On this page:
- Definition of the adjective addle
- Definition of the noun addle
- Definition of the verb addle
- Phrases with addle
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for addle
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for addle
- Photos about addle
- Video about addle
- Scrabble value of A1D2D2L1E1
- Anagrams of ADDLE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective addle
What does addle mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- Having lost the power of development, and become rotten, as eggs; putrid.
- [by extension] Unfruitful or confused, as brains; muddled. John Dryden.
- See addled.
Definition of the noun addle
What does addle mean as a name of something?
- [obsolete] Liquid filth; mire.
- [context: provincial] Lees; dregs. Wright
Definition of the verb addle
What does addle mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: addled | addling | addles
- mix up or confuse
- become rotten
Alternative definition of the verb addle
- [context: provincial, Northern England] To earn, earn by labor; earn money or one's living. — Forby.
- [context: provincial, Northern England] To thrive or grow; to ripen.
- To make addle; to grow addle; to muddle; as, he 'addled' his brain.
- To cause fertilised eggs to lose viability, by killing the developing embryo within through shaking, piercing, freezing or oiling, without breaking the shell.
ADDLE is an Aviation waypoint.
Phrases with addle
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for addle
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Storied Words (2004)
The Writer's Vocabulary and Its Origins by Jeff Jeske
ADDLE is an Old English term for “stinking urine, or other liquid filth.” The term eventually extended to rotten eggs (ADDLE EGG) and in the 16“h century began to describe conditions that, like rotten eggs, are muddled and disorganized. By the ...
by Sir Walter Scott
Sir Arthur Addle is a similar character, in a play called “Sir Solomon, or The Courteous Coxcomb,” attributed to one John Carylljudge how very unworthy this scribbler ...
Journal of Education (1906)
Campbell and Janie and Ben are all real children ; Aunt Addle is the dearest of old maids ; and the nurse Matilda is a genuine ogress. Each character, however slightly sketched, has its proper individuality. If we have a fault to find, it is that ...
Illustrations of English Philology ... Consisting of I. A critical examination of Dr. Johnson's Dictionary. II. Remarks on Mr. D. Stewart's essay “On the tendency of some late philological speculations.” To which is now added, An Advertisement; containing extracts from the English Lexicon, publishing in the Encyclopædia Metropolitana, and from the English Dictionary of Dr. Johnson (1826)
by Charles RICHARDSON (LL.D.)
ADDLE, Addle, adj. (from fine], a disease, Sax. according to Skinner and J unius; AIL, _ perhaps from-Ybel, idle, barren, unfruitful.) IDLE, To All, v. a. (Gglan, Sax.> to be troublesome.) ILL, Idle, adj. (from Ybel, Sax.) Ill, adj. (contracted from Evil ...
by J. Heinrich Blascke
Addle Wh. to earn, to — one's self heat: to get warm; Ln. to lay by money; ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* ADDLE, adj. [from edel, a disease, ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
addle As a noun addle is the dry lees of a wine or another word for mire or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for addle
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about addle
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: James Morrison
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about addle
Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Addle, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Meaning of the Word, Easy Vocabulary, Daily Vocabulary, Words Power, Words Meaning.
View more videos about Addle Pate.
See also the pronunciation examples of addle!
Scrabble value of A1D2D2L1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADDLE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of addle!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of addle to see it in context!