The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun advert:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb advert:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun advert
- Definition of the verb advert
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Advert
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Advert
- Photos about Advert
- Video language resources about Advert
- Quotes about Advert
- Scrabble value of A1D2V4E1R1T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun advert
What does advert mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adverts
- a public promotion of some product or service
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of advert: ad / advertisement / advertising / advertizement / advertizing
- more generic terms: packaging / promo / promotion / promotional material / publicity = a message issued in behalf of some product or cause or idea or person or institution
- more specific terms:
- direct mail = advertising sent directly to prospective customers via the mail
- preview / trailer / prevue = an advertisement consisting of short scenes from a motion picture that will appear in the near future
- advertorial = an advertisement that is written and presented in the style of an editorial or journalistic report
- mailer = an advertisement that is sent by mail
- newspaper advertisement / newspaper ad = a printed advertisement that is published in a newspaper
- commercial message / commercial = a commercially sponsored ad on radio or television
- broadsheet / broadside / throwaway / circular / handbill / flier / flyer / bill = an advertisement (usually printed on a page or in a leaflet) intended for wide distribution
- teaser = an advertisement that offers something free in order to arouse customers' interest
- top billing = the advertisement of a star's name at the top of a theatrical poster
Alternative definition of the noun advert
- [British, New Zealand, informal] An advertisement, an ad.
Definition of the verb advert
What does advert mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: adverted | adverting | adverts
- give heed (to)
- make a more or less disguised reference to
- make reference to
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of advert: bring up / cite / mention / name / refer
- more generic terms: have in mind / mean / think of = intend to refer to
- more specific terms:
- remember / commend = mention as by way of greeting or to indicate friendship
- speak of the devil = mention someone's name who just then appears
- remember = mention favorably, as in prayer
- quote / cite = refer to for illustration or proof
- touch on = refer to or discuss briefly
- appeal / invoke = cite as an authority
- namedrop = refer to people that one assumes one's interlocutors admire in order to try to impress them
- bring up / raise = put forward for consideration or discussion
- dredge up / drag up = mention something unpleasant from the past
- cross-refer = refer from one entry to another, as in catalogues, books, and lists
Alternative definition of the verb advert
- To turn attention.
- synonym: refer
- To call attention, refer; construed with to.
"Advert" is a composition.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Advert
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
People of Ormskirk (2011)
by Mona Duggan
advert refers to the silk factory, but that building never becameacotton factory. Thesilkmill and its outworkers thrived during the earlyyearsof the century; infact, bythe1840s 200 people were involvedin the manufacture ofsilk, and during ...
Theory, History, Practice by Rob Pope
The Citroen 'Picasso' advert is the kind of playful, parodic and highly finished media product we have come to expect from the contemporary 'creative industries';.
Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference
To ADVERT. v. n. [adverto, Lat.] To attend to ; to regard; to observe: with the particle to before the object of regard.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
To ADVERT, v. a. [adverto, Lat ] To attend to ; to regard ; to observe : with the particle to before the object of regard. — The mind of man being not capable at once to advert to more than one thing, a particular view and examination of .such an ...
by Sir Isaac Pitman
j Advert' Ч-* Adroga'tion ...
A new universal etymological technological, and pronouncing dictionary of the English language (1848)
by John Craig (F.G.S.)
Advert, ad-vert ' ...
A New Universal Etymological, Technological, and Pronouncing Dictionary of the English Language, Embracing All the Terms Used in Science, Literature and Art (1858)
by John CRAIG (F.G.S.)
ADVERT, ad-vert', v. n. (adverto, from ad, ...
A Dictionary Of The English Language; In Which The Words Are Deduced From Their Originals; And Illustrated In Their Different Significations, By Examples From The Best Writers: Together With A History of the Language, and an English Grammar (1818)
by Samuel Johnson
To ADVERT. s. v.n. [adverto, Lat..] To attend to ; to regard; to observe: with the particle to before the object of regard. The mind of man being not capable at once to advert to more than one thing, a particular view and examination of such an ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Advert
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Advert
Click on an item to view that photo:
Opposite Bleu Bar
Photo credit: jeffedoe
Photo credit: byzantiumbooks
- MacBook advert
AS Level Photography
Photo credit: Toby Shuttleworth
- Diffusion - Paul Smith advert
Paul Smith Bags advert
Photo credit: Thomas Lowe Design
- Bad Dixons Advert
The first section seems to be saying that Dixons service is rubbish. And who thought that catch-phrase was a good idea?
Photo credit: Loz Flowers
- Royal London Society for Blind People advert
London Without Limits campaign advert on a train.
Photo credit: HowardLake
- RSLB advert
Photo credit: HowardLake
- Subaru Liberty advert
Photo credit: FotoSleuth
- Mazda 626 Advert
Photo credit: FotoSleuth
- Orange Broadband Advert
Featuring WW2 German Soldier
Photo credit: Jason Cartwright
- Interesting This Water advert
Photo credit: renaissancechambara
- Advert in Paris
Photo credit: yisris
- Kindle advert for Tesco supermarket
Photo credit: TheCreativePenn
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Advert
Click on an item to play that video:
- Stannah Stairlift Advert - Jargon
Stannah Stairlifts. The world's best-selling stairlift. Find out why Stannah Stairlifts is the world's leading stairlift designer, manufacturer and supplier.
- V. Aura "Definition" Advert 1
- Spitfire Ale slang dance Advert
- Advert Meaning
Video shows what advert means. An advertisement, an ad.. advert pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. advert meaning.
- Jesus, a chocoholic Real Easter Egg advert explains the meaning..
- An explanation of the Barclaycard rollercoaster advert
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Advert, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Jarvis explanation for euro star advert.
- NUSANTARA LANGUAGE CENTRE Advert
Welcome to Nusantara Language Centre! NLC's different from other learning experiences. The Centre offers several programs that provided intensive English ...
- Puma Dance Dictionary, A Classic - Puma Fragrances Online Advert
Media: Online Geo: Europe United Kingdom Category: Health & Beauty Client: Puma Advertising Agency: Grey, London, UK Chief Creative Officer: Nils Leonard ...
- 2011 Wales referendum - English language phase 1 TV advert
The Electoral Commission's television advert for the referendum on the law making powers of the National Assembly for Wales.
- Language-Learning.org Advert
If you're learning a language...
- California's Great America - Language Barrier TV Advert 2012
California's Great America - Language Barrier TV Advert 2012.
- Guardian Language Festival Advert by TellyJuice
- California's Great America - Language TV Advert 2012
California's Great America - Language TV Advert 2012.
- Promotional advert video for Leeds English Language School - A Shot Blast Media video production
- Pattaya Colour Run TV Advert English Language
- Advert: Language is Music with actor Agam
- Applied Language Advert
- Decoding Language Book by DS Jammers - TV Advert
Order Online via...
- The Rhyming Dictionary: Illingsworth advert
This is the first of three commercials for the upcoming LP known as "The Rhyming Dictionary." Illingsworth is "dictating" straight from The New American ...
- Advert for the Mini Oxford School Dictionary.
- Advert: Language is Music - with actor Agam Marwah
- Advert: Language is Music - with actor Agam Bir
See also the pronunciation examples of Advert!
Quotes about Advert
Scrabble value of A1D2V4E1R1T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Advert to see it in context!