunct in 1996 when it was taken over by Mastercard.
Who is Access?
access is a Japanese pop group. Its members are Daisuke Asakura and Hiroyuki Takami. Asakura is the primary composer/producer and featured keyboardist while Takami is the vocalist. Takami also writes a major portion of Access' lyrics. Access is signed with Darwin Records, Asakura's private label. The name "access" is stylized in lowercase letters.
- also known as AXS
- genres: J-pop, Pop music, Power pop, Synthpop, Electropop
- albums: "Naked Desire", "Moonshine Dance", "Misty Heartbreak", "Delicate Planet", "Crossbridge", "ACCESS II", "FAST ACCESS", "AXS SINGLE TRACKS", "DRASTIC MERMAID", "EDGE", "DRASTIC MERMAID Re-SYNC STYLE", "JEWELRY ANGEL", "MISTY HEARTBREAK Re-SYNC STYLE", "Only the love survive", "REAL AT NIGHT ～眠れぬ夜の向こうに～", "Re-sync GHOST", "Rippin' GHOST", "SCANDALOUS BLUE", "SEQUENCE MEDITATION～超電導思考回路", "SCANDALOUS BLUE Re-SYNC STYLE", "SWEET SILENCE", "TEAR'S LIBERATION", "TRY AGAIN", "TEAR'S LIBERATION Re-SYNC STYLE", "Virgin Emotion", "Access LIVE ONES SYNC-ACROSS JAPAN TOUR '93～'94", "Access LIVE ZEROS SYNC-ACROSS JAPAN TOUR '93～'94", "Access REMIX BEST TRACKS", "Diamond cycle", "夢を見たいから", "Doubt & Trust ～ダウト＆トラスト～", "Access best selection", "瞳ノ翼", "Higher Than Dark Sky", "Binary engine", "Secret Cluster", "Dream Runner"
- official website: www.access-web.jp
Access is a fictional character owned by both DC Comics and Marvel Comics. He made his first appearance in DC vs. Marvel #1, a special crossover between the two companies. He was created as both a way to explain the events of the story as well as a means to enable future intercompany crossovers.
- "Access" is a composition.
- "Access" is a musical single of Tim Hoogesteger & DJ Misjah.
- released on (18 years ago)
- "Access" is a musical single of SPY.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Access" is a musical EP of DJ Misjah & DJ Tim.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Access" is a musical EP of Your Dying Truth.
- released in (7 years ago)
- Access is a catalytic process that enables interactions, contact and exchanges among people, businesses and nations. An analytical framework to define the drivers and benefits of Access and to quantify the impact of Access on economic growth and personal well-being was created in 2006 by the Center for Science, Technology, and Economic Development at SRI International in its study, “The Power of Access”. As outlined in the study, the Access framework consists of the Access Model, which expresses the function of Access as an econometric equation; the “Access Cycle”; and the "Access Index," which ranks 75 nations based on their performance in 22 metrics, including transportation infrastructure; telecommunications networks; trade policy; and news, media and information services.
- ACCESS is the youth network of the Australian Institute of International Affairs, a non-government institution dealing with all aspects of Australia's foreign relations and international affairs.
- Access was a Canadian Community television series which aired on CBC Television from 1974 to 1982, except 1981.
- begun on and completed on (32 years ago)
- country: Canada
- Access is a 2013 Telly Award winning ad, created for Becks Hybrids.
Phrases with Access
Phrases starting with the word Access:
- access code
- access road
- access time
- Access Point
- Access token
- Access control
- Access modifier
- Access Specifier
- Access control list
Phrases ending with the word Access:
- disk access
- room access
- memory access
- Public access
- Random access
- Remote Access
- Read-Only Access
Other phrases containing the word Access:
View more phrases with the word Access in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Access
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Interactive Group Therapy (2013)
Integrating, Interpersonal, Action-Orientated and Psychodynamic Approaches by Jay Earley
Access refers to uncovering material buried in the psyche, including feelings, beliefs, impulses, values, and memories. The leader...
Ideally, access is a unitary phenomenon, involving both affect and insight into an issue and its origins. Access ...
ELECTRICAL POWER SYSTEMS (2012)
ANALYSIS, SECURITY AND DEREGULATION by P. VENKATESH, B. V. MANIKANDAN, S. CHARLES RAJA, A. SRINIVASAN
Today transmission open access is the key to a free and fair electricity market.
