The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective active and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective active
- Definition of the noun active
- Phrases with Active
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Active
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Active
- Photos about Active
- Video language resources about Active
- Sign language
- Quotes about Active
- Scrabble value of A1C3T1I1V4E1
- Anagrams of ACTIVE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective active
What does active mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more active / most active
- tending to become more severe or wider in scope
- engaged in or ready for military or naval operations
- disposed to take action or effectuate change
- taking part in an activity
- characterized by energetic activity
- examples: an active toddler | active as a gazelle | an active man is a man of action
- antonym: inactive
- similar: about / astir; acrobatic / athletic / gymnastic; agile / nimble / quick / spry; hot; hyperactive / overactive; on the go; sporty
- attribute: activeness / activity = the trait of being active
- see also: lively; energetic / energic
- exerting influence or producing a change or effect
- full of activity or engaged in continuous activity
- in operation
- (of the sun) characterized by an increased occurrence of sunspots and flares and radio emissions
- expressing that the subject of the sentence has the semantic function of actor:
- (used of verbs (e.g. `to run') and participial adjectives (e.g. `running' in `running water')) expressing action rather than a state of being
- (of e.g. volcanos) capable of erupting
- (of e.g. volcanos) erupting or liable to erupt
- engaged in full-time work
Alternative definition of the adjective active
- Having the power or quality of acting; causing change; communicating action or motion; acting; — opposed to passive, that receives; as, certain active principles; the powers of the mind.
- Quick in physical movement; of an agile and vigorous body; nimble; as, an active child or animal.
- In action; actually proceeding; working; in force; — opposed to quiescent, dormant, or extinct.
- [context: specifically, of a volcano] Being an active volcano.
- Given to action; constantly engaged in action; energetic; diligent; busy; — opposed to dull, sluggish, indolent, or inert; as, an active man of business; active mind; active zeal.
- Requiring or implying action or exertion; — opposed to sedentary or to tranquil; as, active employment or service; active scenes.
- Given to action rather than contemplation; practical; operative; — opposed to speculative or theoretical; as, an active rather than a speculative statesman.
- Brisk; lively; as, an active demand for corn.
- Implying or producing rapid action.
- antonym: bottom
- [grammar] Applied to a form of the verb; — opposed to passive. See active voice.
- [grammar] Applied to verbs which assert that the subject acts upon or affects something else; transitive.
- [grammar] Applied to all verbs that express action as distinct from mere existence or state.
- [gay sexual slang] [of a homosexual man] enjoying a role in anal sex in which he penetrates, rather than being penetrated by his partner
- [gay sexual slang] such a role in anal sex
Specialised definition of the adjective active
Glossary of sports
high level of (physical) involvement in one or more areas of sport. An example of being active is to participate in competitions (competitive sport) in contrast to passive behaviour. To be actively involved in recreational and competitive sport often requires an active membership in a sport club. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Definition of the noun active
What does active mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: actives
- chemical agent capable of activity
- the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb
- example: `The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- synonym of active: active voice
- more generic word: voice = the grammatical relation (active or passive) of the grammatical subject of a verb to the action that the verb denotes
- a person who is a participating member of an organization
Alternative definition of the noun active
- A person or thing that is acting or capable of acting.
Specialised definition of the noun active
Glossary of sports
lively and energetic (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
having an effect on a patient. (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
having a medicinal effect (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Active is a record label.
- "Active" is the 22nd album by the jazz fusion group Casiopea recorded and released in 1992. The album was recorded in Australia, Also where Casiopea's Live Album "Made in Melbourne" was recorded.
- genre: Jazz fusion
- released on (23 years ago)
- "Active" is a musical EP of Johan Bacto.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Active" is a composition.
- music by Jay Denham
- "Active" is a composition.
- music by EBE
- Active is a breed temperament.
- Active is a top level domain status, website status.
- ACTIVE - sobriety, friendship and peace is a non-governmental umbrella organisation gathering European youth temperance organisations. ACTIVE is member of the Youth Forum Jeunesse and cooperates with IOGT International.
- The Active was a ship that disappeared in the Tasman Sea in 1810.
- The Active was a wooden ketch that was wrecked on the Oyster bank at the entrance of Newcastle Harbour, New South Wales, near the previously wrecked Colonist on 19 January 1898 while carrying a cargo of ironbark to Morpeth, New South Wales under the command of Captain P. Williams. There were no casualties but the ship was lost. The wreck has not been located, but the approximate co-ordinates of the shipwreck are 32°55′S 151°47′E / 32.92°S 151.79°E.
- Active was a convict ship dispatched in 1791 from England to Australia. She was built in 1764 at Shoreham, England for Calvert & Co. She served in the East India Company from 1791 until 1793. Whilst still in service of the East India Company, under the command of Master John Michinson, she departed Portsmouth on 27 March 1791, with 175 male convicts as part of the third fleet and arrived on 26 September 1791 in Port Jackson, New South Wales. Twenty-one convicts died during the voyage.
- The Active was a ketch that was wrecked at the entrance of the Hunter River in New South Wales on 18 February 1852.
- Active: An Active is a person that has had their personality wiped so they can be imprinted with new personalities.
- also known as Doll
- Active is a ship.
- Active is a data task status.
Phrases with Active
Phrases starting with the word Active:
- Active duty
- active site
- active agent
- active birth
- Active fault
- Active Front
- Active Power
- active trust
- active voice
- Active Couple
- Active Galaxy
- Active matrix
- active citizen
- active placebo
- Active Volcano
- active immunity
- Active Dry Yeast
- Active listening
Phrases ending with the word Active:
View more phrases with the word Active in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Active
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Theresa Roberts
Being active also means watching less TV and playing fewer video games. Eating healthy is another part of staying fit. Aim to eat a variety of foods and get five servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Choose water and low-fat milk over soda ...
