On this page:
- Definition of the noun acrylic
- Definition of the adjective acrylic
- Phrases with Acrylic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acrylic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acrylic
- Photos about Acrylic
- Video language resources about Acrylic
- Quotes about Acrylic
- Scrabble value of A1C3R1Y4L1I1C3
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acrylic
What does acrylic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acrylics
- polymerized from acrylonitrile
- a glassy thermoplastic; can be cast and molded or used in coatings and adhesives
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of acrylic: acrylate resin / acrylic resin
- more generic term: synthetic resin = a resin having a polymeric structure; especially a resin in the raw state
- more specific term: polymethyl methacrylate = a transparent plastic used as a substitute for glass
- used especially by artists
- a synthetic fabric
Alternative definition of the noun acrylic
- [organic chemistry] An acrylic resin.
- A paint containing an acrylic resin.
- a painting executed using such a paint.
- A thick sheet of plastic.
- A liquid coating system based on an acrylic resin
Definition of the adjective acrylic
What does acrylic mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- [organic chemistry] Derived from acrylic acid or acrylonitrile.
- Containing an acrylic resin.
- "Acrylic" is a musical single of The Courteeners.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Acrylic" is a musical album of The Courteeners.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Acrylic" is the 2nd single released by indie rock band The Courteeners, it is available on their debut studio album St. Jude as a bonus track. It was released on 22 October 2007 on a CD single and 7 inch vinyl reaching #44 in the UK Singles Chart. The song is a satire of Libertines soundalike bands swarming the music industry of the past few years, declaring them to have an "okay Jacket" (a pun on their clothing and the jacket of a book) but having "no spine" (a continuation of the theme of books and dismissing the bands as spineless and hollow). The single was relatively Libertines-esque in its delivery, but this was intentional irony that many members of the music press neglected to understand.
"Acrylic" is a book by Walter Foster.
Phrases with Acrylic
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acrylic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Industrial Espionage (2013)
Developing a Counterespionage Program by Daniel J. Benny
Acrylic is a plastic and offers little protection. It also breaks into large shards when broken.
by Lee Hammond
Acrylic is a very forgiving medium. Ifyou don't like what you have done, you can simply paint right over it. Relax and enjoy the process, and have a wonderful time with your new adventure. Acrylic is a wonderful medium. The more you use it, ...
Eat Your Greens (2014)
The Surprising Power of Homegrown Leaf Crops by David Kennedy
Acrylic is a rigid very clear plastic that is the second most durable common glazing material, usually lasting 20 years or more. It is available in single and double ...
The Complete Guide to Professional Results by Rosie Watson
Acrylic is the most popular bonding used...
by Lee Hammond
Acrylic is a very forgiving medium. If you don't like what you've done, you can simply paint right over it! Acrylic paintings are "built" much like three-dimensional objects. You start with a basic foundation of color, and then add layer after layer, ...
by Sharon Finmark
Like watercolour, acrylic is a waterbased paint, but it has unique qualities. The pigment is bound with a synthetic resin which dries very rapidly to form a waterproof 'skin', which allows you to overpaint without disturbing the colours beneath.
Principles and Techniques by Joen Iannucci, Laura Jansen Howerton
Of the nonmetallic restorations, porcelain is the most dense and least radiolucent, and acrylic is the least dense and most radiolucent. Amalgam Restorations Amalgam ...
by J.L. Güell
Foldable hydrophobic acrylic is the most popular material, which is also available in yellow (blue light absorbing) models and several IOL shapes. Al- though a very effective and safe material, water penetra- tion producing glistenings and ...
by Yan Li, D X-Q Dai
Acrylic is a manufactured fiber in which the fiber-forming substance is any long-chain synthetic polymer composed of at least 85% by weight of acrylonitrile units. The first example was made in Germany in 1893. Since then, many efforts ...
