On this page:
- Definition of the adjective achromatic
- Phrases with achromatic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for achromatic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for achromatic
- Photos about achromatic
- Video about achromatic
- Quotes about achromatic
- Scrabble value of A1C3H4R1O1M3A1T1I1C3
- Anagrams of ACHROMATIC
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective achromatic
What does achromatic mean as an attribute of a noun?
- having no hue
- synonym of achromatic: neutral
- antonym of achromatic: chromatic
- similar: argent / silver / silverish / silvery; ash-gray / ash-grey / ashy; blackish; black-gray / black-grey / blackish-gray / blackish-grey; blue-white / bluish-white / cool-white; blue-gray / blue-grey / bluish-gray / bluish-grey; blue-black / bluish black; brown-black / brownish-black; brown-gray / brown-grey / brownish-gray / brownish-grey; canescent; chalky; charcoal / charcoal-gray / charcoal-grey; coal-black / jet / jet-black / pitchy / sooty; cottony-white; dull-white; ebon / ebony; gray / grayish / grey / greyish; gray-black / grayish-black / grey-black / greyish-black; gray-white / grayish-white / grey-white / greyish-white; greenish-gray / greenish-grey; green-white / greenish-white; hueless; ink-black / inky / inky-black; iron-gray / iron-grey; lily-white; milk-white; olive-gray / olive-grey; dark-gray / dark-grey / oxford-gray / oxford-grey; pearl gray / pearl grey; pearly / pearly-white; pinkish-white; purple-black / purplish-black; purple-white / purplish-white; red-gray / red-grey / reddish-gray / reddish-grey; sable; silver-gray / silver-grey / silvery-gray / silvery-grey; silver-white / silvery-white; slate-black; slate-gray / slate-grey / slatey / slaty / slaty-gray / slaty-grey / stone-gray / stone-grey; snow-white / snowy; soot-black / sooty-black; violet-black; white-flowered; off-white / whitish; yellow-gray / yellow-grey / yellowish-gray / yellowish-grey; yellow-white / yellowish-white
- attribute: chromaticity / hue = the quality of a color as determined by its dominant wavelength
- see also: colorless / colourless
Alternative definition of the adjective achromatic
- [optics] Free from color; transmitting light without color-related distortion.
- Containing components such as achromatic lenses and prisms, designed to prevent color-related distortion.
- [biology] Uncolored; not absorbing color from a fluid; -- said of tissue
- [music] Having only the diatonic notes of the scale; not modified by accidentals.
- Being achromatic in subject
Phrases with achromatic
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for achromatic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ari Ben-Menahem
Independently invented the achromatic telescope, using an objective lens, composed of two kinds of glass so that the chromatic aberration in one kind of glass is compensated for by the other kind of glass. Hall, an amateur scientist from Essex, ...
by Robert Splinter
Achromatic lens 21 A...
Achromatic. lens. [optics] A composite lens with two or more layers, each respective material of uniform index of refraction that compensate each other (eliminating dispersion) for the inherent refractive chromatic ...
Concise Medical Dictionary (2015)
by Elizabeth Martin
achromatic. lenses. lenses that are specially designed to give clear images, eliminating the coloured fringes that are produced with ordinary lenses (caused by splitting of the light into different wavelengths and hence its component colours).
by Michel Millodot
achromat See lens, achromatic. achromatic 1. See lens, achromatic. 2. The condition of being totally colour blind.
by Martin H. Weik
achromatic 11 accommodation. A function of the human eye, whereby the eye's total refraction power (accomplished by a neuromuscular feedback system from the fovea of the retina to muscles that cause the lens to thin or thicken) is varied in ...
by Keith Jack, Vladimir Tsatsulin
achromatic Without color or varying brightness information. May also refer to being capable of transmitting light without breaking it up into its constituent colors.
by Mohsen Manutchehr-Danai
achromatic; (1) without color, such as many colorless gemstones. (2) Capable of reflecting or refracting light ...
A Dictionary of Science (1873)
Comprising Astronomy, Chemistry, Dynamics, Electricity, Heat, Hydrodynamics, Hydrostatics, Light, Magnetism, Mechanics, Meteorology, Pneumatics, Sound, and Statics; Preceded by an Essay on the History of the Physical Sciences by George Farrer Rodwell
ACHROMATIC. carbon and hydrogen at the high temperature of the electric spark. It is a colorless gas, slightly soluble in water, burning with a bright smoky flame. Its specific gravity is 0.02. When passed into ammoniacal solutions containing ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for achromatic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about achromatic
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jonhyblaze
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about achromatic
Video shows what achromatic means. Free from color; transmitting light without color-related distortion.. Containing components such as achromatic lenses and ...
View more videos about Achromatic lens.
See also the pronunciation examples of achromatic!
Quotes about achromatic
Scrabble value of A1C3H4R1O1M3A1T1I1C3
The value of this 10-letter word is 19 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACHROMATIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of achromatic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of achromatic to see it in context!