Be Better: First 100 Lessons (2014)
by Graeme Partington
Being active means allowing your body to "practice" breathing, stretching, and lifting. And the more practice of these things your body gets, the better your body will work. Think about practicing in these three areas: 1) Aerobic activity walking, ...
When Parents Part (2016)
How Mothers and Fathers Can Help Their Children Deal with Separation and Divorce by Penelope Leach
If your effort is to pay off, your ex also needs to be active and proactive over contact. Being active means taking a full part in planning ...
by Margaret R. O'Leary
active communications satellite. See communications satellite. active defense In military usage, employment of limited offensive action and counterattacks to deny a contested area or position to ...
Focus on Management Options by W. Wolfgang Fleischhacker, Ian P. Stolerman
Synonyms Conditioned avoidance response two-/one-way active avoidance Definition Active avoidance refers to experimental behavioral paradigms where sub‐jects (mainly rodents) are trained to, following the onset ofa conditioned stimulus ...
ACTIVE INTRUSION ACCOUNTABILITY: The health care information technology security objective that generates the requirement for actions of a medical entity to be traced uniquely to that entity; supports nonrepudiation, deterrence, fault ...
by Jill Bailey
active absorption see ABSORPTION. active chamaephyte see CHAMAEPHYTE. active layer in permafrost regions, the part of the surface layer of a soil that thaws out seasonally. This may range from a few ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Active
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Active
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Aphexlee
Photo credit: Jos Dielis
Photo credit: etherworks
- Active Corner
Busy street corner, aside from the road sweeper, the man sitting repairs anything from shoes to sharpening saws. Bacolod City, Philippines.
Photo credit: Beegee49
- Active like always
Photo credit: LivewithoutPS
- Sainsbury's Active Kids voucher
Photo credit: HowardLake
Salt Lake City, Utah.
Photo credit: debaird™
- Young & Active
Fast metabolism, unlimited energy, no responsibilities, not a care in the world. The catch with youth is, you don't know you have it good until it's gone.
Photo credit: DeveionPhotography
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Active
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary: Active and Passive
On This episode of The Effortless English Show, AJ talks about vocabulary and the difference between active and passive vocabulary. He gives suggestions ...
- Active vs Passive Vocabulary
- Definition of Active Insufficiency of Muscle
- GamingCentral Not Active Explanation
- EU Active Citizenship - a definition
The involvement of citizens in all aspects of society by making informed choices and decisions, having a say in how their countries are governed and taking ...
- Marketing and Maintaining Your Small Business : Active & Inactive Marketing Definition
There are two main forms of marketing - active and inactive. Learn about the definition of both active and inactive marketing with help from a business consultant ...
- Facebook's Lenient Definition Of An "Active User" Is Pivotal In Analysis Of Business Model
A New York Times article that sifted through the details of the company's prospectus, Facebook's (FB) definition of an active user appears to be very broad.
- Bryony Hoskins on the working definition for ACTIVE CITIZENSHIP
- CONCEPTS AND DEFINITION OF ACTIVE METHYLENE GROUP
CONCEPTS AND DEFINITION OF ACTIVE METHYLENE GROUP, study and achieve your academic goals by taking help from iProf India Learning videos.
- Active Farmer Definition
Minister Michael Noonan clarifies new tax rules concerning the definition following questioning by Denis Naughten.
- Rashi's Explanation of Active Verbs
Available on naaleh.com at...
- Big explanation/PLEASE BE ACTIVE!
- The true meaning of LIVE ACTIVE
- Providing active inspiration white magick - explanation
- Florent Meiyi, President of AIESEC International, on the meaning of Active Contribution Program
Florent Meiyi, PAI, talks about why ACP as a regional initiative is so important and powerful in the AIESEC network and for Africa.
- Active ingredient Meaning
Video shows what active ingredient means. The specific compound in a natural or man-made mixture that is responsible for the mixture's activity.. Active ...
- Active Recovery Explanation
Dan Bennett from Progressive Cycle Coaching Talks about Active Recovery.
- Active Language Learning: Dun Laoghaire, Ireland Tour
Active Language Learning: Dun Laoghaire Tour. Founded in 1989, Active Language Learning (ALL) offers high quality programmes in a friendly and welcoming ...
- English Sentences: Subject With an Active Verb and Object
- Active Language Learning
- To Stay Active [DESCRIPTION]
- Verb active learning - Greg Green
Greg Green talks about the power of the flipped classroom and how space can support this new pedagogy at an event featuring the Verb classroom collection.
- Active Language Learning in London
Funny scenes in the classroom.
- Leftover To Stay Active ( DESCRIPTION )
- Eider - Gore-Tex Active Shell membrane description
Technical description of the Gore-Tex Active Shell membrane used by Eider with high breathability and waterproofness capabilities.
- Ask Optimism - Using active language
There are 4 main elements you need focus on to get the best out of your quiz and the learner. Writing questions directly relating back to your objectives, creating ...
- Aging is an active verb
- Active verb
- Active Verbs #3: Verb Types
Active Verbs #3: Verb Types.
- Verb active learning - Trung Le
Trung Le speaks about the benefits of redesigning spaces for education at an event featuring the Verb classroom collection. Trung Le is a pioneer of Cannon ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Active!
ACTIVE SIGN LANGUAGE- Department of Inernational Trade, TKU
Dancing movie- May,2008.
Quotes about Active
Scrabble value of A1C3T1I1V4E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACTIVE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Active!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Active to see it in context!