The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb adjourn:
On this page:
- Definition of the verb adjourn
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjourn
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjourn
- Photos about Adjourn
- Video language resources about Adjourn
- Quotes about Adjourn
- Scrabble value of A1D2J8O1U1R1N1
- Anagrams of ADJOURN
- Share this page
Adjourn is sometimes a misspelling of adjourned.
Definition of the verb adjourn
What does adjourn mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: adjourned | adjourning | adjourns
- close at the end of a session
- break from a meeting or gathering
- example: We adjourned for lunch
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of adjourn: retire / withdraw
- more generic terms: close / close down / close up / fold / shut down = cease to operate or cause to cease operating
- more specific word: prorogue = adjourn by royal prerogative
- entailment: assemble / foregather / forgather / gather / meet = collect in one place
Alternative definition of the verb adjourn
- [transitive] To postpone.
- [transitive] Temporarily ending an event with intentions to complete it at another time or place.
- [intransitive] Of an event: To end or suspend
- [intransitive] To move from one place to another.
Specialised definition of the verb adjourn
Glossary of justice
to suspend or delay the hearing of a case
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjourn
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Carole Marsh
To adjourn means to break from a meeting or gathering. The Elizabethan Gardens is a traditional English flower garden next to the Fort ...
Parliamentary Debates (1897)
by New Zealand. Parliament
The suggestion to adjourn is a very great mistake. The Opposition have been unable to find any fault with the Financial Statement, and they have resorted to these tactics to prevent the business of the country being proceeded with. Owing to ...
Congressional Record (1915)
Proceedings and Debates of the ... Congress by United States. Congress
The motion to adjourn is a motion which enables the assembly, to rest from its labors, and is highly privileged.
by Roderick Denyer
A decision whether to adjourn is a decision within the discretion of the trial court. An appellate court will interfere only if very clear grounds for doing so are shown. (b) Magistrates should pay great attention to the need for expedition in the ...
A compilation of words selected for their application in preparation for and the conduct of meetings. by Harold E. Corbin
Adjourn, v.t. To terminate a meeting or session by a motion or when time set has arrived. Must be declared by the chair. The motion to adjourn is privileged if unqualified. It must be seconded, cannot be amended nor debated, and takes a ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
hold up Suspend a meeting or court proceedings temporarily—adjourn, recess Suspend court proceedings temporarily—adjourn, recess Suspend for the time being—adjourn Suspend from a university—rusticate Suspend in the air—hover ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjourn
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adjourn
Click on an item to view that photo:
Adjourn to Better Pub
That hasn't run out of bitters. Also, a picture of JTL.
Photo credit: raludwick
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adjourn
Click on an item to play that video:
- Adjourn Meaning
Video shows what adjourn means. To postpone.. To defer; to put off temporarily or indefinitely.. To end or suspend an event.. Adjourn Meaning. How to ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Adjourn, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Meaning of the Word, Easy Vocabulary, Daily Vocabulary, Words Power, Words Meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of Adjourn!
Quotes about Adjourn
But to adjourn the case with the help og your friend called Agumey!
And, to expose the errant judge was like the muse of your jokes;
However, help maintain the sanctity of the system in this town. (Edward Kofi Louis)
more quotes about adjourn...
Scrabble value of A1D2J8O1U1R1N1
The value of this 7-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine