On this page:
- Definition of the verb accomplish
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for accomplish
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for accomplish
- Usage statistics about accomplish
- Photos about accomplish
- Video language resources about accomplish
- Quotes about accomplish
- Scrabble value of A1C3C3O1M3P3L1I1S1H4
- Share this page
Accomplish is sometimes a misspelling of accomplished.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb accomplish
What does accomplish mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: accomplished | accomplishing | accomplishes
- put in effect
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Wilma completed the assignment [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with -ing] She quit smoking
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of accomplish: action / carry out / carry through / execute / fulfil / fulfill
- more generic terms: complete / finish = come or bring to a finish or an end; effect / effectuate / set up = produce
- more specific terms:
- to gain with effort
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of accomplish: achieve / attain / reach
- more generic terms: bring home the bacon / come through / deliver the goods / succeed / win = attain success or reach a desired goal
- more specific terms:
- score = get a certain number or letter indicating quality or performance
- progress to / get to / reach / make = reach a goal
- begin = achieve or accomplish in the least degree, usually used in the negative
- come to / strike = attain
- culminate = reach the highest or most decisive point
- compass = bring about
- average = achieve or reach on average
- finagle / manage / wangle = achieve something by means of trickery or devious methods
Alternative definition of the verb accomplish
- To finish successfully.
- To complete, as time or distance.
- To bring to an issue of full success; to effect; to perform; to execute fully; to fulfill; as, to 'accomplish' a design, an object, a promise.
- To equip or furnish thoroughly; hence, to complete in acquirements; to render accomplished; to polish.
- [obsolete] To gain; to obtain. - Shakespeare
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for accomplish
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
How to Design Stained Glass (2012)
by Jennie French
Any exercise you find difficult to accomplish is an area of weakness. By doing such stylized doodles over and over again, you perfect the craft of drawing. o o ==- 42. Student drawings from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (1979) by Betty ...
Geographical Patternings of Relations by Gary Backhaus, John Murungi
What is required for what we have set out to accomplish is a corporeal thinking, a body-thinking. This body-thinking is ...
EReader Version by A4m American Academy
Perhaps the most important thing that the platelet growth factors accomplish is the establishment of a blood supply. Without a blood supply the stem ...
Brand Against the Machine (2011)
How to Build Your Brand, Cut Through the Marketing Noise, and Stand Out from the Competition by John Michael Morgan
Anything else you are attempting to accomplish is a waste of time, energy, and effort. Your website should start a conversation. That conversation could be with you, or it could be with a friend they are sharing the site with. Most of the time that ...
5 and 10 Cent Girl (2011)
by John J. Riley
It is just as easy to put your money in a mortgage as to go on paying rent forever —all you will ever accomplish is a box of rent receipts in the time it will take you to own a house. The area you live in now is a good investment. Prices are going ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
The joint force maritime component commander is given the authority necessary to accomplish missions and tasks assigned by the establishing commander. Also called JFMCC. See also joint force commander. (JP 3-0) joint force ...
by Robert S. Igoe
use of a quantity that does not exceed the amount reasonably required to accomplish its intended function; (b) the reduced use to the extent reasonably possible of the quantity of a substance that ...
MINIMUM NECESSARY: The amount of protected health information shared among internal or external parties determined to be the smallest amount needed to accomplish its purpose for use or disclosure; the amount of health information or ...
by Joseph Bosworth
od To perfect, accomplish fulfil practise. — -fremman To eacecute,accomplish, perfect.—freólíc Very free, liberal.—fyllan To fulJil, accomplish.
intent to commit a rape, inasmuch as an attempt to do a thing necessarily involves an intent to accomplish what is attempted; but in the same State it has been held that an allegation in an indictment that an assault was made with an attempt to ...
A New Universal Etymological, Technological, and Pronouncing Dictionary of the English Language, Embracing All the Terms Used in Science, Literature and Art (1858)
by John CRAIG (F.G.S.)
Accomplish, ak-kom'plish, v. a. (accomplir, Fr. from compleo, Lat.) ...
And Dictionary of Electricity, Electrical Terms and Apparatus by William L. Allison
ACCOMPLISH. «. drawing front 1 a separating cf ideas; absence of ltuntf; a purloining. Abstractly, (ab'strakt-Ii) ad. separately ; by itself. Abstruse, (ab-fctroos) a. difficult to be understood. Abstrusely, (ab-strocs'll) ad. not plainly ; obscurely, darkly ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for accomplish
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about accomplish
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb accomplish:
Photos about accomplish
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: libookperson
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about accomplish
Click on an item to play that video:
- Accomplish Meaning
Video shows what accomplish means. To finish successfully.. To complete, as time or distance.. To bring to an issue of full success; to effect; to perform; ...
- Execute Vs Perform Vs Accomplish Vs Fulfil - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Dictionary: Accomplish
MEaning of the word Accomplish.
- Workplace ESL Solutions teacher describes what graduates accomplish
Workplace ESL Solutions teacher, Laura Solis, describes the proud accomplishments of her most recent graduating class. Workplace ESL custom designs ...
- Getting Clarity on Language to Accomplish Your Team Mission
Find more Bible-based mentoring resources for families, small groups, and churches at pursueGOD.org. Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the ...
See also the pronunciation examples of accomplish!
Quotes about accomplish
Scrabble value of A1C3C3O1M3P3L1I1S1H4
The value of this 10-letter word is 21 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of accomplish to see it in context!