On this page:
- Definition of the noun adjective
- Definition of the adjective adjective
- Phrases with Adjective
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjective
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjective
- Photos about Adjective
- Video language resources about Adjective
- Sign language
- Quotes about Adjective
- Scrabble value of A1D2J8E1C3T1I1V4E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adjective
What does adjective mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adjectives
- a word that expresses an attribute of something
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic words: modifier / qualifier = a content word that qualifies the meaning of a noun or verb
- more specific terms:
- descriptive adjective / qualifying adjective = an adjective that ascribes to its noun the value of an attribute of that noun
- classifying adjective / relational adjective = an adjective that classifies its noun
- positive degree / positive = the primary form of an adjective or adverb
- comparative degree / comparative = the comparative form of an adjective or adverb
- superlative degree / superlative = the superlative form of an adjective or adverb
- the word class that qualifies nouns
Alternative definition of the noun adjective
- [grammar] A word that modifies a noun or describes a noun’s referent.
Definition of the adjective adjective
What does adjective mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of or relating to or functioning as an adjective
- relating to court practice and procedure as opposed to the principles of law
Alternative definition of the adjective adjective
- [obsolete] Incapable of independent function.
- [grammar] Adjectival; pertaining to or functioning as an adjective.
- [legal] Applying to methods of enforcement and rules of procedure.
- synonym: procedural
- [chemistry] Of a dye that needs the use of a mordant to be made fast to that which is being dyed.
Adjective: In linguistics, an adjective is a "describing word", the main syntactic role of which is to qualify a noun or noun phrase, giving more information about the object signified.
- also known as คำคุณศัพท์, Önad, 形容词
Phrases with Adjective
- Adjective phrase
- Proper adjective
- Ordinal Adjective
- Cardinal Adjective
- limiting adjective
- Relative Adjective
- Numerical Adjective
- Indefinite Adjective
- Possessive Adjective
- qualifying adjective
- relational adjective
- Attributive Adjective
- classifying adjective
- descriptive adjective
- Participial Adjective
- Predicative Adjective
- Substantive Adjective
- Demonstrative Adjective
- Interrogative Adjective
View more phrases with the word Adjective in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjective
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Universal Alphabet, Grammar, and Language; comprising a scientific classication of the radical elements of discourse, and illustrative translations, to which is added a Dictionary of the Language (1856)
by George EDMONDS (Attorney, of London.)
Werb, ontipost, ontipolt, ontipont, Verb, ontiprost, ontiprot,” ontipront, Adjective. ontupost, ontupolt, ontupont. Adjective. ontuprost, ontuprot, ontupront. $68 | Neutro-passive. - - ''erb, ontipaust, ontipault, ontipaunt, Verb. ontipraust, ontipraut, ...
by Chris Baldick
Adjective: epitaphic. See also lapidary. epithalamion [epi-tha ̆-lay-mion] (epithalamium) ...
Dictionary of Humorous Words (2014)
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
someone who alleges allergic [ adjective] strong dislike towards somebody amatory [adjective] relating to physical ...
Dictionary of Informal Words (2014)
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
cheapo [adjective] -- low-priced and of low quality cheapskate [noun] -- miser [a person who is hesitant to spend money] cheat sheet [noun] -- a set of secret notes containing useful information cheery [adjective] -- pleased and cheerful cheesy ...
by David Crystal
Gloss adjective adverb(ial) argument African-American Vernacular English ablative absolutive abstract accusafive active adjective adjective phrase adverb adverb(ial) phrase affix agreement agreement phrase agent(ive) allative aorist ...
Dictionary of Literary Words (2014)
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
-- unhealthy mental condition illusive [adjective] -- unreal imbrue [verb] -- to stain one's hand or sword with blood immemorial ...
