The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun addition:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun addition and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun addition
- Phrases with Addition
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Addition
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Addition
- Photos about Addition
- Video language resources about Addition
- Quotes about Addition
- Scrabble value of A1D2D2I1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
Addition is sometimes a misspelling of edition.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun addition
What does addition mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: additions
- a component that is added to something to improve it
- examples: the addition of a bathroom was a major improvement | the addition of cinnamon improved the flavor
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of addition: add-on / improver
- more generic words: component / constituent / element = an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up
- more specific words:
- additive = something added to enhance food or gasoline or paint or medicine
- afterthought = an addition that was not included in the original plan
- extension / annexe / annex / wing = an addition that extends a main building
- attachment = a supplementary part or accessory
- elongation / extension = an addition to the length of something
- the act of adding one thing to another
- examples: the addition of flowers created a pleasing effect | the addition of a leap day every four years
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- antonym: subtraction
- more generic words: increase / step-up = the act of increasing something
- more specific words:
- a quantity that is added
- example: there was an addition to property taxes this year
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of addition: gain / increase
- more generic term: indefinite quantity = an estimated quantity
- more specific word: accretion = something contributing to growth or increase
- something added to what you already have
- a suburban area laid out in streets and lots for a future residential area
- the arithmetic operation of summing; calculating the sum of two or more numbers
"Addition" is a musical single of DJ Ed.
- released in (18 years ago)
- Addition is a mathematical operation that represents the total amount of objects together in a collection. It is signified by the plus sign. For example, in the picture on the right, there are 3 + 2 apples—meaning three apples and two apples together, which is a total of 5 apples. Therefore, 3 + 2 = 5. Besides counting fruits, addition can also represent combining other physical and abstract quantities using different kinds of objects: negative numbers, fractions, irrational numbers, vectors, decimals, functions, matrices and more.
- Addition: A seven-card-stud variant, in which number cards can be 'added' together to form cards of the resulting rank. If the two cards used are of the same suit, the new card has that suit; otherwise it is unsuited. Cards are combined before selecting 5 cards for a hand.
Phrases with Addition
Phrases starting with the word Addition:
Phrases ending with the word Addition:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Addition
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Anita Price Davis
Addition is an operation that, when performed on numbers of disjoint sets (sets with different members), results in a...
Addition is a binary operation, meaning it combines only two numbers at a time to produce a third, unique number.
An Introduction by J. V. Deshpande
Addition is an operation or a rule on the real numbers, under which, for any two real numbers x and y, we get a unique (= definite) real...
The scholar's arithmetic (1812)
or Federal account by Daniel Adams
<£ompoim& 3C&&tiom COMPOUND ADDITION is the adding of numbers, which confift of articles of different value, as pounds, fhillings, pence, and farthings, called different denominations ; ,the operations are to be regulated by the value of ...
Math, Grade 1 (2006)
by Brighter Child
Numbers Ordinal Numbers Addition Directions: Ordinal numbers show the order in a series, such as first, Directions: Write each word on the correct line to put \ Putting numbers together is called addition. When you add two second, or third.
by Saikia, Promode Kumar
differs from addition is the existence of inverse: for...
Z with usual addition is an abelian group exactly as Mn(F) is, with the number zero playing the role of additive identity.
English Synonyms Explained (1893)
In Alphabetical Order with Copious Illustrations and Examples Drawn from the Best Writers by George Crabb
Addition is an intentional mode of increasing : accession is an accidental mode : one thing is added to another, and thereby increased , but an accession takes place of itself; it is the coming or joining of one thing to another so as to increase ...
Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment by Aubrey Milunsky, Jeff M. Milunsky
The second addition is the chapter that is focused on the social, legal and ...
by Daniel Adams
COMPOUND ADDITION is the adding of numbers which consist ot Articles of different value, as pounds, shillings, pence, and farthings, called different denominations ; the operations are to be regulated by the value of the articles, which must ...
