The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun adolescent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun adolescent
- Definition of the adjective adolescent
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Adolescent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adolescent
- Photos about Adolescent
- Video language resources about Adolescent
- Quotes about Adolescent
- Scrabble value of A1D2O1L1E1S1C3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of ADOLESCENT
- Share this page
Definition of the noun adolescent
What does adolescent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adolescents
- a juvenile between the onset of puberty and maturity
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of adolescent: stripling / teen / teenager
- more generic terms: juvenile / juvenile person = a young person, not fully developed
- more specific terms:
- chebab = a Palestinian juvenile 10-15 years old who fights against the Israelis
- mod = a British teenager or young adult in the 1960s
- pachuco = a Mexican-American teenager who belongs to a neighborhood gang and who dresses in showy clothes
- punk rocker / punk = a teenager or young adult who is a performer (or enthusiast) of punk rock and a member of the punk youth subculture
- rocker = a teenager or young adult in the 1960s who wore leather jackets and rode motorcycles
- young buck / young man = a teenager or a young adult male
Alternative definition of the noun adolescent
- A teenager; a juvenile after puberty
Definition of the adjective adolescent
What does adolescent mean as an attribute of a noun?
- relating to or peculiar to or suggestive of an adolescent
- example: adolescent problems
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
- being of the age 13 through 19
- displaying or suggesting a lack of maturity
- in the state of development between puberty and maturity
- example: adolescent boys and girls
- similar: immature
Alternative definition of the adjective adolescent
- Characteristic of, or relating to, or undergoing adolescence; immature.
- Adolescent is a fictional character from the drama film Carré blanc.
- Adolescent is a fictional character from Gueule de Bois.
- Adolescent is a fictional character from the 2013 film The Husband.
"Adolescent" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music and lyrics by Jacques Higelin
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Adolescent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Caroline S. Clauss-Ehlers
In the United States, schoolwork accounted for an average of 25–30% of adolescent waking hours. Because of the variability in ethnic identity formation at this stage, students can respond quite differently from each other to discrimination.
by Sana Loue, Martha Sajatovic
The Latino adolescent population is therefore a concentration of research surrounding sexual risk behavior and immigrant health. Studies examining the impact of immigrantgenerational status on sexual activity provide more mixed findings ...
by Rick E. Ingram, PhD
This reflects accumulating research that suggests there are important differences between adolescent and adult depression. Indeed, the prevailing diagnostic system recognizes that the symptom profile for depressed teens may be different ...
by Gary L. Fisher, Nancy A. Roget
adolescent using ...
by Celia B Fisher, Richard M. Lerner
It also demonstrates how the concept, when taken at face value, is incongruous with normative and healthy adolescent development. By becoming a guiding directive of contemporary U.S. sexuality education policy, abstinence has come to ...
Volume I: Adult Clinical Applications Volume II: Child Clinical Applications Volume III: Educational Applications by Michel Hersen
ADOLESCENT. ANGER. MANAGEMENT. DESCRIPTION OF THE STRATEGY In a variety of clinical, educational, and residential treatment settings, adolescents exhibiting oppositional defiant and conduct disorders show patterns of irritability ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adolescent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adolescent
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Adolescent, El Mina
Adolescent gazes into what might be. The lighting, the fractured cement,
her sitting position, her gaze, the sitting stool, the crossed arms all crystalizes this young adult's possible challenges. El Mina, Accra, Ghana, W. Africa
Photo credit: emilio labrador
- Group photo of adolescent girls outdoors
Photo credit: simpleinsomnia
- Adolescent Girl in Sao Francisco do Sul - Brazil
Photo credit: Adam Jones, Ph.D. - Global Photo Archive
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adolescent
Click on an item to play that video:
View more videos about The Adolescent.
See also the pronunciation examples of Adolescent!
Quotes about Adolescent
Scrabble value of A1D2O1L1E1S1C3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADOLESCENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
- COATED LENS
See also the blanagrams of Adolescent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adolescent to see it in context!