On this page:
- Definition of the noun achilles
- Phrases with Achilles
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Achilles
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achilles
- Photos about Achilles
- Video language resources about Achilles
- Quotes about Achilles
- Scrabble value of A1C3H4I1L1L1E1S1
- Anagrams of ACHILLES
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun achilles
What does achilles mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a mythical Greek hero of the Iliad; a foremost Greek warrior at the siege of Troy; when he was a baby his mother tried to make him immortal by bathing him in a magical river but the heel by which she held him remained vulnerable--his `Achilles' heel'
- examples: The first baseman is the Achilles heel of our team. | Achilles was an ancient Greek hero. | Apart from his heel, Achilles was invulnerable. | About four years ago my Achilles tendon started to hurt and I was told it was Achilles tendonitis. | Speaking in public is my Achilles heel; I'm simply too shy. | When Achilles would draw his sword to slay Agamemnon, Athena, invisible to all else, holds him back by a lock of hair. Here Homer shows us the gods as the psychology of ancient Greece.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- instance of: mythical being = an imaginary being of myth or fable
- "Achilles" is a 1995 short film written by Jo Cameron Brown and directed by Barry Purves.
- also known as Beyond Dope Sheet Achilles, Boy's Life, Achille
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Glenn Holberton
- written by Barry Purves & Joe Cameron Brown
- based on a story by Homer
- cinematography by Paul Smith
- edited by Leo Casserly
- music by Nigel Hess
- genre: Animation
- released in (20 years ago)
- award: - BAFTA Award for Best Short Animated Film nomination for Barry Purves & Glenn Holberton
- "Achilles" a.k.a. "The Fury of Achilles": L'ira di Achille, internationally released as The Fury of Achilles, is a 1962 Italian historical drama set in the ninth year of the Trojan War, and is based primarily on Homer's Iliad. The film was directed by Marino Girolami and starred Gordon Mitchell as Achilles.
- read more about The Fury of Achilles
- Achilles: The fictional representation for Achilles, a Greek mythological figure.
- Achilles is a fictional character from the 1960 film The Loves of Hercules.
- Achilles is a fictional character from the 1987 film Terirem.
- Achilles is a fictional character from the 1944 film The Mummy's Curse.
- Achilles is a fictional character from the 1960 film Heller In Pink Tights.
- Achilles is the fictional representation of Achilles, the Greek hero.
- Achilles is a fictional character from the film Excuse Me for Living.
- Achilles is a fictional character from the 2013 film Sleepless Cities.
Phrases with Achilles
Phrases starting with the word Achilles:
Phrases ending with the word Achilles:
- Anolis Achilles
- Lensia achilles
- Morpho Achilles
- Crambus Achilles
- Damalis Achilles
- Hepatus Achilles
- Heronax Achilles
- Teuthis Achilles
- Clubiona achilles
- Pepleuca Achilles
- Phanaeus Achilles
- Ceraphron achilles
- Lenophila Achilles
- Photinula Achilles
- tendon of achilles
- Acanthurus achilles
View more phrases with the word Achilles in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Achilles
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Narration as Cognitive Processing and Cultural Practice
'Achilles is a lion' is a classical metaphor which, on closer inspection, is also a quantitative metaphor. 'Achilles is a cow' or...
A Cognitive Perspective by Antonio Barcelona
Achilles is a lion. According to Lakoff and Turner, the metaphor in this expression, which we may label people are ...
A Companion to Hermeneutics (2015)
by Niall Keane
If, however, we say “Achilles is a lion,” then clearly in terms of simple semantics, this is merely false. But there is a level at which this statement is true; Ricoeur calls it the poetic level of language. Metaphorical language used in this way projects ...
Theories of Metaphor Revised (2013)
by Stephan Kessler
This is different with “Achilles is a lion in battle” (example 7 on page 35). Explaining the reference ...
