On this page:
Definition of the noun actinozoan
What does actinozoan mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- sessile marine coelenterates including solitary and colonial polyps; the medusoid phase is entirely suppressed
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of actinozoan: anthozoan
- more generic words: cnidarian / coelenterate = radially symmetrical animals having saclike bodies with only one opening and tentacles with stinging structures
- more specific terms:
- member of: Actinozoa / Anthozoa / class Actinozoa / class Anthozoa = a large class of sedentary marine coelenterates that includes sea anemones and corals
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for actinozoan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Work of Universal Reference in All Departments of Knowledge with a New Atlas of the World
A coral or other zoöphyte or actinozoan: a term extended also to polyzoans or moss-animalcules, and to some of ...
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
actinozoan see anthozoan. actinula Invertebrate Zoology, ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
Actinozoan polyps, including the corals and sea anemones, are ...
A simple Actinozoon, as a seaanemone; a separate zooid of an Actinozoan colony (zool). polyparium (pöl'ïpâ'rît'im) n. [L. polypus, polyp] The common base and connecting tissue of a colony of polyps (zool). polypary,~a ...
Chambers's encyclopaedia (1896)
Over eighty fossil genera of the Paheozoic Rugosa are known, and of the other Actinozoan corals, about 1800 fossil, and as many living species. Of these, the vast majority are madrepores, and only a small number Alcyonarian. Both sets ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for actinozoan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1C3T1I1N1O1Z10O1A1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 21 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of actinozoan to find many related words and phrases!