15th International Workshop, PATMOS 2005, Leuven, Belgium, September 21-23, 2005, Proceedings by Vassilis Paliouras, Johan Vounckx, Diederik Verkest
Addition is the most important operation in data processing and its speed has a significant impact on the overall performance of digital circuits. Therefore, many techniques have been proposed for fast adder design. An asynchronous ...
A New Dictionary of Ancient Geography, exhibiting the modern in addition to the ancient names of places (1803)
by Charles Pye
A NEW - DICTIONARY ANCIENT GEOGRAPHY, EXHIBITING THE MODERN IN ADDITION TO THE ANCIENT NAMES OF PLACES. DESIGNED FOR THE USE OF scHools, AND OF THOSE WHO ARE READING THE CLASSICS OR OTHER ...
Dictionary of Chemistry (2002)
by McGraw-Hill Education
['ad,ad~sm} addition agent [PHYS CHEM] A substance added to a plating solution to change charac— teristics Of the deposited substances.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Addition
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Addition
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mkreul
Photo credit: Rochelle, just rochelle
Photo credit: TheTurducken
Detail of striking addition to small house near Adams Ave.
Photo credit: Allan Ferguson
Photo credit: garann
Photo credit: pasa47
Photo credit: Diestl
Photo credit: pasa47
This is an addition to Jerry Lotz's gallery
Photo credit: local louisville
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: pbump
Photo credit: Yakinik
Photo credit: dave7dean
Photo credit: iantmcfarland
Photo credit: Pleuntje
Photo credit: mikecogh
Photo credit: fschnell
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Addition
Click on an item to play that video:
- 2-1: Addition Meaning and Addition Properties
- Addition Meaning
Video shows what addition means. The act of adding anything.. Anything that is added.. The arithmetic operation of adding.. addition synonyms: adding, ...
- Addition Meaning and Properties
- 2.1 Addition Meaning and Properties
Commutative, Identity, and Associative Properties of Addition.
- Math Lesson 6 - Addition Terminology/Review - 3rd grade Saxon Book
via YouTube Capture.
- [Explanation] Piston Mechanics (Correction + Addition)
- The Meaning of Multiplication-Repeated Addition
Envision Grade 4, Topic 1, Lesson 1 Multiplication as Repeated Addition.
- Addition Vocabulary
- Coupon Addition Explanation
- Addition Terminology
- Vocabulary and Segment Addition (Essentials of Geometry Day 1)
- Addition Vocabulary
- Set Definition of Addition
formal definition of addition of whole numbers.
- Lesson #1:Addition Vocabulary
- 6.NS.3 - Visual Vocabulary - Addition
- Addition Law For Probability - an easy explanation
This is an easy and visual explanation for the addition law in probability.
- Kaitlin's addition explanation
- Addition Explanation.
- Aqsa's Addition explanation
- Sharmila's Addition Explanation
- Word Problems Addition/Subtraction : Somali language
How to solve (Sida looga shaqeeyo) word problems: Af Soomaali.
- Addition (isku dar) in Somali Language
How to Add Numbers in Somali (isk- darka Xisaabta)
- Language of Mathematics III (65): Solving Equations - Addition and Subtraction
Support this project by making a DONATION at...
- EDX1280 The Addition Mat - Student Language
- Assembly Language Tutorial Lesson 4 Addition and Subtraction
Assembly Language Tutorial Lesson 4 Addition and Subtraction.
- Repeated Addition with "Action Language"
- Action Language, addition with c-rods and meaning
Another example of kids building on what they already know, instead of memorizing abstract symbols - to solve a simple addition math story.
- C Programming Addition Of Two Numbers C Tutorial Basic C Language tutorial Basic
visit for more detail...
- PIC asm Example 5-2 Addition in PIC Assembly Language
- Addition with Action Language and C-Rods
See also the pronunciation examples of Addition!
Quotes about Addition
But pain... seems to me an insufficient reason not to embrace life. Being dead is quite painless. Pain, like time, is going to come on regardless. Question is, what glorious moments can you win from life in addition to the pain? (Lois McMaster Bujold)
more quotes about addition...
Scrabble value of A1D2D2I1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Addition to see it in context!