With Explanatory Notes. To which is Added a Copious Index to the Remarkable Passages and Words by William Shakespeare, Samuel Ayscough
Agamemnon is a fool; Achilles is a fool; Thersites is a fool; and, as aforesaid, Patroclus is a fool. Achil. Derive this; come. Ther. Agamemnon is a fool, to offer to command Achilles; Achilles is a fool to be commanded of A a fool; and Patroclus is ...
The Paradox of Authenticity (2015)
by Eric E. Hall
Take, for instance, the metaphor “Achilles is a lion.” The term lion, which evokes ideas of the African Sahara and its fiercest beast of prey (which itself also evokes that other metaphor 'the lion is the king of the beasts'), is predicated directly to ...
by Leo Strauss, Seth Benardete
Achilles is an entirely different case. Phaedrus has shown up to now the effect which eros has on the lover,
Thus, Achilles is the hero of the stern human, self-sufficing spirit, which does not deny or question destiny, but seeing nothing in it except a cold, iron law, meets force with force, and holds up against it an unbroken, unbending will. Human ...
A Lexicon to Achilles Tatius (1980)
by James N. O'Sullivan
A Lexicon to Achilles Tatius ...
by Equine Research
Treatment of a rupture of the gastrocnemius tendon is the same as treatment of a ruptured Achilles tendon. Casting the whole leg and placing the horse in slings is an attempt to take pressure off the affected limb to allow the severed muscle ...
by Thomas C. Hunt
Charles Achilles, Jane Boyd-Zaharias, and Christopher Tienken See also Age Grading; Assessment; Differentiated Instruction; Differentiated Staffing; School Size Further Readings Achilles, C. M. (1999). Let's put kids first finally: Getting class ...
by Peter Brukner, Karim Khan, John Kron
ACHILLES TENDINOSIS has been present for years. Light jogging can commence when the tendon is no longer tender when pressed firmly with the fingers. The intensity and volume (see Overload) can be increased as long as there is no ...
The Encyclopaedia of Sports Medicine: An IOC Medical Commission Publication, Tendinopathy in Athletes (2008)
by Savio L-Y. Woo, Per A. F. H. Renström, Steven P. Arnoczky
levels in chronic painful tendinosis (Achilles and patellar) tendons. Furthermore, gene ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achilles
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Achilles
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: nonoindy
This boy sure liked strutting his stufff!
Photo credit: Square Head
You look just as good from the back!
Photo credit: Square Head
Photo credit: Averain
Photo credit: Matt From London
Photo credit: Matt From London
- Achilles dying
Achilleiou, Gastouri, Corfu, Greece
Photo credit: corsi photo
- Achilles Last Stand
Please View On Black
Photo credit: August Brill
- Achilles from afar
Photo credit: Matt From London
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Achilles
Click on an item to play that video:
- Achilles Meaning
Video shows what Achilles means. semi-divine hero, son of Peleus and the nymph Thetis, prince and leader of the Myrmidons; great warrior of the Achaean ...
- Achilles tendonitis and Achilles tendinopathy, sports podiatry explanation
- Achilles tendon Meaning
Video shows what Achilles tendon means. The strong tendon formed of the united tendons of the large muscles in the calf of the leg, an inserted into the bone of ...
- Achilles Initiative: The Battle for Sector 1 - Explanation Video
If you want to know more about 3MDR? Please check out the following video's: -...
- Achilles' heels Meaning
Video shows what Achilles' heels means. Achilles' heels Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Achilles' heels. Powered by ...
- What Is The Definition Of Tendon, Achilles
- American Slang Idioms ACHILLES' HEEL
- The Ghost of Patroklos and the Language of Achilles
Joseph Russo, Audrey and John Dusseau Emeritus Professor of Humanities and Classics at Haveford College, delivers the first annual Adam and Anne Amory ...
- Achilles talking in baby language
- Achilles, forbidden language, rock Shoe ,Golden Knowledge
View more videos about Achilles Heel.
See also the pronunciation examples of Achilles!
Quotes about Achilles
Scrabble value of A1C3H4I1L1L1E1S1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACHILLES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Achilles!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Achilles to see it in context!