Internal Audit Knowledge Elements by S. Rao Vallabhaneni
Local access is any access to an organizational information system by a user (or process acting on behalf of a user)...
by Olgu, Özlem
The most significant reason behind this anticipation is the notion that financial access is a prerequisite to financial size.
by Gary B. Shelly, Jennifer Campbell
Dial-up access is the slowest connection option, with a maximum speed of 56.6 Kbps. Dial-up access works just like a...
A high—speed alternative to dial—up access is a digital subscriber line (DSL).
by Paul Buggs
Microsoft Access is a Database management system that combines the relational Microsoft Jet Database Engine with a graphical user interface and software- development tools. Access is a member ofthe Microsoft Office Suite of applications, ...
Mastering Windows Made Easy (2007)
Vista & XP Editions by TeachUcomp
Access is a multi-featured database program in which you can create powerful databases that can store related data for...
Access is an excellent program, as the skills you learn can save valuable time and money by automating, organizing ...
Social Justice in Group Work (2013)
Practical Interventions for Change by Anneliese A. Singh, Carmen F. Salazar
ACCESS is a five-session group, career counseling program.
by Andy Harris
MS Access is the entry-level database system installed with most versions of Microsoft Office. While Access is a good tool for playing with data design, it has some well-documented problems handling the large number of requests typical of a ...
by Yanwen Wu
Random access is the necessary process in the establishment wireless link between the UE and the network, the performance of the...
by Clement Allan Tisdell
While it may be optimal to reduce the resource or stock of water in an underground supply or in a common pool, this will not occur at an optimal rate if free access is the case. Both in developed and less developed countries policy- makers have ...
Network Strategy (2008)
by Joel Baum, Tim Rowley
Direct access refers to structural holes in the immediate network of a manager's colleagues, or an industry's suppliers and customers. Indirect access refers to structural holes between friends of friends, in the networks around colleagues, ...
The HTML & ASP Handbook (2005)
by Gary Richardson
Microsoft Access is the baby of all databases used in web design.
Now because Access is a Microsoft application and is designed only to run on Windows, Access driven sites must be done on a Windows based server which generally mean ...
Network Dictionary (2007)
by Javvin Www Networkdictionary Com, Jielin Dong
Telecom Broadband Internet Access is a high data-transmission rate Internet connection.
Equitable water access refers to a fair and just water access among the population. Equitable water access is a prerequisite ...
Volume 1 - Access Charges in the U.S.A. to Basics of Digital Communications by Fritz E. Froehlich, Allen Kent
Volume 1 - Access Charges in the U.S.A. to Basics of Digital Communications Fritz E. Froehlich, Allen Kent...
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY: Established computer networks and online guidelines for health care facility or medical data control and user protocol; access authorization. ACCESS: To allow computer, server, or network use, manipulation, ...
HIMSS Dictionary of Health Information Technology Terms, Acronyms, and Organizations, Fourth Edition (2017)
Access: The ability and means to communicate with or otherwise interact with a system, to use system resources to handle information, to gain knowledge of the information the system contains, or to control system ...
by Xerxes Mazda, Fraidoon Mazda
DAA: Data Access Arrangement. DAC: Digital to Analogue Converter. DAB: Digital Audio Broadcasting. DACS: Digital Access and Cross-connect System. daisy chain: Connecting devices together on a network such that signals pass from one ...
From the Earliest Statutes to the Present Day by John P. Wilson
ACCESS FUNDS Further education institutions administered access ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Access
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Access
Click on an item to view that photo:
Palo Alto, CA
Photo credit: John Loo
Photo credit: BeSublime
Getting access to New College, University of New South Wales, Sydney.
Photo credit: Ted & Dani
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: Kevan
Years of overpainting
Photo credit: wonderferret
Photo credit: Sarah M Stewart
- Worcester MA access cover
Photo credit: billsoPHOTO
Photo credit: roblawton
- Through access
Photo credit: Greg_Men
- Restricted Access
Photo credit: Jonathan Gross
- SL Access
Photo credit: chronixsthlm
View more pictures about Access Point.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Access
Click on an item to play that video:
- Definition Access Set
Definition Access Set in Oracle R12.
- Access and Database Terminology
Get familiar with some basic database terminology prior to starting work in Microsoft Access.
- Caromble! Early Access Team Explanation Video
This is Caromble! A fresh new take on the brick break game! Now on Steam Early Access! In this video the team explains why Caromble! is on Steam Early ...
- Access: Database concepts and terminology | lynda.com
This specific tutorial is a single movie from chapter one of the Access 2007 Essential Training course presented by lynda.com author David Rivers. Watch more ...
- Medical Terminology Access - Step 1
1st in a series of 3 in regards to accessing and completing the HEA Medical Terminology course at UNCG.
- Access Meaning
Video shows what access means. A way or means of approaching or entering; an entrance; a passage.. The act of approaching or entering; an advance.
- Laws must give 'access to justice' its true meaning
Senator Wright speaks to the Federal Courts Legislation Amendment Bill 2014.
- Essential Vocabulary: Access
"Access" is one of a series of words that should be used, when necessary, in the IELTS Writing and Speaking Exams. The correct use of vocabulary items in this ...
- The Changing Meaning of `Unauthorized Access`
Julie E. Cohen, Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center (Feb 23, 2009 at Case Western Reserve University, School of Law) In recent years, the law ...
- Access terminology
- Better QA and Access to EU Terminology in OmegaT (OmegaT 3.1.2 Review)
Learn how to be more efficient by taking advantage of the latest features in the translation memory program OmegaT. Read the accaompanying blog post: ...
- Joomla How To: Front End Access. Setup and explanation.
- An Explanation Of The MS Access Combobox
- One Minute Explanation of how to access RadSim from ThinkSpace
One Minute Explanation of how to access RadSim from ThinkSpace.
- Access Language Centre - Sydney Australia
- Language Access Public Service Announcement
Language interpretation services improve patient outcomes and save lives.
- Resource Description & Access (RDA) Basics for Copy Catalogers
Covers the most common differences between AACR2 and RDA in bibliographic records and authority records. Designed to help copy catalogers and beginners ...
- Access Language Centre
Access Language Centre was established in 1997 and is located in central Sydney, one of the most beautiful cities in the world. With a population of over 4 ...
- Access dictionary from anywhere on your Android using Tasker
Want an easy access to dictionary from within any app on your Android? Using Tasker and Power Toggles you can configure this in 3 simple steps.
- Attainment's Access Language Arts iPad app
Access Language Arts app is based on the curriculum "Teaching to Standards: English Language Arts", which was created by Attainment and East Tennessee ...
- RSB's ACCESS Language Center's illegal parking lot at 276 Queen
Recent footage taken on Sept. 3, 2015, showing the effects of the commercial level parking lot behind Riverside School Board's ACCESS Language Center at ...
- Language Access Network NBC4LA News Story
Language Access Network NBC4LA News Feature.
- California's Language Access Plan
The need for language services in civil proceedings is growing with the increasing diversity in California.
- 10. Where to access language, literacy & numeracy (LLN) support (What Works)
Video 10 of 25: This is the first video in the second series of 'What Works for LLN'. What Works is a free range of language, literacy and numeracy training and ...
- Language Access 2.0
Just a short video to celebrate the Language Access Coalition recent victory to make a robust language access policy for the City of Long Beach.
- How a language can limit your access to a community: Dennis Hoogeveen at TEDxRoermond
camera & edit...
- ESL MCU: Access to Clean Water (Grade 7, English Language Proficiency Levels 1 &2
This video was created as part of the Massachusetts Race to the Top Model Curriculum Project and a collaborative project between the Massachusetts ...
- Fluency MC English ESL-EFL Teacher Trainer Access and English Specialist Programs
Interview and music video with Fluency MC (Jason R. Levine) to promote his work with the Access and English Specialist Programs through U.S. Embassies ...
- Language Access (Chuukese)
- How to Access iOS 7's Hidden Dictionary!
Did you know iOS 7 had a built in dictionary? Follow iUpdateOS: Facebook...
See also the pronunciation examples of Access!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Access Cash Solutions by Ken Davis in America Sign Language
Access Cash Solutions by Ken Davis in America Sign Language.
- Violent sign language interpreter's access to Obama triggers investigation
Violent sign language interpreter's access to Obama triggers investigation The vetting of a sign language interpreter who got within three feet of world leaders ...
- Equal Access Challenge: Sign language visualizer
- Access and inclusion. Auslan (Australian Sign Language)
The City of Stirling is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and accessible City and truly becoming the 'City of Choice'. The City has an Access and Inclusion ...
- EUD, access to EU instituciones for deaf sign language user
Quotes about Access
But eventually it's a question of access: Getting access to fields is on top of the oil companies' agenda. We see a substantial build-up of supply occurring over the coming years. (Daniel Yergin)
more quotes about access...
Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1S1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Access to see it in context!