On this page:
Definition of the noun active voice
What does active voice mean as a name of something?
- the voice used to indicate that the grammatical subject of the verb is performing the action or causing the happening denoted by the verb
- example: `The boy threw the ball' uses the active voice
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- synonym of active voice: active
- antonym of active voice: passive voice
- more generic word: voice = the grammatical relation (active or passive) of the grammatical subject of a verb to the action that the verb denotes
Alternative definition of the noun active voice
- [grammar] the form in which the subject of a verb carries out some action
Active voice is a grammatical voice common in many of the world's languages. It is the unmarked voice for clauses featuring a transitive verb in nominative–accusative languages, including English and most other Indo-European languages.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Active voice
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary and Grammar of the Kongo Language: English-Kongo dictionary. Kongo-English dictionary. Grammar (1887)
The Active Voice. When a verb speaks of an action performed, or some state of activity, it wears an Active form, and must be regarded as being in the Active voice, whether transitive or mtransitive. Examples. Act. trans. Sumba : to buy.
A Dictionary of Journalism (2014)
by Tony Harcup
active voice 4 understood. Theories about the active audience counter the * hypodermic model in which journalists and other creators of media output are said to be able to inject messages into the minds of a passive audience. Advocates of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Active voice
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Active voice
From "The Active Voice"
It's true you can't live here by chance,
You have to do and be, not simply watch
or even describe. This is the city of action,
The world headquarters of the verb -
Photo credit: Glutnix
Video language resources about Active voice
Click on an item to play that video:
- Active voice Meaning
Video shows what active voice means. the form in which the subject of a verb carries out some action. active voice pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Passive and Active voice definition
English class (Project)
- USCIS Plain Language: Active Voice
- Lrnteach/TEFL Dictionary: Active Voice
See also the pronunciation examples of Active voice!
Quotes about Active voice
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'active voice"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Active voice to see it in context!