On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adenoid
What does adenoid mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adenoids
- a collection of lymphatic tissue in the throat behind the uvula (on the posterior wall and roof of the nasopharynx)
- examples: hypertrophy of the pharyngeal tonsils is called adenoids | enlarged adenoids may restrict the breathing of children
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of adenoid: Luschka's tonsil / pharyngeal tonsil / third tonsil / tonsilla adenoidea / tonsilla pharyngealis
- more generic terms: lymphatic tissue / lymphoid tissue = tissue making up the lymphatic system
- part of: pharynx / throat = the passage to the stomach and lungs
Alternative definition of the noun adenoid
- [anatomy] One of two folds of lymphatic tissue covered by ciliated epithelium. They are found in the roof and posterior wall of the nasopharynx at the back of the throat behind the uvula. They may obstruct normal breathing and make speech difficult when swollen, a condition often called adenitis.
Definition of the adjective adenoid
What does adenoid mean as an attribute of a noun?
- relating to or resembling lymphatic glands or lymphoid tissue
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for adenoid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions - Australian & New Zealand Edition (2014)
by Peter Harris, Sue Nagy, Nicholas Vardaxis
Also called adenoid cystic carcinoma, adenomyoepithelioma, cribriform carcinoma, cylindroma. Adenocystic carcinoma (Silverberg et al, 2006) adenocystoma [Gk, DGƝQ + kystis, ...
by Joseph Segen
Cf Adenoma adenocarcinoma of renal cells See Renal cell carcinoma adenocarcinoma of bronchus See Lung cancer adenocarcinoma of uterus Endometrial carcinoma, see there adenofibroma Fibroadenoma, see there adenoid adjective 1.
by Jennie King, Rhonda Hawley
the fibrous polypus and the adenoid polypus ; as rare pathological curiosities, dermoid and cystic polypi have been observed. Fibrous polypus. —This is composed of fibro-cellular tissue, ...
by Donald Venes
adenoid (ad (e ̆-) noyd) ...
Encyclopedia of Imaging (2008)
by Albert L. Baert
Histopathologically, adenoid cystic carcinoma is classified into the tubular (low grade), cribriform (intermediate grade), or solid (high grade) type; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for adenoid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about adenoid
Click on an item to view that photo:
Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of Sphenoid Sinus
Photo credit: euthman
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about adenoid
Video shows what adenoid means. Of or relating to lymphatic glands or lymphoid tissue; lymphoid.. adenoid synonyms: pharyngeal tonsil, Luschka's tonsil, third ...
See also the pronunciation examples of adenoid!
Scrabble value of A1D2E1N1O1I1D2
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADENOID
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of adenoid!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of adenoid to see it in context!