The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb act upon:
On this page:
Definition of the verb act upon
What does act upon mean as a doing phrase?
- have and exert influence or effect
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of act upon: influence / work
- more generic terms: affect / bear on / bear upon / impact / touch / touch on = have an effect upon
- more specific terms:
- prepossess / prejudice = influence (somebody's) opinion in advance
- imprint / form = establish or impress firmly in the mind
- militate = have force or influence
- pull strings / manipulate / pull wires = influence or control shrewdly or deviously
- colour / color = modify or bias
- swing over / swing = influence decisively
- blackjack / blackmail / pressure = exert pressure on someone through threats
- persuade / carry / sway = win approval or support for
- get at = influence by corruption
- fix = influence an event or its outcome by illegal means
- dominate = be in control
Alternative definition of the verb act upon
- To act on the basis of information received or deduced.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for act upon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of Maryland (1999)
by Nancy Capace
Either House may consider other appropriations but both Houses shall not finally act upon such appropriations until after the Budget Bill has been finally acted upon by both Houses, and no such other appropriation shall be valid except in ...
Based Upon the Unabridged Dictionary of Noah Webster : with a Reference Library and Treasury of Facts by Noah Webster, Harry Thurston Peck
the act upon, of attaching; adherence; fidelity; attendance (at-ten'dans), n. the act affection or regard; that which at- of attending; waiting on; presence; laches, or the thing which is ...
by Christine Ammer
Also, act upon. Conduct oneself in accordance with or as a result of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for act upon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about act upon
Act upon Meaning
Video shows what act upon means. To act on the basis of information received or deduced.. Act upon Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
See also the pronunciation examples of act upon!
Quotes about act upon
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of act upon to see it in context!