On this page:
- Definition of the noun adornment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adornment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adornment
- Photos about Adornment
- Video language resources about Adornment
- Quotes about Adornment
- Scrabble value of A1D2O1R1N1M3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of ADORNMENT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adornment
What does adornment mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adornments
- a decoration of color or interest that is added to relieve plainness
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: decoration / ornament / ornamentation = something used to beautify
- more specific terms:
- banding / stripe / band = an adornment consisting of a strip of a contrasting color or material
- novelty / trinket / bangle / bauble / fallal / gewgaw / gaud = cheap showy jewelry or ornament on clothing
- beauty spot = a spot that is worn on a lady's face for adornment
- boutonniere = a flower that is worn in a buttonhole
- circlet = decorated metal band worn around the head
- cordon = adornment consisting of an ornamental ribbon or cord
- epaulette / epaulet = adornment consisting of an ornamental cloth pad worn on the shoulder
- fob = an adornment that hangs from a watch chain
- furbelow / flounce / ruffle / frill = a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
- frog = a decorative loop of braid or cord
- frontlet / frontal = an adornment worn on the forehead
- jewellery / jewelry = an adornment (as a bracelet or ring or necklace) made of precious metals and set with gems
- pectoral medallion / pectoral = an adornment worn on the chest or breast
- pendant / pendent = an adornment that hangs from a piece of jewelry
- plume = a feather or cluster of feathers worn as an ornament
- pom-pom / pompon = decoration consisting of a ball of tufted wool or silk
- rosette = an ornament or pattern resembling a rose that is worn as a badge of office or as recognition of having won an honor
- diamante / spangle / sequin = adornment consisting of a small piece of shiny material used to decorate clothing
- tassel = adornment consisting of a bunch of cords fastened at one end
- passementerie / trimming / trim = a decoration or adornment on a garment
- war paint = adornment consisting of paint applied to the face and body of certain Amerindians before a battle
- the action of decorating yourself with something colorful and interesting
Alternative definition of the noun adornment
- A decoration; that which adorns.
- The act of decorating.
Adornment: An adornment is generally an accessory or ornament worn to enhance the beauty or status of the wearer. They are often worn to embellish, enhance, or distinguish the wearer, and to define cultural, social, or religious status within a specific community. When worn to show economic status, the items are often either rare or prohibitively expensive to others. Adornments are usually colourful, and worn to attract attention.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adornment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
I Ching (2006)
Adornment means seeking. Image. Adornment means seeking,rising with those above. 3 yang.Adorned and luxuriant,you will be lucky if you are always steadfast and true. Image. The luck of being forever steadfast and true is that ultimately no ...
by Merril D. Smith
Adornment is an important form of communication. It has been used throughout time to indicate occupation, rank, gender, sexual availability, class, wealth, and group affiliation. Dress can be viewed as an important indicator of group identity ...
The Traditional View of Art by Ananda Kentish Coomaraswamy
is called adornment (decor), whether it be in the thing or externally adapted to it, as ornaments of clothing and jewels and the like. Hence, adornment is common to the beautiful and appropriate.
A Guide to Identification and Interpretation by Carolyn L. White
behaviors, but also clothing, cosmetics, hairstyles, and other kinds of adornment.30 Personal adornment is the recoverable evidence of the act of inscription, of the act of inscrib— ing the body. DRESS, PERFORMANCE, INSCRIPTION, AND ...
Seventh-day Adventism and the American Dream by Malcolm Bull, Keith Lockhart
The problem with such adornment is that it attracts attention to the surfaces and ori¤ces of the body, thus emphasizing that the body is ...
Philosophy and Its Others (1990)
Ways of Being and Mind by William Desmond
Thus, adornment is an aesthetic self-mediation but it produces a doubling or pluralizing of identity. Consider here the ...
Walking Where Jesus Walked (2014)
American Christians and Holy Land Pilgrimage by Hillary Kaell
The main artistic adornment is a walllength baptistery painting at the front of the sanctuary depicting the Jordan as a wide river with fast-moving rapids in the foreground and majestic mountains in the distance. The bright blue water is flanked ...
Investigating Culture (2011)
An Experiential Introduction to Anthropology by Carol Delaney
Adornment is an aspect – even a major aspect – of clothing.
by Margo DeMello
Body adornment and body modification have been important topics for scholars in the social sciences as well as the humanities for the past twenty years. Currently, there is not a single overall reference book that covers the breadth and scope ...
4 Volume Set by Bonnie G. Smith
Body adornment and clothing comprise a wide range of forms and practices: garments; footwear; hats, veils, and other headgear; jewelry; accessories and accoutrements like bags and belts; cosmetics; coiffure; and even alterations of the skin ...
by Joyce E. Salisbury
Finally, jewelry was adornment to enhance sexual attractiveness. While early jewelry was made ...
Encyclopedia of Hair (2006)
A Cultural History by Victoria Sherrow
Adornment, Ornamental Adornment, Symbolic Advertising Africa African Americans Afro Aging and Hair Alberto-Culver Company Albinism Alexandre of Paris Allergic Reactions Alopecia Areata American Beauty Association American Health ...
by David Shephard Garland, Lucius Polk McGehee, James Cockcroft, Charles Porterfield
7ro, it was said: “The word jmvelry is generally used as including articles of personal adornment, and the word further imports that the articles are of value in the community where they are used. A belt of co wry shells, a necklace of bears' claws ...
by James Watson, Anne Hill
Dress Appearance and bodily adornment are important aspects of non-verbal communica- tion, and play an especially significant role when people are forming first impressions of one another. These features can send a range of messages ...
by Diagram Group
gild the lily To try to beautify something that is already beautiful and needs no further adornment. give someone the cold shoulder To deliberately ignore or snub someone. go Dutch To share the cost of something, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adornment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adornment
Click on an item to view that photo:
Lincoln Memorial adornment.
Photo credit: The Eggplant
Photo credit: orangetaki
Federal Reserve Bank Cleveland
Photo credit: Craig Hatfield
Photo credit: 7 july :-)
Photo credit: caffeinated_zeitgeist
Photo credit: 范仲淹帮主
Photo credit: pj_vanf
- Kwakiutl Mask with Bird Adornment
The bird motif gives this mask a fierce appearance.
Photo credit: Les_Williams
- Starfish Adornment
Photo credit: ikrichter
- Bike adornment
Photo credit: jackie_oh
- LED adornment
Photo credit: dion [oʇoɥdʞoɯɐ]
- Church Adornment
Photo credit: pillowhead
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adornment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Adornment Meaning
Video shows what adornment means. A decoration; that which adorns.. The act of decorating.. Adornment Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Clothing and Adornment: Sartorial Insights on Gender Definition in the Talmud
Clothing and Adornment: Sartorial Insights on Gender Definition in the Talmud. Taught by Professor David Kraemer. Part of the What to Wear: Women, Clothing, ...
- Items of Adornment: A Description of Ornamental Objects from the Redwood Box Cache
Presentation #13 This video is from the San Nicolas Island Box Cache presentations during the 2012 California Islands Symposium. Presenter: Richard B.
- Check LANGUAGE OF DREAMS: CLOTHES, HAIR, JEWELRY: FEMALE ADORNMENT IN DREAMS Best
See also the pronunciation examples of Adornment!
Quotes about Adornment
Scrabble value of A1D2O1R1N1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 12 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADORNMENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Adornment!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adornment to see it in context!