The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun adventure:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb adventure:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun adventure
- Definition of the verb adventure
- Phrases with Adventure
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adventure
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adventure
- Photos about Adventure
- Video language resources about Adventure
- Sign language
- Quotes about Adventure
- Scrabble value of A1D2V4E1N1T1U1R1E1
- Anagrams of ADVENTURE
- Share this page
The word adventure is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adventure
What does adventure mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adventures
- a wild and exciting undertaking (not necessarily lawful)
Alternative definition of the noun adventure
- That which happens without design; chance; hazard; hap; hence, chance of danger or loss.
- antonym: boredom
- The encountering of risks; hazardous and striking enterprise; a bold undertaking, in which hazards are to be encountered, and the issue is staked upon unforeseen events; a daring feat.
- A remarkable occurrence; a striking event; a stirring incident; as, the adventures of one's life.
- A mercantile or speculative enterprise of hazard; a venture; a shipment by a merchant on his own account.
Definition of the verb adventure
What does adventure mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: adventured | adventuring | adventures
- take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of adventure: chance / gamble / hazard / risk / run a risk / take a chance / take chances
- more generic words: assay / attempt / essay / seek / try = make an effort or attempt
- more specific terms:
- put at risk
Alternative definition of the verb adventure
- [transitive] To risk or hazard; jeopard; venture.
- [transitive] To venture upon; to run the risk of; to dare.
- [intransitive] To try the chance; to take the risk.
- "Adventure" is a 1945 American romantic drama film directed by Victor Fleming and starring Clark Gable and Greer Garson. Based on the 1937 novel The Annointed by Clyde Brion Davis, the film is about a sailor who falls in love with a librarian. Adventure was Gable's first postwar film and the tagline repeated in the movie's famous trailer was "Gable's back and Garson's got him!" Victor Fleming was one of Gable's favorite directors.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Sam Zimbalist
- art direction by Cedric Gibbons & Urie McCleary
- written by Vincent Lawrence, Anthony Veiller, Frederick Hazlitt Brennan & William H. Wright
- based on "The Anointed" by Clyde Brion Davis
- cinematography by Joseph Ruttenberg
- edited by Frank Sullivan
- music by Herbert Stothart
- costume design by Irene
- set decoration by Edwin B. Willis
- genres: Black-and-white, Drama
- tagline: Gable's Back and Garson's Got Him
- released on (69 years ago)
- "Adventure" is a 2014 drama film written and directed by Nariman Turebayev.
- also known as Priklyuchenie
- countries: Kazakhstan, France
- language: Russian Language
- producers: Guillaume de Seille & Anna Katchko
- executive producer: Yerzhan Akhmetov
- production design by Munir Akhmetzhanov
- art direction by Munir Akhmetzhanov
- written by Nariman Turebayev
- based on a story by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- cinematography by Kazbek Amerzhanov
- edited by Aybol Kasymzhanov & Nariman Turebayev
- music by Irena Scalerica
- genre: Drama
- released on
- "Adventure" is a 2011 Hungarian drama film directed by József Sipos.
- country: Hungary
- language: Hungarian language
- director: Joseph Sipos
- producers: Krisztina Détár & Joseph Sipos
- written by Francisco Gózon, Joseph Sipos, György Somogyi
- based on a story by Sándor Márai
- cinematography by Francisco Gózon
- edited by Gabriella Koncz
- music by Gábor Berkes
- costume design by János Breckl
- genres: Romance Film, Drama
- released on
- "Adventure" is a lost 1925 film produced by Famous Players-Lasky, distributed by Paramount Pictures and directed by Victor Fleming. It is based on Jack London's 1911 novel Adventure.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Adolph Zukor & Jesse L. Lasky
- written by Gordon Rigby & A. P. Younger
- based on "Adventure" by Jack London
- starring: Duke Kahanamoku
- cinematography by Charles Schoenbaum
- genres: Silent film, Black-and-white, Indie film
- released in (90 years ago)
- "Adventure": Hartley and his wife, Miho Nikaido, travel to Japan to see her parents and reflect on twelve years of marriage, her career ambitions and the adventures of growing older. Featuring Miho Nikaido, Hal Hartley, the Nikaido family and various friends.
