On this page:
- Definition of the adjective achromatic
- Phrases with achromatic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for achromatic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for achromatic
- Photos about achromatic
- Video about achromatic
- Scrabble value of A1C3H4R1O1M3A1T1I1C3
- Anagrams of ACHROMATIC
- Share this page
Definition of the adjective achromatic
What does achromatic mean as an attribute of a noun?
- having no hue
- synonym of achromatic: neutral
- antonym of achromatic: chromatic
- similar: argent / silver / silverish / silvery; ash-gray / ash-grey / ashy; blackish; black-gray / black-grey / blackish-gray / blackish-grey; blue-white / bluish-white / cool-white; blue-gray / blue-grey / bluish-gray / bluish-grey; blue-black / bluish black; brown-black / brownish-black; brown-gray / brown-grey / brownish-gray / brownish-grey; canescent; chalky; charcoal / charcoal-gray / charcoal-grey; coal-black / jet / jet-black / pitchy / sooty; cottony-white; dull-white; ebon / ebony; gray / grayish / grey / greyish; gray-black / grayish-black / grey-black / greyish-black; gray-white / grayish-white / grey-white / greyish-white; greenish-gray / greenish-grey; green-white / greenish-white; hueless; ink-black / inky / inky-black; iron-gray / iron-grey; lily-white; milk-white; olive-gray / olive-grey; dark-gray / dark-grey / oxford-gray / oxford-grey; pearl gray / pearl grey; pearly / pearly-white; pinkish-white; purple-black / purplish-black; purple-white / purplish-white; red-gray / red-grey / reddish-gray / reddish-grey; sable; silver-gray / silver-grey / silvery-gray / silvery-grey; silver-white / silvery-white; slate-black; slate-gray / slate-grey / slatey / slaty / slaty-gray / slaty-grey / stone-gray / stone-grey; snow-white / snowy; soot-black / sooty-black; violet-black; white-flowered; off-white / whitish; yellow-gray / yellow-grey / yellowish-gray / yellowish-grey; yellow-white / yellowish-white
- attribute: chromaticity / hue = the quality of a color as determined by its dominant wavelength
- see also: colorless / colourless
Alternative definition of the adjective achromatic
- [optics] Free from color; transmitting light without color-related distortion.
- Containing components such as achromatic lenses and prisms, designed to prevent color-related distortion.
- [biology] Uncolored; not absorbing color from a fluid; -- said of tissue
- [music] Having only the diatonic notes of the scale; not modified by accidentals.
- Being achromatic in subject
Phrases with achromatic
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for achromatic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Michael R. Peres
373 acetic acid, 37 acetylene, 37 achromatic, ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1896)
a dictionary of arts, sciences, and general literature by William Harrison De Puy, T. S. Baynes
But if we combine two thin lenses, placing them close together, we may arrive at an approximately achromatic arrangement. For we have, for the first lens JL 2 _! . to ...
A Dictionary of Science (1873)
Comprising Astronomy, Chemistry, Dynamics, Electricity, Heat, Hydrodynamics, Hydrostatics, Light, Magnetism, Mechanics, Meteorology, Pneumatics, Sound, and Statics; Preceded by an Essay on the History of the Physical Sciences by George Farrer Rodwell
ACHROMATIC. carbon and hydrogen at the high temperature of the electric spark. It is a colorless gas, slightly soluble in water, burning with a bright smoky flame. Its specific gravity is 0.02. When passed into ammoniacal solutions containing ...
A description of tools, instruments, machines, processes, and engineering; history of inventions; general technological vocabulary; and digest of mechanical appliances in science and the arts by Edward Henry Knight
direct sunlight and employing ordinary achromatic objectives with or without eye- pieces. Air. Rutherford, in experiments on stellar photography, had employed an achromatic objective having its crown ami Hint glass lenses so combined as to ...
by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby
ACHROMATIC, ak'ro-matlk. See Telescope. ACHRO'MATISM ( colorlessness, from Gk. a, a priv. + xPHua> chroma, color ) . The property by virtue of which certain combinations of lenses and prisms refract a beam of white light ...
Or, Dictionary of Arts and Sciences ; Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge by William Nicholson
achromatic uses 5 White glass, French Glass of S.Gobin - - Brimstone Phosphorus .
Navigation has also been much benefited by applying achromatic telescopes to the Hadley's Sextant ; and from the improved state of the lunar tables, and of that instrument, the longitude at sea may now be detemiined by good observers, to a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for achromatic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about achromatic
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jonhyblaze
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about achromatic
Video shows what achromatic means. Free from color; transmitting light without color-related distortion.. Containing components such as achromatic lenses and ...
View more videos about Achromatic lens.
See also the pronunciation examples of achromatic!
Scrabble value of A1C3H4R1O1M3A1T1I1C3
The value of this 10-letter word is 19 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACHROMATIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of achromatic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of achromatic to see it in context!