The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun advocate:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb advocate:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun advocate
- Definition of the verb advocate
- Phrases with Advocate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Advocate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Advocate
- Photos about Advocate
- Video language resources about Advocate
- Sign language
- Quotes about Advocate
- Scrabble value of A1D2V4O1C3A1T1E1
- Anagrams of ADVOCATE
- Share this page
Advocate (to speak in favor of) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Kaplan GRE Exam Vocabulary in a Box, which includes 500 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
The word advocate and its family (advocacy, advocated, advocates, advocating) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun advocate
What does advocate mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: advocates
- a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of advocate: advocator / exponent / proponent
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific words:
- vindicator / apologist / justifier = a person who argues to defend or justify some policy or institution
- constitutionalist = an advocate of constitutional government
- Darwinian = an advocate of Darwinism
- democrat = an advocate of democratic principles
- populist = someone who advocates the rights of the common people over those of the elite
- federalist = an advocate of federalism
- Gnostic = an advocate of Gnosticism
- humanitarian / humanist = an advocate of the principles of humanism
- ideologist / ideologue = an advocate of some ideology
- internationalist = an advocate of internationalism
- irredentist / irridentist = an advocate of irredentism
- isolationist = an advocate of isolationism in international affairs
- Jansenist = an advocate of Jansenism
- libertarian = an advocate of libertarianism
- Maoist = an advocate of Maoism
- Marxist = an advocate of Marxism
- nationalist = an advocate of national independence of or a strong national government
- neoclassicist = an advocate of neoclassicism
- neutralist = an advocate of neutrality in international affairs
- nullifier = an advocate of nullification
- drumbeater / partisan / zealot = a fervent and even militant proponent of something
- partitionist = an advocate of partitioning a country
- Platonist = an advocate of Platonism
- pro-lifer = an advocate of full legal protection for embryos and fetuses
- presenter / sponsor = an advocate who presents a person
- protectionist = an advocate of protectionism
- republican = an advocate of a republic
- ritualist = an advocate of strict observance of ritualistic forms
- ruralist = an advocate of rural living
- secessionist = an advocate of secessionism
- secularist = an advocate of secularism
- separationist / separatist = an advocate of secession or separation from a larger group
- representative / spokesperson / interpreter / voice = an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose
- suffragist = an advocate of the extension of voting rights
- protagonist / supporter / champion / admirer / booster / friend = a person who backs a politician or a team etc.
- supremacist = a person who advocates the supremacy of some particular group or racial group over all others
- teleologist = advocate of teleology
- Thatcherite = an advocate of Thatcherism
- unilateralist = an advocate of unilateralism
- a lawyer who pleads cases in court
Alternative definition of the noun advocate
- A person who argues the case of another, such as a lawyer in a court.
- A person who speaks in support of something.
- A person who supports someone to make their voice heard, or ideally to speak up for themselves.
Definition of the noun advocate for high school students
- a person who argues in favor of something
- example: In addition to wanting to turn left at every stop sign, Arnold was also a great advocate of increasing national defense spending.
The noun advocate is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Definition of the verb advocate
What does advocate mean as a doing word?
Advocate is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: advocated | advocating | advocates
- push for something
- speak, plead, or argue in favor of
- example: The doctor advocated a smoking ban in the entire house
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of advocate: preach
- more generic terms: exhort / press / urge / urge on = force or impel in an indicated direction
- more specific words: preachify / sermonise / sermonize / moralise / moralize = speak as if delivering a sermon
Alternative definition of the verb advocate
- [transitive] To argue for someone else.
- [transitive] To encourage support for something.
Definition of the verb advocate for high school students
- to argue in favor of something
- example: Arnold advocated turning left at the stop sign, even though everyone else thought we should turn right.
The verb advocate is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1987 film Nazrana.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2003 film Manassinakkare.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2003 film Meerayude Dukhavum Muthuvinte Swapnavum.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1960 film Kanoon.
