The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun adversity:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun adversity
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adversity
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adversity
- Photos about Adversity
- Video language resources about Adversity
- Sign language
- Quotes about Adversity
- Scrabble value of A1D2V4E1R1S1I1T1Y4
- Anagrams of ADVERSITY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adversity
What does adversity mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adversities
- a state of misfortune or affliction
- example: debt-ridden farmers struggling with adversity
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of adversity: hard knocks / hardship
- more generic terms: bad luck / ill luck / misfortune / tough luck = an unfortunate state resulting from unfavorable outcomes
- more specific terms:
- ill-being = lack of prosperity or happiness or health
- catastrophe / disaster = a state of extreme (usually irremediable) ruin and misfortune
- extremity = an extreme condition or state
- distress = a state of adversity
- affliction = a state of great suffering and distress due to adversity
- victimization = adversity resulting from being made a victim
- low-water mark / nadir = an extreme state of adversity
- a stroke of ill fortune; a calamitous event
"Adversity" is a musical album by Butterfly Toungz.
- released on (8 years ago)
- award: - Independent Music Award for Best Album - Rap or Hip-Hop nomination for Butterfly Toungz
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adversity
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Emanuel Strauss
117–adversity is a good discipline Fr: Sp: ht: Pol: Cz: 117 celui qui ne parle, Dieu ne l'ouït pas Sp: qui ne veut parler,
Adversity is the arrow in the bow of God's providence, which pierces the heart of prosperity, and drinks up the blood of wealth.
A Dictionary of Thoughts (1891)
Being a Cyclopedia of Laconic Quotations from the Best Authors, Both Ancient and Modern by Tryon Edwards
Adversity is the trial of principle. — Without it a man hardly...
Treasury Of Spiritual Wisdom A Collection Of 10,000 Powerful Quotations For Transforming Your Life (2003)
by Andy Zubko
Trine Adversity is the trial of principle. Without it a...
Lady Blessington Adversity is the midwife of genius.... — Napoleon...
Diamond Power (2003)
Gems of Wisdom from America's Greatest Marketer by Barry J. Farber
Adversity is the diamond dust heaven polishes its jewels with. —Robert Leighton, Scottish...
by Thomas G. Tripp
Adversity is a hungry visitor that consumes your time, your health, your wealth and your happiness. Adversityis anevil visitor with plansto ruin your life, your home, yourmarriage, your family, your relationship with God and all that is cherished by ...
by Russ Hoover
THE SIGNATURE Given that emotional irritation only occurs to two classes of events; real or potential adversity, a good workable therapeutic definition of adversity is the presence of emotional irritation itself. Moreover, remembering adversity ...
by Donna Couchenour, J. Kent Chrisman
Rebecca Jane BulotskyShearer Johayra Bouza Krystal Bichay Resilience in adversity refers to the phenomenon that many...
Early adversity includes experiencing risk factors such as child abuse or neglect, homelessness, poverty, or even ...
by Rick E. Ingram, PhD
Adversity. and. Depression. While the causes of depression are recognized as biological, psychological, and social, social factors account for much of the variance. Adult social factors include severe life events and difficulties, lower social ...
by Harold L. Miller, Jr.
The PAR model predicts and finds support for its assertion that under some circumstances, congruence between prenatal and postnatal environments, rather than exposure to adversity alone (as predicted by the programming model), ...
From American and Foreign Authors, Including Translations from Ancient Sources by Anna Lydia Ward
ADVERSITY. Adversity is sometimes hard upon a man; but for one man ...
by Susan Ratcliffe
Adversity s see also MISFORTUNES, SUFFERING What we learn in a time of pestilence: that there are more things to admire in men than to despise. Albert Camus 1913–60 French novelist, dramatist, and essayist: ThePlague (1947) Adversity ...
comprising the most excellent and appropriate passages in the old British poets; with choice and copious selections from the best modern British and American poets by John F. Addington
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adversity
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adversity
Click on an item to view that photo:
This plant has overcome great adversity. If only you knew. It's a miracle it's still alive (and now thriving)
Photo credit: Katie@!
By Fritz Brandtner
Photo credit: colros
- Withstanding Adversity
Photo credit: FeatheredTar
- Blooms in Adversity
Photo credit: Shootingsnow
- Strength through Adversity
Attacked but the theme continues.
Photo credit: Newtown grafitti
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adversity
Click on an item to play that video:
- Adversity Meaning
Video shows what adversity means. The state of adverse conditions, state of misfortune or calamity.. An event that is adverse, calamity.. adversity synonyms: ...
- The meaning of adversity ver.hbp
- Definition of positivity in the midst of adversity
- Meaning in Adversity
There is a Chinese saying or proverb that goes like this " huan nan jian chern ching" In other words you will see the authenticity of your love in times of adversity.
- ESL Vocabulary : adversity
- TOEFL vocabulary: Adversity
- ESL Vocabulary : adversity
See also the pronunciation examples of Adversity!
Expect to Meet Adversity in your Life / American Sign Language
Quotes about Adversity
Scrabble value of A1D2V4E1R1S1I1T1Y4
The value of this 9-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADVERSITY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Adversity!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adversity to see it in context!