Over 9,000 terms clearly defined by Bloomsbury Publishing
l/ adjective not working 2,000 employees were made idle by the recession.
incredible incision noun 1 cutting into something 2 a cut, a gash incisive adjective sharp, clear, firm incisor noun a front tooth incite verb to move to action; urge on □ incitement noun incivility noun (plural incivilities) impoliteness inclement ...
by John Ayto, John Simpson
zonked adjective 1 Intoxicated by alcohol or drugs; often followed by out. 1959–. DAILY TELEGRAPH A. . . Caucasian woman obviously zonked out . . . and a tracery of leaves resembling ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjective
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adjective
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Adjective Adjective Adjective
Photo credit: joyosity
- Adjective Apples in the Treetops Bulletin Board
Use all five senses to investigate apples. Write the adjectives that you used to describe them on paper apples and hang them in the apple trees using push pins. Children can remove the apples to help them spell the words during Writing
Workshop. Then put them back when finished.
From Apples in the Treetops Unit Study.
Photo credit: Evelyn Saenz
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adjective
Click on an item to play that video:
- Using "free" as a suffix to create an adjective meaning "no."
This video explains how to use "free" as a suffix.
- Numerical adjective Meaning
Video shows what numerical adjective means. A number used as an adjective; either a cardinal adjective (such as one) or an ordinal adjective (such as first)..
- Relative adjective Meaning
Video shows what relative adjective means. a relative pronoun used in an adjectival clause. relative adjective pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Predicative adjective Meaning
Video shows what predicative adjective means. An adjective that is not part of the noun clause it modifies, but is linked to it with a copula.. predicative adjective ...
- Vocabulary (Adjective collocations) April 19th 2013
- Vocabulary definition and Quiz: Formidable (Adjective) | dabblr
Watch and learn the meaning of the word "formidable" and take a quiz to practice.
- Vocabulary - Adjective Synonyms
Vocabulary - Adjective Synonyms.
- English grammar: Easiest explanation of Noun, Pronoun and Adjective
- Leftover (adjective) - English Bites and Clips - Know Vocabulary for Everyday use
Know vocabulary for everyday use : Leftover (adjective)
- Adjective & Adverb - definition and examples of Adjective & Adverb - types of Adjective & Adverb.
- Adjective Vocabulary
- F1 Sec 3.1 - Adjective Vocabulary
F1 Sec 3.1 - Adjective Vocabulary.
- Academic Vocabulary - adjective (Group 6)
- Academic Vocabulary - adjective (Group 1)
- Academic Vocabulary - adjective (Group 3)
- English Kid Vocabulary Adjective by Shamy
- Academic Vocabulary - adjective (Group 4)
- Academic Vocabulary - adjective (Group 2)
- Basic English Grammar - Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb
- Predicate Noun and Adjective
Predicate Noun - Predicate Adjectives.
- Adjective Song from Grammaropolis - "Paint the Way"
Classroom accounts now available for teachers!
- Adjective & Preposition Combinations (English Grammar)
- Adjective Clause
This animation teaches the learner to define adjective clause, identify adjective clause in given sentences ,use adjective clause to modify the subject, a noun in ...
- What is an adjective - English grammar lesson. Adjectives in English
Adjectives help to express more about the person, animal, thing or place you are talking about. They describe the noun in a sentence and add meaning to it.
- Adjective Clause
What are adjective clauses, how are they formed, and how are they properly used in sentences (including punctuation)?
- Adjective and adverb phrases
- Advanced English Grammar - Adjective Clauses + Quantifiers
- Adjective and Adverb Prepositional Phrases
This lesson review identifying and labeling adjective and adverb prepositional phrases.
- It's + adjective + infinitive
This is a common sentence pattern in English starting with "it's," then the adjective, then the infinitive, and whatever else you want to put in there.
- Adjective Song: All About That Adjective
This video is about All About That Adjective.
View more videos about Adjective phrase, Proper adjective, Ordinal Adjective, Cardinal Adjective, limiting adjective, Indefinite Adjective, Possessive Adjective, Attributive Adjective, Descriptive Adjective, Participial Adjective, Substantive Adjective, Demonstrative Adjective, and Interrogative Adjective.
See also the pronunciation examples of Adjective!
Adjective sign language
Quotes about Adjective
You may call me selfish if you will, conservative or reactionary, or use any other harsh adjective you see fit to apply, but an American I was born, an American I have remained all my life. (Henry Cabot Lodge)
more quotes about adjective...
Scrabble value of A1D2J8E1C3T1I1V4E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 22 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adjective to see it in context!