The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun accession:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun accession
- Definition of the verb accession
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Accession
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Accession
- Photos about Accession
- Video language resources about Accession
- Quotes about Accession
- Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1S1S1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun accession
What does accession mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: accessions
- a process of increasing by addition (as to a collection or group)
- (civil law) the right to all of that which your property produces whether by growth or improvement
- something added to what you already have
- agreeing with or consenting to (often unwillingly)
- the right to enter
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of accession: access / admission / admittance / entree
- more generic word: right = an abstract idea of that which is due to a person or governmental body by law or tradition or nature
- more specific word: door = anything providing a means of access
- the act of attaining or gaining access to a new office or right or position (especially the throne)
Alternative definition of the noun accession
- A coming to; the act of acceding and becoming joined; as, a king's 'accession' to a confederacy.
- Increase by something added; that which is added; augmentation from without; as, an 'accession' of wealth or territory.
- [legal] A mode of acquiring property, by which the owner of a corporeal substance which receives an addition by growth, or by labor, has a right to the part or thing added, or the improvement (provided the thing is not changed into a different species). Thus, the owner of a cow becomes the owner of her calf.
- [legal] The act by which one power becomes party to engagements already in force between other powers - Kent
- The act of coming to or reaching a throne, an office, or dignity; as, the 'accession' of the house of Stuart; -- applied especially to the epoch of a new dynasty.
- [medicine] The invasion, approach, or commencement of a disease; a fit or paroxysm.
Definition of the verb accession
What does accession mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: accessioned | accessioning | accessions
- make a record of additions to a collection, such as a library
"Accession" is a 2012 drama film written and directed by Michael J. Rix.
- country: South Africa
- language: Zulu Language
- producers: Anita Callander & Michael J. Rix
- written by Michael J. Rix
- cinematography by Michael J. Rix
- edited by Michael J. Rix
- genre: Drama
- released on
"Accession" is a book by John Hartley.
- also known as "Accession: the making of a queen"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Accession
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Günther Doeker
Normally and historically, accession is a secondary process: the act whereby a State accepts the offer of becoming a party to a treaty already signed by some other States. In recent years it has also become a primary process: the act whereby a ...
National and International Perspectives by Robert Ash, Heike Holbig
There may be differences in interpretations and preferences among Chinese leaders relating to specific issues, but there is little reason to believe that WTO accession is a separate issue that is used by a faction to reinforce reforms in the face ...
by David Shephard Garland, James Cockcroft, Lucius Polk McGehee, Charles Porterfield
Artificial or industrial accession is that produced by the labor and industry of man; as where, out of materials not all the property...
Mixed accession is the result of a combination of natural and artificial forces, as where one sows or plants in the ...
by Kermit L. Hall
An accession is the physical attachment of an object as a component of another, more complicated...
Domestic Politics, Economic Integration and International Dynamics by Ali Carkoglu, Barry Rubin
Officially, the major obstacle to Turkey's accession is the need to meet the Copenhagen criteria adopted in 1993 ...
The European Union (2012)
How Does it Work? by Elizabeth Bomberg, John Peterson, Richard Corbett
Accession is the process whereby a country joins the EU and becomes a member state. Candidate refers to a country whose application for membership is confirmed by the EU but which is not yet a member. Conditionality refers to the fact that ...
The Dragon Goes Global by Hui Feng
China's WTO accession is a comprehensive package that will no doubt affect a wide range of societal interests. But, as this study suggests, the policy making was largely confined within the government, especially the top party leadership and ...
Anglo-Saxon England (2001)
by Frank M. Stenton
The extent to which the system had been carried out at the time of Duke William's accession is a harder question. There is no reason to doubt that the older baronage of the duchy held itself bound to help its lord, the duke, to do the military ...
The Case of ASEAN by Emiko Fukase, Will Martin
Conclusions AFTA accession is an important initial step for Vietnam's further liberalization. Under it, Vietnam must commit to a tariff reduction schedule at the tariff line level and start to identify and eliminate quantitative restrictions.
by Miroslav Beblavý
Since eventual EMU accession is a fait accompli in the new member states, the epilogue does not concern itself with optimum currency theories or other ways of determining whether monetary integration is a suitable recipe for the four ...
An Island in Europe (2011)
The EU and the Transformation of Cyprus by James Ker-Lindsay, Fiona Mullen, Hubert Faustmann
Cyprus after EU accession is a profoundly different place ...
by Claire Annesley
Accession, in the context of European politics, means joining the European Union (EU). Since 1993 the accession process has had four elements. Negotiations, coordinated by the European Commission, are conducted between the applicant ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
and study, ere thou fill accession during the trial. Boyle's Spring of Air, — Oa accidental joys, th' essential. &c. are saltier wise, behind the * ACCOMMODATELY.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Accession
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Accession
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Accession
Click on an item to play that video:
- Accession Meaning
Video shows what accession means. A coming to; the act of acceding and becoming joined; as, a king's accession to a confederacy.. Increase by something ...
- The Explanation of how to Get Adsense account And the accession 100% guaranteed
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = EU Accession Treaty
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = EC Accession Treaty
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = accession to the European Union
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = accession criteria
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = pre accession aid
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = accession to an agreement
View more videos about Accession Country.
See also the pronunciation examples of Accession!
Quotes about Accession
Western Europe GDP per capita - not taking into account the new accession counties - was lower in 2001 relative to that of the US than any time since the 1960's. (John Hutton)
more quotes about accession...
Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1S1S1I1O1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Accession to see it in context!