Sabrina Soto Home Design (2012)
A Layer-by-Layer Approach to Turning Your Ideas into the Home of Your Dreams by Sabrina Soto
Acrylic is the wool imitator of this group, with the same soft feel and fire and stain resistance (although it, too, has a tendency to pill). ○ Acetate is a low-cost alternative that looks convincingly like silk and maintains an attractive flowing shape ...
by David Kent Ballast, FAIA, CSI, NCIDQ Certification No. 9425
Acrylic and Modacrylic Acrylic is a synthetic fiber that has.
by Frank Träger
Acrylic is the most commonly used optical plastic. It is made by polymerizing the monomer methyl methacrylate. PMMA is moderately priced and easy to mold. It shows high transparency, low birefringence, a high Abbe number, outstanding ...
Back and Bed (2004)
Ergonomic Aspects of Sleeping by Bart Haex
Acrylic is a manufactured fiber in which the fiber-forming substance is any long-chain synthetic polymer composed of at least 85% of acrylonitrile units. DuPont first commercially manufactured acrylic fibers in 1950. Under the ...
Acrylic Innovation (2010)
Styles and Techniques Featuring 84 Visionary Artists by Nancy Reyner
• Acrylic is a glue. Any acrylic paint or product can function ...
Growing Food and Flowers in Your Greenhouse Or Sunspace by Shane Smith
Often, acrylic is a clear material. Although not as clear as glass, it can be clearer than polycarbonate. However, like most plastics it is easily scratched. It is moderately expensive as a single sheet. As you get into shopping for the multiple -layer, ...
Jewelry Making (2003)
Tips and Tricks of the Trade by Stephen O'Keeffe
Acrylic is a tactile material, inviting to the touch, and its optical properties are superior to glass. Acrylic can be sawn with a hacksaw or a coping saw. It can be drilled, filed, abraded, and highly polished, using similar techniques to those used on ...
by Toralf Scharf
Acrylic is the most commonly used optical plastic. Because its refractive index and dispersion values are similar to those of common crown glasses (particularly BK 7), acrylic is referred to as the crown of ...
Polymer Science Dictionary (1996)
by M. Alger
ACRYLIC ELASTOMER acidic mucopolysaccharide (acid mucopolysaccharide) A glycosoaminoglycan, usually found in animal connective tissues. It consists of alternating sequences of hexos- amine (D-galactosamine or D-glucosamine) and ...
by American Heritage Dictionary
acrylic (a-kril'ik) 1. An acrylic resin.
by Michael Szycher
(acrylic aldehyde, propenal, allyl aldehyde, acral- dehyde). A reactive liquid obtained from the oxidation of allyl alcohol or propylene, and frequently used as ...
by Jan W. Gooch
(propenal, acrylic, or allyl aldehyde) CH2=CHCHO .
by Nicholas P Cheremisinoff
ACRYLIC RESIN Table 2 continued Chemical Chemical Family Trade Names Name/Synonyms Bis(Dimethylthiocarba Organic sulfide TETD myl) disulfide 1,3- Diphenyl-2-thiourea | Rubber accelerator A-1 Thiocarbanilide Carbamide ...
by Michael Ash, Irene Ash
Acrylic textile fiber. Acrilev. [Finetex] Phosphate ester salts; detergent, wetting agent dye leveler for textiles. Acrisint [3-V; Sigma Prodotti Chimici] Carbomer. emulsifier, thickener, stabilizer, suspending agent for cosmetics. Acritamer.
by Graham A. Colditz
Acrylic fiber is also produced from a polymer ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acrylic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acrylic
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: JWSherman
- Acrylic test
Laser engraving acrylic. Left to right:
1) Extruded acylic, engraved through the protective paper.
2) Extruded acrylic, paper removed before engraving.
3) Cast acrylic, paper removed before engraving.
Engraving shows up on the extruded acrylic, but is much more pronounced on the cast acrylic.
Photo credit: yellowzeppelin
- Scrap Acrylic
Making something useful out of acrylic scraps.
Photo credit: oskay
- Vintage Acrylic
The 1970s are calling and they want their colors back.
Photo credit: Tempesttea
- Acrylic Abstract, Study Green
Photo credit: StudioG676
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acrylic
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Acrylic!
Quotes about Acrylic
Composition of light slowly squeezed
Acrylic dabbed and daubed
New image gradually emerging
Vision of raging tempest unfurling
Across taut woven white
Stormy sea pitching billowing sail (Diana Rosser)
more quotes about acrylic...
Scrabble value of A1C3R1Y4L1I1C3
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acrylic to see it in context!