The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun advancement:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun advancement
- Phrases with Advancement
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Advancement
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Advancement
- Photos about Advancement
- Video language resources about Advancement
- Quotes about Advancement
- Scrabble value of A1D2V4A1N1C3E1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun advancement
What does advancement mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: advancements
- encouragement of the progress or growth or acceptance of something
- the act of moving forward (as toward a goal)
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of advancement: advance / forward motion / onward motion / procession / progress / progression
- more generic words: motion / move / movement = the act of changing location from one place to another
- more specific terms:
- gradual improvement or growth or development
- example: advancement of knowledge
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of advancement: progress
- more generic word: development = act of improving by expanding or enlarging or refining
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun advancement
- The act of advancing, or the state of being advanced; progression; improvement; furtherance; promotion to a higher place or dignity; as, the advancement of learning.
- An advance of money or value; payment in advance.
- [legal] Property given, usually by a parent to a child, in advance of a future distribution.
Advancement is a common law doctrine of intestate succession that presumes that gifts given to a person's heir during that person's life are intended as an advance on what that heir would inherit upon the death of the parent. For example, suppose person P had two children, A and B. Suppose also that P had $100,000, and gave $20,000 to child A before P's death, leaving $80,000 in P's estate. If P died without a will, and A and B were P's only heirs, A and B would be entitled to split P's estate evenly. If the doctrine of advancement were not applied, then each child would receive half of the remaining $80,000, or $40,000. However, if the doctrine of advancement is applied, then the $20,000 already given to A would be considered part of P's estate advanced to A. Thus, the estate would still be valued at $100,000, and each heir would be entitled to $50,000, with the $20,000 already given to A being counted as part of his share. Of the remaining $80,000, A would take $30,000 and B would take $50,000.
Phrases with Advancement
Phrases ending with the word Advancement:
Other phrases containing the word Advancement:
- association for the advancement of retired persons
- Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Advancement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An advancement is an irrevocable gift by a parent to a child in anticipation of such child's future share of the parent's estate.
by Alan Price
Advancement is a positive move from one state to another that acts as a foundation for further advances. Fundamental to structural advancement is the ...
by William Clark
If the profile improves with the mandible advanced, this is a clear indication that functional mandibular advancement is the treatment of choice. Clinical diagnosis has the advantage of providing an accurate prediction of the threedimensional ...
Man! Know thyself (1954)
by Sant Kirpal Singh
of the teachings; whereas the actual demonstration given to develop and achieve inner advancement is the practical part, called meditation or Satsang ( internal). Conscientious practice brings fruit within days or weeks and it is not necessary ...
Public Finance (2008)
by S.N. Chand
A necessary requisite for its advancement is the general development as also its own progress. In the process of general economic development, agriculture also contributes a lot. It is, therefore, necessary and useful to acquaint ourselves with ...
by Michael W. Ross, Sue J. Dyson
An important recent advancement is the ready availability of user-friendly computer programs to acquire, analyze, store, and process images. Systems based on Apple, Windows, and Unix are currently available and are straightforward. Motion ...
Insights from the NIH-University-Industry Relationship by Wendy H. Schacht
The federal involvement in R&D stems, in part, from the understanding that technological advancement is a key element in economic growth. Many of the innovations that stimulate technological progress are rooted in basic research. However ...
equal sharing in power and decision making; creation of strong mechanism to promote the advancement of women; promotion of women's human rights; equality in access to, and participation in, the media; equality in the family and society; ...
Nursing AAAHC: Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care AAAI: American Association for Artificial Intelligence AACE: Association for the Advancement of Computers in Education AAFP: American Academy of Family Physicians ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Advancement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Advancement
Click on an item to view that photo:
Machine in an abandoned brickworks in Northern Italy
Photo credit: Timm Suess
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Advancement
Click on an item to play that video:
- Plexus Compensation Plan and Rank Advancement Explanation
Plexus Compensation Plan and Rank Advancement Explanation.
- Advancement Meaning
Video shows what advancement means. The act of advancing, or the state of being advanced; progression; improvement; furtherance; promotion to a higher ...
- Everquest - AA (Alternate Advancement) Video Explanation
- Thesis Advancement Review: A Framework for Shared Meaning
Bridging the gap between Business and Design. Let's empathize and understand each other enough to establish a shared meaning and let that be the ...
- Paradigm Advancement and Definition - Final Fantasy XIII (HD) Gameplay!
PS3 Final Fantasy XIII (HD) Gameplay! Twitter: @ZeitgeistReview Game Reviews, Screen-Shots, Game-play...
- 2014-04-05 Kaden Vocabulary - Master Lee's Taekwondo Belt advancement Test
- 2014-04-05 Tanner Vocabulary - Master Lee's Taekwondo Belt advancement Test
- Weifu vs Chakki | Group A Advancement Match | ESL Legendary Series Finals Season 1
G1: 6:20 | G2: 20:47 | G3: 33:11 | G4: 43:52 | Interview: 1:08:23 ESL Legendary S1 Finals Playlist...
- SilentStorm vs Savjz | Group A Advancement Match | ESL Legendary Series Finals Season 1
G1: 6:47 | G2: 17:56 | G3: 24:10 | G4: 43:20 | G5: 56:08 | Interview: 1:16:15 ESL Legendary S1 Finals Playlist...
- PinPingHo vs Chakki | Group B Advancement Match | ESL Legendary Series Finals Season 1
G1: 5:03 | G2: 17:14 | G3: 22:18 | Interview: 38:34 ESL Legendary S1 Finals Playlist...
- Modern Language Advancement Interactive Tour
- Career Advancement with English as a Second Language
Cher Gunderson, Owner of Master Your Accent, interviews Polina Mesechova, Chemist and Nutrition Consultant at...
- Professional Advancement & Relationship Building in Language Teaching
See also the pronunciation examples of Advancement!
Quotes about Advancement
After I asked him what he meant, he replied that freedom consisted of the unimpeded right to get rich, to use his ability, no matter what the cost to others, to win advancement. (Norman Thomas)
more quotes about advancement...
Scrabble value of A1D2V4A1N1C3E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 11-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Advancement to see it in context!