On this page:
- Definition of the noun adjunct
- Definition of the adjective adjunct
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjunct
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjunct
- Photos about Adjunct
- Video language resources about Adjunct
- Quotes about Adjunct
- Scrabble value of A1D2J8U1N1C3T1
- Share this page
Adjunct (something added, attached, or joined) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
Definition of the noun adjunct
What does adjunct mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adjuncts
- something added to another thing but not an essential part of it
- a person who is an assistant or subordinate to another
- a construction that can be used to extend the meaning of a word or phrase but is not one of the main constituents of a sentence
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic terms: construction / expression / grammatical construction = a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit
- more specific terms: parenthetical expression / parenthetical = an expression in parentheses
Alternative definition of the noun adjunct
- An appendage; something attached to something else in a subordinate capacity.
- A person associated with another in a subordinate position.
- [grammar] A dispensable phrase in a clause or sentence that amplifies its meaning, such as "for a while" in "I typed for a while".
- [rhetoric] Symploce.
Definition of the adjective adjunct
What does adjunct mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- furnishing added support
- of or relating to a person who is subordinate to another
Alternative definition of the adjective adjunct
- Connected in a subordinate function.
- Added to a faculty or staff in a secondary position.
Adjunct is a record label.
Adjunct is a fictional film character.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjunct
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Greek (adjunct); Thos. R. Price, Prof. Eng. Lang. and Lit.; E. Munroe Smith, Prof. Hist. adjunct); John D. Quackenbos, Prof. ng. Lang, and Lit. (adjunct); John K. Rees, ...
Adjunct Proiessors : Carter S. Cole, M.D.; Franz ...
by Bas Aarts, Sylvia Chalker, Edmund Weiner
predication adjunct (v.) ( Pronounced /ˈpredɪkeɪt/.) Assert (something) about a linguistic unit, typically the subject of a sentence. predication 1. What is predicated. The term may be used as a ...
A Dictionary of Stylistics (2014)
by Katie Wales
Usually adjunct designates an element in the structure of a SENTENCE which refers to a circumstance (e.g. reason, place, manner, etc.) rather than a direct participant, e.g. Farmers dig in (for battle). (See Ronald Carter & Michael McCarthy ...
Philologia Anglicana: or, a Philological and synonymical dictionary of the English language; in which the words are deduced from their originals-their sense defined-and the same illustrated and supported by proper examples and notes, critical and explanatory. [“A-Adornment” only.] (1806)
by Benjamin DAWSON (Rector of Burgh, Suffolk.)
Learning is but an adjunct to ourself, And where we are, our learning likewise is." Shakespear's Love's Labour Lost. A'DJUNCT, adj. [adju-ndus, Lat] Such as “ belongs to a thing as its subject; but with the allusion noted in the definition of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjunct
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adjunct
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adjunct
Click on an item to play that video:
- Adjunct Meaning
Video shows what adjunct means. An appendage; something attached to something else in a subordinate capacity.. A person associated with another, usually in ...
- Adjunct Professor Definition
- Definition of an Adjunct Professor
- Vocabulary Adjunct
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Adjunct, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Meaning of the Word, Easy Vocabulary, Daily Vocabulary, Words Power, Words Meaning.
View more videos about Noun adjunct.
See also the pronunciation examples of Adjunct!
Quotes about Adjunct
So no one should rely on television either for their knowledge of music or for news. There's just more going on. It's an adjunct to the written word, which I think is still the most important thing. (Kurt Loder)
more quotes about adjunct...
Scrabble value of A1D2J8U1N1C3T1
The value of this 7-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adjunct to see it in context!