Adventure is a fictional film character.
Adventure a.k.a. Adventure Film: Adventure films are a genre of film. Unlike action films, they often use their action scenes preferably to display and explore exotic locations in an energetic way.
- also known as Adventure fiction, Adventure Drama, /m/03k9fj
Phrases with Adventure
Phrases starting with the word Adventure:
Phrases ending with the word Adventure:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adventure
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Organizations and Archetypes (2012)
by Monika Kostera
An adventure is a risky enterprise that stimulates the protagonist mentally and physically.
The Gene Keys (2013)
Unlocking the Higher Purpose Hidden in Your DNA by Richard Rudd
Adventure is what happens when the human spirit breaks free from the mind. Adventure is a state of being that comes from the realisation of the oneness of all being. Adventure is not...
Adventure means that there is still some fear inside you , but you have reached a frequency that you know is high enough to outwit that fear.
Film in Australia (2006)
An Introduction by Albert Moran, Errol Vieth
Recognizing adventure is the crux of the matter. Ian Cameron has asserted that there is no such...
As such, adventure is an affective term, akin to others such as entertainment and suspense. Cameron's position is an extreme one and has ...
by Max I. Dimont
The First Adventure is the amazing survival of the Jews from the fall of the Roman empire to the first Crusade (600-1100...
The Third Adventure is an inglorious chapter in Christian history and a testament to the indomitable spirit of the Jews.
Growing Older (2006)
Tourism and Leisure Behaviour of Older Adults by Ian Robert Patterson
Soft adventure Refers to activities with a perceived risk but low levels of real risk requiring minimal commitment and beginning skills; most of these activities are led by experienced guides Hard adventure Refers to activities with high levels of ...
An adventure is an exciting or dangerous experience, such as a daring or eventful journey: They had had some exciting adventures in Africa, including an encounter with a crocodile. 2 (uncount) Adventure is the excitement of risk or danger: ...
Pick and Pack's Adventure (2011)
by Gaye Lynn Trusty
Pick and Pack's Adventure is a tale of brother puppies.
by Kylie Peppler
Adventure learning occurs when learning environments are designed to connect learners with real-world explorers and adventurers in other parts of the world. Recent advancements in digital communication technologies have significantly ...
by Sir George Webbe Dasent
Before " adventure" came to mean "chance," "accident," or "hazard" it meant the setting out on some search of a doubtful and dangerous result, on a daring " quest" of strange and uncertain event ; on a deed of daring, whether in religion, love, ...
by Julia Cresswell
adventure audacious caper challenge chance danger dare escape explore Waltzing Matilda Anger blame curt grouch peremptory rage rile sarcasm sardonic savage scold Appearance chic dishevelled elegant frump handsome ...
Encyclopedia of Hell (1998)
by Miriam Van Scott
The on-line computer adventure The Brotherhood features a band of rebel demons vanquishing hell. PANGEA. CORPORATION – JOHN SCHULTE, JOHN BESMEHN, CHERLY ANN Wong. 72 co Mp UTER GAMEs Hopper's digitized image ...
by Carl I Cater, Brian Garrod, Tiffany Low
While adventure tourism does not have sustainability deeply linked to its definition (as in ecotourism for example), its location, often in fragile and remote locations, requires attention to sustainable outcomes. Further, a concern with injuries in ...
by Roger Bartlett, Chris Gratton, Christer G. Rolf
HO ADVENTURE SPORTS Adventure sports are that group of recreation activities which involve physical challenge and risk taking in an outdoor natural environment. Canoeing, rock-climbing, ADVENTURE SPORTS ...
