On this page:
- Adherbal, son of Micipsa and grandson of Masinissa, was a king of Numidia between 118 BC and 112 BC. He inherited the throne after the death of his father, and ruled jointly with his younger brother Hiempsal, and Jugurtha, the nephew of Masinissa. After the murder of his brother by Jugurtha, Adherbal fled to Rome and was restored to his share of the kingdom by the Romans in 117 BC, with Jugurtha ruling his brother's former share. But Adherbal was again stripped of his dominions by Jugurtha and besieged in Cirta, where he was treacherously killed by Jugurtha in 112 BC, although he had placed himself under the protection of the Romans.
- child of Micipsa
- Adherbal a.k.a. Ad Herbal: Adherbal or Ad Herbal was the admiral of the Carthaginian fleet which battled the Romans for domination of the Mediterranean Sea during the First Punic War. He was placed over Drepana, and completely defeated the Roman consul Publius Claudius Pulcher in the Battle of Drepana in 249.
- died in 0229 B.C. (2244 years ago)
- Adherbal was a Carthaginian noble who served as the governor of Gades during the Second Punic War. He was also a Carthaginian military commander in this war under the command of Mago Barca. He is perhaps best known for his defeat at the Battle of Carteia which was a naval battle that occurred in 206 BC as Adherbal was attempting to flee Carthaginian Hispania. His fleet was defeated near the ancient city of Carteia by Gaius Laelius.
Phrases with Adherbal
- Aporia Adherbal
- Anthene Adherbal
- Lycaena Adherbal
- Arhopala Adherbal
- Narathura Adherbal
- Somabrachys Adherbal
- Species Aporia Adherbal
- Species Anthene Adherbal
- Species Arhopala Adherbal
- Species Narathura Adherbal
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adherbal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Or, Explanation of the Names of Persons and Places in the Departments of Biblical, Political, and Ecclesiastical History, Mythology, Heraldry, Biography, Bibliography, Geography, and Numismatics. Illustrated by Portraits and Medallic Cuts by George Crabb
ADHERBAL (Hist.) 'Arsp;3ac, a naval commander of the Carthaginians, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adherbal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1D2H4E1R1B3A1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Adherbal to find many related words and phrases!