The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun acclamation:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun acclamation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acclamation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acclamation
- Photos about Acclamation
- Video language resources about Acclamation
- Sign language
- Quotes about Acclamation
- Scrabble value of A1C3C3L1A1M3A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acclamation
What does acclamation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acclamations
- enthusiastic approval
- examples: The committee welcomed her with acclamation as chairperson. | The motion was carried by acclamation.
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of acclamation: acclaim / eclat / plaudit / plaudits
- more generic words: approval / commendation = a message expressing a favorable opinion
Alternative definition of the noun acclamation
- A shout of approbation, favor, or assent; eager expression of approval; loud applause.
- The process of electing a person to a post in the absence of other nominees.
- (antiques): A representation, in sculpture or on medals, of people expressing joy.
- [Canada] Without opposition in an election.
"Acclamation" is a musical album of University of the Philippines Madrigal Singers.
- released in (9 years ago)
- Acclamation: An acclamation, in its most common sense, is a form of election that does not use a ballot. "Acclamation" or "acclamatio" can also signify a kind of ritual greeting and expression of approval in certain social contexts in ancient Rome.
- Acclamation was formerly one of the methods of papal election.
- also known as 一致欢呼
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acclamation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Virgilio T.J. Suerte Felipe
Thus, the Memorial Acclamation is the proclamation of our faith in the Paschal Mystery of Christ in which we and the whole creation participate. In 89 And With Your Spirit.
Q RESPONSORIAL PSALM 19: Today's acclamation is an apt summary of the whole apostolic missionary endeavor, even though the verse it— self comes from a psalm in the Old Testament and refers originally to creation as bearing witness ...
The Ministry of Music (2004)
Singing the Paschal Mystery by Kathleen A. Harmon
An acclamation is a short, sung statement of faith and of assent. During the Eucharistic Prayer at Mass, for example, we sing, "Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again!" Just reading these words probably brings to your mind the ...
Worship Old and New (2009)
by Robert E. Webber
Acclamation is a fourth kind ...
Psalms 90-150 by John Goldingay
The acclamation is the kind that recurs in the Psalms; that in the second colon ...
With Appendixes, Precedents and Shareholders Questions by Grenville W. Phillips
Acclamation is a midway method of voting between acquiescence and a show of hands. This method is sometimes referred to as a voice vote. It is an imperfect method of voting and should only be used where the chairman senses that the ...
The Almanac for Pastoral Liturgy by Liturgy Training Publications
◾ resPonsorial Psalm 19: Today's acclamation is an apt summary of the whole ...
by Peter M. J. Stravinskas, Russell B. Shaw
thanksgiving, acclamation [Sanctus], epiclesis, narrative of the institution and consecration, anamnesis, offering, intercessions, final doxology. The thanksgiving is most fully expressed in the preface where "in the name of the entire people ...
Conflict in Ancient Greece and Rome: The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia [3 volumes] (2016)
The Definitive Political, Social, and Military Encyclopedia by Douglas Kelly Ph.D., Peter Londey Ph.D.
Acclamation was the collective expression of statements or sentiments en masse by a group to a superior individual, such as a magistrate, commander, or emperor . It may be described as organized cheering, which today is practiced only by ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
• ACCLAMATION. »./ \acelamatio, Latin.] fihouts of applause ; such as those with which a victorious army salutes the genera!.— It hath been the custom of Christian men, in token of the greater reverence, to stand, to utter certain words of ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
ace acclamation, acclimation It can certainly be argued that these two words are not homonyms: there is too great a distinction between the 'clam' sound of acclamation and the 'dim' sound of acclimation for them to be accounted as true ...
by David Edward Aune
A typical ceremonial acclamation, addressed to a deity, is found in Acts 19:28, 34: “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!“ here uttered as an anti-Christian protest. A spontaneous acclamation of approval is found in Acts 12:22, where the crowd ...
At marriages it was usual for the spectators to shout Io Hymen, Hymenaee, or Talassio; a victorious army or general was greeted with Io triumphe, in the theatre acclamation was called for at the close of the play by the last actor, who said, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acclamation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acclamation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acclamation
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Acclamation!
HNU Sign Language for Holy Mass- Memorial Acclamation
Quotes about Acclamation
I want to write such things as compel the admiring acclamation of the world at large, such things as are written but once in years, things subtle but distinctly different from the books written every day. (Mary MacLane)
more quotes about acclamation...
Scrabble value of A1C3C3L1A1M3A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acclamation to see it in context!