On this page:
- Definition of the noun acetabulum
- Phrases with Acetabulum
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acetabulum
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acetabulum
- Photo about Acetabulum
- Video language resources about Acetabulum
- Scrabble value of A1C3E1T1A1B3U1L1U1M3
- Share this page
Definition of the noun acetabulum
What does acetabulum mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acetabulums
- the cup-shaped hollow in the hipbone into which the head of the femur fits to form a ball-and-socket joint
Alternative definition of the noun acetabulum
- [context: Roman Antiquities] a vinegar cup;
- [context: Roman Antiquities] the socket of the hipbone;
- [context: Roman Antiquities] a measure of about one eighth of a pint
- [anatomy] The bony cup which receives the head of the thigh bone.
- [anatomy] The cavity in which the leg of an insect is inserted at its articulation with the body.
- [anatomy] A sucker of the sepia or cuttlefish and related animals.
- [anatomy] The large posterior sucker of the leeches.
- [anatomy] One of the lobes of the placenta in ruminating animals.
- Acetabulum: In Ancient Roman measurement, the acetabulum was a measure of volume equivalent to the Greek ὀξύβαφον. It was one-fourth of the hemina and therefore one-eighth of the sextarius. It contained the weight in water of fifteen Attic drachmae.
- Acetabulum in invertebrate zoology is a saucer-shaped organ of attachment in some annelid worms and flatworms. It is a specialised sucker for parasitic adaptation in trematodes by which the worms are able to attach on the host. In annelids, it is basically a locomotory organ for attaching to a substratum. The name also applies to the suction appendage on the arms of cephalopod molluscs such as squid, octopus, cuttlefish, Nautilus, etc.
- Acetabulum: In ancient dining, an acetabulum was a vinegar-cup, which, from the fondness of the Greeks and Romans for vinegar, was probably always placed on the table at meals to dip the food in before eating it. The vessel was wide and open above; and the name was also given to all cups resembling it in size and form, to whatever use they might be applied. The cups used by jugglers in their performances were also called by this name. They were commonly of earthenware, but sometimes of glass, silver, bronze, or gold. In anatomy, because of its shape, the acetabulum is the place of pelvis that meets with the head of the femur, forming the hip joint.
Phrases with Acetabulum
- Dosinia Acetabulum Thori
- Genus Acetabulum
- Allium acetabulum
- Aleuria Acetabulum
- Dosinia Acetabulum
- helvella acetabulum
- Sphaeria Acetabulum
- Laestadia Acetabulum
- Madrepora acetabulum
- Megyathus Acetabulum
- Sphaerulina Acetabulum
- Acetabularia acetabulum
- Lepanthopsis Acetabulum
- Meganodontia Acetabulum
- species Allium acetabulum
- Species Aleuria Acetabulum
- Species Dosinia Acetabulum
- Species Sphaeria Acetabulum
- species Madrepora acetabulum
- Dosinia Acetabulum Acetabulum
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acetabulum
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jaypee Brothers, Medical Publishers
The acetabulum is a cup-shaped, deep cavity formed by the union of three bones ; the front part is formed by the pubis,
Anatomy and Human Movement (2013)
Structure and Function by Nigel Palastanga, Derek Field, Roger W. Soames
The acetabulum is a hemispherical hollow on the outer surface of the innominate, facing downwards, forwards and laterally.
Clinical Pediatric Neurology (2009)
A Signs and Symptoms Approach: Expert Consult - Online and Print by Gerald M Fenichel
the acetabulum is a requirement of normal hip joint formation. Arthrogryposis varies in severity from isolated clubfoot, the most common manifestation, to symmetrical flexion deformities of all limb joints. Joint contractures are a nonspecific ...
by Robert Pedowitz, Christine B. Chung, Donald Resnick
The acetabulum is a spherical structure with an inferiorly oriented opening, the acetabular notch. The articular cartilage of the acetabular surface has an invertedhorseshoe configuration and resides at the outer margin of the joint. The central ...
Osteochondroses, Hip Dysplasia, Elbow Dysplasia by Joe P. Morgan, Alida Wind, Autumn P. Davidson
Acetabulum The normal acetabulum is a deep, cup-shaped depression in the pelvis with a prominent dorsocranial rim (margin) and forms from the union of 4 bones: (1) the ilium cranially, (2) the ischium caudally, (3) the small acetabular bone ...
A Manual for Students and Practitioners by Fred John Brockway, Andrew O'Malley
Just above the acetabulum is an elongated mark for the reflected head of the rectus femoris. The internal surface is divided into two parts: the anterior part is the iliac fossa or venter ilii. To the inner side of the anterior inferior spine is a shallow ...
by Marvin Tile, David Helfet, James Kellam
The acetabulum is the one location that presents a more complex management problem. Pathologic fractures owing to osteoporosis can occur in this area, and management is reflected by the extent of associated bone insufficiency. This factor ...
The acetabulum was used as a liquid measure by ancient Roman physicians, having a capacity of approximately 8 fluid ounces. It was larger than Greek kox Atag: “snail's shell,” whence cochle- (q.v.). Acetabulum resembles Latin cupa, ...
by Lyle J. Micheli, M.D.
and the acetabulum (socket). The femoral head connects to the femoral neck, which then attaches to the shaft of the femur. The hip joint is lined with cartilages, which ...
by John Wilkes (of Milland House, Sussex)
Its extent might be marked by a horizontal line drawn nearly through the middle of the acetabulum. From the upper thick part of the os ischium, a lliarp process, called by some authors spinous, stands out backwards, from which chiefly the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acetabulum
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Acetabulum
Photo credit: mjambon
Video language resources about Acetabulum
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Acetabulum!
Scrabble value of A1C3E1T1A1B3U1L1U1M3
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acetabulum to see it in context!