An Encyclopedia by Claudia Mitchell, Jacqueline Reid-Walsh
Only secretly was the adventure genre enjoyed by girls. In the twenty-first century the archetypal boys' ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adventure
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adventure
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: samuelcollins
Photo credit: bastinat0r
Photo credit: HiranthaPerera
Photo credit: Neil T
- Off On Another Adventure
Photo credit: echoroo
- California Adventure
Photo credit: Chippycheeky
- Adventure Snails
Photo credit: steve-uk
- Adventure Travel Iran Morocco
source/credit: Active Travel
This image has been supplied to...
Photo credit: Traveloscopy
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adventure
Click on an item to play that video:
- The real meaning of adventure | Dave Gill | TEDxStormont
This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. The real meaning of adventure Dave Gill is a content producer, ...
- One Mongolia - English lesson - Adventure sports -Vocabulary
One Mongolia - English lesson.
- Definition of Adventure
Right here. Adventure of all the things. So much fun in one video.
- Daniel Woods - Creating meaning through adventure (Inspiration)
Read the BTS...
- Epic Score - The Meaning Of Honor 2012 - "Epic Action & Adventure Vol. 12" - Gabriel Shadid)
Please Read Description thank you. Track from new album release by Epic Score!, available to the public to buy via amazon & itunes (digital mp3 only) buy ...
- RPG Terminology Update: Linear Adventure, Open World
New RPG terminology: Adventure Structures: - Linear - Arborescent - Free-Form Campaign Structures - Open World - Closed Word (you cannot kill Darth Vader, ...
- Adventure Meaning
Video shows what adventure means. The encountering of risks; hazardous and striking enterprise; a bold undertaking, in which hazards are to be encountered, ...
- Legends of Adventure Treasure Card explanation
- Skylanders Spyro Adventure Explanation & Unboxing
- Common Core Standards Vocabulary Adventure | Mentoring Minds
- Sonic worldwide adventure project explanation 1000 views special
- Something incredible .. the true meaning of adventure
Wonders of the World Wonders of the World Wonders of the World Something incredible .. the true meaning of adventure.
- The Meaning of the Abrahamic Adventure in Levinas's Thought, Ephraim Meir
- Mrs. P's Vocabulary Builder - The word is ADVENTURE
Mrs. P shares the word adventure with young readers, to help them build their vocabularies.
- Cambodia - Changing lives with Destination Earth Voluntour Adventure Travel: Travel With Meaning
- Sonic worldwide adventure extras explanation
- Bali KULKUL Explanation & Demonstration at Bali eco Adventure
Bali KULKUL Explanation & Demonstration at Bali eco Adventure.
- New Updates: Llamas, Adventure, Pigs, and More + Explanation
- The Lure -and definition- of Adventure (July 19 2013)
- Emma and Heather's Vocabulary Adventure
Emma Ellis CPSE 403 - Winter 2015 Vocabulary Instruction.
- Mia's Language Adventure Preview
The Kidnap Caper is an Adventure game with educational content. In this Mia game you can practice either French or Spanish as a second language.
- Stanstead Language Adventure 2013 Harlem Shake
- Carlingford Adventure Centre Language School, 2012
Hilarious, a brilliant look at Carlingford by Isadia Aventura students using what they learned (reading and speaking English) to highlight the FUN things they got ...
- [Mobile Game Featured] Fantasy Adventure (Download link at Description)
- English Language Adventure School ELAS UK
English Language Adventure School ELAS UK...
- Pirates: a Language Adventure
- Stanstead College Language Adventure 2013 promotion video
For over 20 years, the Stanstead College Summer Language Adventure has brought together boys and girls from across Quebec, Canada and around the world ...
- Illu's Big Adventure - Language Lessons 2
Teaching The World Georgian.
- ILSC Junior Language Adventure Programs
- Michael Harrah's Austin's adventure description of the story series
4 ppl voted him most interesting.
See also the pronunciation examples of Adventure!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Adventure
Scrabble value of A1D2V4E1N1T1U1R1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADVENTURE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Adventure!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adventure to see it in context!