The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun adherent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun adherent
- Definition of the adjective adherent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for adherent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for adherent
- Photos about adherent
- Video about adherent
- Scrabble value of A1D2H4E1R1E1N1T1
- Anagrams of ADHERENT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adherent
What does adherent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adherents
- someone who believes and helps to spread the doctrine of another
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of adherent: disciple
- more generic word: follower = a person who accepts the leadership of another
- more specific terms:
- Zen Buddhist = an adherent of the doctrines of Zen Buddhism
- Mahayanist = an adherent of Mahayana Buddhism
- Hinayanist = an adherent of Hinayana Buddhism
- Lamaist = an adherent of Lamaism
- Tantrist = an adherent of Tantrism
- Jainist = a believer in Jainism
- Shintoist = a believer in Shintoism
- Rastafarian / Rasta = follower of Rastafarianism
- Mithraist = adherent of Mithraism
- Zoroastrian = follower of Zoroaster and Zoroastrianism
- absolutist = one who advocates absolutism
- amoralist = someone who adheres to the doctrine that ordinary moral distinctions are invalid
- animist = one who accepts the doctrine of animism
- antinomian = a follower of the doctrine of antinomianism
- Apostle = one of the original 12 disciples chosen by Christ to preach his gospel
- Aristotelean / Aristotelian / Peripatetic = a follower of Aristotle or an adherent of Aristotelianism
- Bahai = a teacher of or believer in Bahaism
- Taoist / Tao = an adherent of any branch of Taoism
- clericalist = one who advocates clericalism
- Donatist = an adherent of Donatism
- Druse / Druze = an adherent of an esoteric monotheistic religious sect living in the relative security of the mountains of Syria and Lebanon who believes that Al-hakim was an incarnation of God
- dualist = an adherent of dualism
- Hussite = an adherent of the religious reforms of John Huss
- Ismailian / Ismaili = an adherent of Ismailism
- Lutheran = follower of Lutheranism
- Mahdist = an adherent of Mahdism
- Manichaean / Manichean / Manichee = an adherent of Manichaeism
- Monophysite = an adherent of Monophysitism
- Neoplatonist = an adherent of Neoplatonism
- diabolist / Satanist = an adherent of Satan or Satanism
- Sikh = an adherent of Sikhism
- Socinian = an adherent of the teachings of Socinus; a Christian who rejects the divinity of Christ and the Trinity and original sin
- totalitarian = an adherent of totalitarian principles or totalitarian government
- Unitarian = adherent of Unitarianism
- Trinitarian = adherent of Trinitarianism
- Arminian = adherent of Arminianism
- votary = a devoted (almost religiously so) adherent of a cause or person or activity
- fundamentalist = an adherent of fundamentalist principles
- instance: Baruch = a disciple of and secretary for the prophet Jeremiah
Alternative definition of the noun adherent
- A person who has membership in some group, association or religion.
Definition of the adjective adherent
What does adherent mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more adherent / most adherent
- sticking fast
- similar: adhesive
Alternative definition of the adjective adherent
- adhesive, that sticks to something.
- That has the quality of clinging or sticking fast to something.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for adherent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1846)
by Alexander Whitelaw
Adherent, with tlie stems tubular and branched, sub-articulated, horny, (mining, and calcareous; cells in rows, either concatenated, or aduate, or incruated at the surface. Fig. 48, a portiou of a stem magnified. European seas. Lirioxoa Caribeta.
by Harold A Stein, Raymond M Stein
Adherent leukoma: Adhesion of the iris to a corneal scar. Alkali cornealburn: Burn caused by alkali chemicals such...
Bom - Bur
Calyx adherent, S*10- toothed.
by J. W. Ward
Adherent Abdomen. — Painful pressure in the abdomen, woke him at night after very vivid dreams, with an anxious sensation as if the abdomen ...
by David Crolla
Adherent Technologies Incorporated developed wet chemical processes that degrades the polymer and produces a “99+% clean fiber without degrading the fiber strength.” Adherent Technologies has a pilot plant that can process about 45 kg ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for adherent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about adherent
Click on an item to view that photo:
a member of the Encaustic cult
Photo credit: TheoJunior
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about adherent
Video shows what adherent means. Adhesive, sticking to something.. Having the quality of clinging or sticking fast to something.. Attaching or pressing against a ...
See also the pronunciation examples of adherent!
Scrabble value of A1D2H4E1R1E1N1T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADHERENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of adherent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of adherent to see it in context!