The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun acknowledgement:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun acknowledgement
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acknowledgement
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acknowledgement
- Photos about Acknowledgement
- Video language resources about Acknowledgement
- Quotes about Acknowledgement
- Scrabble value of A1C3K5N1O1W4L1E1D2G2E1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
Acknowledgement is a member of the word family acknowledge, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acknowledgement
What does acknowledgement mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acknowledgements
- the state or quality of being recognized or acknowledged
- example: she seems to avoid much in the way of recognition or acknowledgement of feminist work prior to her own
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of acknowledgement: acknowledgment / recognition
- more generic word: acceptance = the state of being acceptable and accepted
- a statement acknowledging something or someone
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of acknowledgement: acknowledgment
- more generic terms: content / message / subject matter / substance = what a communication that is about something is about
- more specific terms:
- credits = a list of acknowledgements of those who contributed to the creation of a film
- receipt = an acknowledgment (usually tangible) that payment has been made
- word of farewell / farewell = an acknowledgment or expression of goodwill at parting
- salutation / greeting = an acknowledgment or expression of good will
- aloha / ciao = an acknowledgment that can be used to say hello or goodbye
- handshaking / handclasp / handshake / shake = grasping and shaking a person's hand
- apology = an expression of regret at having caused trouble for someone
- mea culpa = an acknowledgment of your error or guilt
- commiseration / condolence = an expression of sympathy with another's grief
- declination / regrets = a polite refusal of an invitation
- admission = an acknowledgment of the truth of something
- thanks = an acknowledgment of appreciation
Alternative definition of the noun acknowledgement
- The act of acknowledging; admission; avowal; owning; confession.
- The act of owning or recognizing in a particular character or relationship; recognition as regards the existence, authority, truth, or genuineness.
- An award or other expression or token of appreciation.
- An expression of gratitude.
- A message from the addressee informing the originator that the originator's communication has been received and understood, as a wedding invitation's acknowledgement.
- [context: Telecommunications, computing, networking] A response sent by a receiver to indicate successful receipt of a transmission.
- [context: legal] The act of a man admitting a child as his own.
- [context: legal] A formal statement or document recognizing the fulfilment or execution of a legal requirement or procedure.
"Acknowledgement" is a film, directed by Ahn Hyeon-Cheol.
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- genres: East Asian cinema, World cinema, Drama
- released on (46 years ago)
- "Acknowledgement" is a musical EP of Soul Khan.
- released on
- "Acknowledgement" is a musical single of Dew Under.
- "Acknowledgement" is a composition.
- music by John Coltrane
Acknowledgement: In data networking, an acknowledgement is a signal passed between communicating processes or computers to signify acknowledgement, or receipt of response, as part of a communications protocol. For instance, ACK packets are used in the Transmission Control Protocol to acknowledge the receipt of SYN packets when establishing a connection, data packets while a connection is being used, and FIN packets when terminating a connection.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acknowledgement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Command messages require a change of state or action to occur in due course; acknowledgement is a necessary requirement before the issuing process continues. Status messages are sent to notify other processes of information about the ...
Infact, acknowledgement means a definite admission of liability; it is not necessary, that there should be a promise to pay. Only simple admission to the debt is sufficient. The provisions of section 18(2) are not limited to debts only; it may be in ...
Integral Green Zimbabwe (2014)
An African Phoenix Rising by Professor Ronnie Lessem, Dr Alexander Schieffer, Ms Liz Mamukwa
It acknowledges the existence of the activity and inherent in that acknowledgement is a critical response. Essentially, the Ehe principle is discovery and renewal. The fourth and final 'Nommo Principle' (Effect) involves the manifestation of ...
When Can You Start? (2005)
The 5 New Rules of Job-finding Success by David Schmier
Professional acknowledgement is the strongest way to build a relationship with a Hiring Manager. Practice it until it becomes something you do naturally and automatically with every Hiring Manager or networking contact you meet. WRAP UP ...
The Future of Energy Use (2010)
by Geoff O'Brien, Nicola Pearsall, Phil O'Keefe
As we continue our work, and our necessary lobbying, the final acknowledgement is the largest of all. Phil O'Keefe, Nicola Pearsall and GeoffO' Brien Northumbria University, April 2009 Foreword Energy futures The energy future ofthe global ...
Elijah's Vision (2010)
by Nana Mumford
The acknowledgement is that the Internet child pornogra- pher is as sexually depraved as any sex abuser. However, the cycle of abuse is somehow different, though they are equally behaviorally and cognitively distorted. In view of this, the ...
The Greatest Miracle (2011)
Unveiling God's Greatest Gift to You by Donald Ogolo
Acknowledgement is an inward realization or conviction you have that you are a sinner and in need of the salvation of Jesus. Confession is an outward declaration to God ofyour state as a sinner. This includes not hiding any wrongs before ...
Beauty Alternatives You Need to Know by Louisa Graves
Acknowledgement is the key. Now instead of rushing home after work, once or ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
y acknowledge frankly avow acknowledge greeting bow, nod, wave acknowledgement ...
To which Has Been Added Statutory Definitions by Frederick Stroud
An Acknowledgement of Arrears of Rent or Interest so charged or payable, " by the person by whom the same was payable," has to be made, not so much by the person compellable to pay but, by the person whose property or right to property ...
by Kevin Kirkland
A powerful, simple way of reaching clients, including thosein institutional settings, acknowledgement involves saying aclient'sname, making eye contact andoffering a short greetingat eachand every encounterinandout of sessions.
by Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi
It is also the task of the receiver side transport layer entity to generate acknowledgement packets. SimCast adopts various acknowledgement methods depending on the simulated transportprotocol. Receiver also handles negative or positive ...
by Bruce R. Hopkins
CONTEMPORANEOUS WRITTEN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT 89 Likewise, these constructive ownership rules apply for purposes of the rules concerning certain 20 percent owners of the profits interest of a partnership (IRC § 4946(a)(1)(C)(ii)) or ...
by Ray Horak
A supervisory frame carries control information such as informationframe acknowledgement, request for retransmission, and flow control.An unnumbered frame carries control data such as disconnection request, acknowledgement, and frame ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acknowledgement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acknowledgement
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acknowledgement
Click on an item to play that video:
- Acknowledgement Meaning
Video shows what acknowledgement means. The act of acknowledging; admission; avowal; owning; confession.. The act of owning or recognizing in a particular ...
- Agency Disclosure Acknowledgement Explanation
- Acknowledgement vs Praise - Language of Listening by Sandy Blackard
Sample segment from SAY WHAT YOU SEE Workshop DVD. Available online at...
See also the pronunciation examples of Acknowledgement!
Quotes about Acknowledgement
Scrabble value of A1C3K5N1O1W4L1E1D2G2E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 15-letter word is 28 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acknowledgement to see it in context!