Acronym appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Er, go on, trap Steven in, I say. Me oh my. Nor can an "air" bee sew. We see, Brian. An acronym? Hoe my asinine vet's part? No, ogre.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun acronym
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acronym
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acronym
- Photos about Acronym
- Video language resources about Acronym
- Quotes about Acronym
- Scrabble value of A1C3R1O1N1Y4M3
- Anagrams of ACRONYM
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acronym
What does acronym mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acronyms
- a word formed from the initial letters of the several words in the name and pronounced as one word
- example: the word `scuba' is an acronym for s(elf)-c(ontained) u(nderwater) b(reathing) a(pparatus)
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of acronym: initialism
- more generic terms: descriptor / form / signifier / word form = the phonological or orthographic sound or appearance of a word that can be used to describe or identify something
Alternative definition of the noun acronym
- An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
- A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
- Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, IBM, or XML.
- Acronym is a musical artist, record producer.
- read more about Acronym (composer)
- Acronym: The abbreviation of the party's name.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acronym
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
ACRONYM is a model-based image understanding system. It demonstrates mechanisms for interpretation of images with generic object ...
Essential Study Skills (2011)
by Linda Wong
An acronym is a word or phrase made by using the first letter of key words in a list of items to remember.
A classic acronym is the word HOMES for the five Great Lakes in the northern United States: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and ...
A Guide for Scientists and Other Professionals, Third Edition by Robert A. Day, Nancy Sakaduski
An acronym is an abbreviation of a special type that abounds in technical and scien- tific writing. An acronym is a word (such as NATO, radar, or laser) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of a series of words. Strictly speaking, pro- ...
Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Linguistic Approaches to Food and Wine Description (Actas Del Primer Congreso Internacional Sobre Aproximaciones Lingüísticas a la Descripción de la Comida Y Del Vino, Que Tuvo Lugar en Madrid en Mayo de 2009) (2013)
by Margarita GODED RAMBAUD, Alfredo POVES LUELMO
Its acronym refers to the combination of the idea of lexis and the idea of wine, because the description of the lexicon is one of its main aims, particularly the study of restricted lexicons, such as the wine tasting notes. The reason for the selection ...
by Kenneth Lange
One of the virtues of this acronym is that it does double duty. In minimization problems, the first M of MM stands for majorize and the second M for minimize. In maximization problems, the first M ...
by Thomas Donahue
An acronym is a series of first letters that is pronounceable as a word (ASCAP, MIDI). An initialism is a series of first letters that is read as letters (BWV, GFA). A contraction is a shortened form of a word that eliminates one or more interior letters, ...
What to Say and how to Say it by Nan Boss
The acronym refers to the fact that you are obtaining subjective information, and then going on to fill in the objective information, which is the data you collect from the examination and any test procedures that are done. Then comes the ...
by Shirley H. Fondiller, EdD, RN, FAAN, Barbara J. Nerone, APR
An acronym is a word formed from the initial or key letter or letters of each of a series of words. RUGS (research utilization groups) and ...
Statistical Rules of Thumb (2011)
by Gerald van Belle
The acronym is a good illustration of mandated science. The phrase sound science also crops up in this arena. Usually with the implication that some of the science is unsound, that is, irrelevant or nitpicking. These are exciting areas but also ...
The Name Book (2008)
Over 10,000 Names--Their Meanings, Origins, and Spiritual Significance by Dorothy Astoria
Acronyms An acronym is a word formed from letters of a set of words that stands for the group of words as a whole (usually the first letter or letters). Some common examples are SCUBA (Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus), ...
Creative Writing (2008)
— Shel Silverstein Acronyms: An acronym is a word ...
Data Simplification (2016)
Taming Information With Open Source Tools by Jules J. Berman
An acronym is a an abbreviation composed of letters extracted from the words composing a multi-word term. There are two major types of abbreviations: universal/permanent and local/ ephemeral. The universal/permanent abbreviations are ...
by Thomas Nordegren
CBD Acronym for cannabidiol, one of the ...
by David A. Bedworth, Albert E. Bedworth
AA An acronym for Alcoholics Anonymous q.v.; Addicts Anonymous q.v. AAA An acronym for 1. American Academy of Allergists. 2. American Association of Anatomists. 3. American Automobile Association. AAAS An ...
by Guenter Kahl
acronym for a technique should be unique, pronounceable with normal linguistic capabilities, memorably short and easily recognized, should not be fantastic, but best include the first letters of each word in the full name of the ...
by Ramesh Bangia
dbXML Acronym for database XML. A native XML database ...
by Sherwood Thompson
LGBT LGBT is an acronym that stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender, referencing an “imagined” community of non-heterosexual or noncisgender people (see Transgender) (Acosta, 2008; Woolwine, 2000). Such a community ...
by Khosrow-Pour, Mehdi
LDAP: Acronym for lightweight directory access protocol. A protocol used to send queries to user databases organized through directory services. Wireless networks use this protocol to communicate with servers housing user databases in a ...
by Allan Beaver
of the First Choice UK tour operator group, there is now generic usage of the ARC acronym. ARC3 Amtrak Reform Council. See Amtrak. ARC Ad visory Council See ARC1 . ARC number The eight-digit code allocated to ARC- appointed ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acronym
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acronym
Click on an item to view that photo:
Most Forced Acronym Ever
Photo credit: Postmemes.com
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acronym
Click on an item to play that video:
- The true meaning behind the acronym JADE HELM 15!!!
- Acronym Meaning
Video shows what acronym means. An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, that is itself pronounced as a word, ...
- The List of Chat Acronym Common - Chat Jargon 2
- How to use Vocabulary Editor to train an acronym
This video explains how to train Dragon dictate to recognize a acronym using Vocabulary Editor. After testing for the word in the vocabulary, create a spoken ...
- How the context of an acronym can change its meaning
- Acronym, slang by thanyarat
- Lrnteach/TEFL Dictionary: Acronym
View more videos about Recursive acronym.
See also the pronunciation examples of Acronym!
Quotes about Acronym
Never give up!
Let it flow and let it be sweet;
Positive and moral,
Let it be lovely and let it be attractive;
And strive for excellence in all that you do. (Edward Kofi Louis)
more quotes about acronym...
Scrabble value of A1C3R1O1N1Y4M3
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACRONYM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Acronym!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acronym to see it in context!