The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun admirer:
On this page:
Definition of the noun admirer
What does admirer mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: admirers
- a person who backs a politician or a team etc.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of admirer: booster / champion / friend / protagonist / supporter
- more generic words: advocate / advocator / exponent / proponent = a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
- more specific terms:
- anglophile / anglophil = an admirer of England and things English
- believer / truster = a supporter who accepts something as true
- Boswell = a devoted admirer and recorder of another's words and deeds
- cheerleader = an enthusiastic and vocal supporter
- Confederate = a supporter of the Confederate States of America
- corporatist = a supporter of corporatism
- enthusiast / partisan / partizan = an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity
- Francophile / Francophil = an admirer of France and everything French
- free trader = an advocate of unrestricted international trade
- functionalist = an adherent of functionalism
- Jacobite = a supporter of James II after he was overthrown or a supporter of the Stuarts
- loyalist / stalwart = a person who is loyal to their allegiance
- New Dealer = a supporter of the economic policies in the United States known as the New Deal
- philhellenist / Graecophile / philhellene = an admirer of Greece and everything Greek
- mainstay / pillar = a prominent supporter
- Roundhead = a supporter of parliament and Oliver Cromwell during the English Civil War
- seconder = someone who endorses a motion or petition as a necessary preliminary to a discussion or vote
- Shavian = an admirer of G. B. Shaw or his works
- subscriber / endorser / indorser / ratifier = someone who expresses strong approval
- sympathiser / sympathizer / well-wisher = someone who shares your feelings or opinions and hopes that you will be successful
- wassailer / toaster = someone who proposes a toast
- maintainer / sustainer / upholder = someone who upholds or maintains
- verifier / voucher = someone who vouches for another or for the correctness of a statement
- Whig = a supporter of the American Revolution
- a person who admires; someone who esteems or respects or approves
- someone who admires a young woman
- example: she had many admirers
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of admirer: adorer
- more generic word: lover = a person who loves someone or is loved by someone
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun admirer
- One who admires.
- Admirer is a fictional character from the 2007 film Becoming Jane.
- Admirer is a fictional character from the 2006 film The Kovak Box.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Admirer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Stanley L. Bentley
But beckoning irresistibly to any admirer is the fabulous snow white color ...
Our Paris (2011)
Sketches from Memory by Edmund White
But Madame Denise's greatest admirer is the coiffeuse in the shop next to Mona Lisait, a stunning young beur (a French-born Arab) who tries out all the latest hairstyles on Madame Denise. One day our concierge will look like a Roman matron ...
by John Wilkes (of Milland House, Sussex)
admirer, Fr.] To regard with wonder t generally in a good sense. It is sometimes used, in more familiar speech, for to regard with love. It is used, but rarely, in an ill sense. To Admire, v. n. To wonder; sometimes with the particle at.
With a Compendium of History, 1834-1904 : a Record of the Achievements of Its People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation by Timothy Horton Ball
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
admirer. Ir.] k. To regard with wonder : generally in a good sense. — 'Tis here that knowledge wonders, and there is an admiration that is not the daughter of ignorance. This indeed stupidly gazeth at the ...
containing an historical and critical account of the lives and writings of the most eminent persons in every nation by Alexander Chalmers
The common report is, that this lady, who was between forty and fifty, having for some time been a great admirer of Mr. Barnes, came to Cambridge, and desired leave to settle an hundred pounds a year B A It N E S. Sll Joshua Barnes, ...
A - F.
Swinburne, a long-time admirer of ...
A Dictionary of English Synonymes and Synonymous Or Parallel Expressions, Designed as a Practical Guide to Aptness and Variety of Phraseology (1871)
by Richard Soule
Admirer, n. Lover, gallant, suitor, sweetheart, beau, cicisbeo. Admissible, a. Permissible, allowable, lawful, proper, justifiable, warrantable. Admission, n. 1. Admittance, introduction, access, entrance, initiation, ENTRÉE. 3. Allowance, avowal ...
E.A. Andrews by Julius Caesar
(admirer,) admirable, to be ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Admirer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Admirer
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: kizzzbeth
The tunnel apparently makes people radioactive.
Photo credit: orijinal
Photo credit: Wong's Bokehgraphy
Photo credit: Ted Drake
Photo credit: Misserion
Photo credit: AlphaTangoBravo / Adam Baker
- Distant admirer
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Great admirer :)
Photo credit: Milan G
- Jellyfish Admirer
Photo credit: Sharon Mollerus
- Art Admirer
Photo credit: Vivanista1
Video about Admirer
Video shows what admirer means. One who admires.. admirer pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. admirer meaning. Powered ...
View more videos about Secret Admirer.
See also the pronunciation examples of Admirer!
Quotes about Admirer
The ox which has grown old has no admirer.
more quotes about admirer...
Scrabble value of A1D2M3I1R1E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADMIRER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Admirer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Admirer to see it in context!