- Advocate is a fictional character in the 2013 film Kutteem Kolum.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2008 film Babal Da Vehra.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1977 film Mimino.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2009 film Indira Vizha.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1990 film Pati Patni Aur Tawaif.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2009 film The Game of Love.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1974 film Dil Diwana.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1980 film Apne Paraye.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2009 film Gulumal.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1986 film Nagina.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1999 film Ustaad.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1986 film Kirayadar.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1954 film Amar.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1987 film Kudrat Ka Kanoon.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1997 film The Car.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1967 film Bhai Bhauja.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1983 film Bandhan Kuchchey Dhaagon Ka.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1996 film Vijeta.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1985 film Karimpinpoovinakkare.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2007 film Mayavi.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1987 film The Mother of Kings.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1969 film Anjaana.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2005 film Rajamanikyam.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1996 film Maanbumigu Maanavan.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2004 film Saatchya Aat Gharat.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2008 film Lovesongs: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2006 film Baba Kalyani.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2003 film Ente Veedu Appuvinteyum.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1996 film Rakshak.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1974 film The Golden Fortress.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2004 film Natturajavu.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2010 film Malik Ek.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1996 film Rajaputhran.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2013 film Loveria.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1965 film Three Steps on Earth.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 2008 film A Climate for Crime.
- Advocate is a fictional character from the 1985 film Ee Sabdam Innathe Sabdam.
- Advocate a.k.a. Piotr Balicki is a fictional character from the 1988 film A Short Film About Killing.
- read more about Piotr Balicki
There are other characters with in their name, like Judge Advocate.
"Advocate" a.k.a. "The Hour of the Pig" is a 1993 British/French film by writer/director Leslie Megahey, produced by the BBC. The film stars Colin Firth, Ian Holm, Donald Pleasence, Nicol Williamson, Jim Carter and Amina Annabi. It was released in the United States as The Advocate. The film is usually categorised as a drama, although it could also be classified as a mystery or a black comedy.
- also known as The Hour of Judgement, The Advocate
- countries: France, United Kingdom, England
- language: English Language
- producer: David M. Thompson
- written by Leslie Megahey
- cinematography by Denis Lenoir & John Hooper
- edited by Isabelle Dedieu
- music by Alexandre Desplat
- genres: Costume drama, Historical period drama, Trial drama, Suspense, Erotic thriller, Crime Fiction, Mystery, Crime Thriller, Thriller, Comedy-drama, Drama
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (22 years ago)
"Advocate" is a musical album of Jim Beard.
- released in (16 years ago)
- Advocate is a musical group.
- also known as The Advocate
- album: "From Soil Laced With Lyme"
- Advocate is a musical group.
- album: "Trial and Error"
- Advocate: An advocate is a type of professional person in several different legal systems. These include Scotland, Belgium, South Africa, India, Scandinavian jurisdictions, Israel, Brazil and the British Crown dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man. The broad equivalent in many English law-based jurisdictions is a barrister, public defender, district attorney or prosecutor.
- also known as Peguambela, वकील, Puolestapuhuja
- Advocate a.k.a. The High Priest was the chief religious official of Israelite religion and of classical Judaism from the rise of the Israelite nation until the destruction of the Second Temple of Jerusalem. The high priests belonged to the Jewish priestly families that trace their paternal line back to Aaron, the first high priest and elder brother of Moses.
- also known as Kohen Gadol, High Priest of Israel
- Advocate: Ang Advocate ay isang palabas sa telebisyon sa Timog Korea.
- The Advocate was a newspaper in Pittsburgh, published under several title variants from 1832 to 1844. It was the second daily newspaper issued in the city, the first being its eventual purchaser, the Gazette. Politically, the paper supported the principles of the Whig Party.
- The Advocate is a student newspaper for Kansas City Kansas Community College. The newspaper also maintains an online presence.
Phrases with Advocate
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Advocate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Baby Boomers and Beyond (2010)
The Who, What, When, and Where Guide to Health and Spirituality by Michelle McAllister
An advocate is a person you wish to be present at the time of illness to insure your individual healthcare is managed in a...
Smart Tips For Patients (2017)
Checking Into Healthcare Facilities by Gloria E. Davis-Brackins
A Patient Advocate is a necessity for any patient checking into any type of healthcare facility, because this is what keeps you alive during your brief or long term stay.
Its Challenge to Integration by Carol M. Swain
Cultured, intelligent, and often possessing impressive degrees from some of America's premier colleges and universities, this new breed of white racial advocate is a far cry from the populist politicians and hooded Klansmen of the Old South ...
Political Consumerism (2013)
Global Responsibility in Action by Dietlind Stolle, Michele Micheletti
downsizing advocate is the U.S.-based New American Dream (a nonprofit organization founded in 19 97) that strives to popularize simplicity by helping consumers to find balance in life. Today, environmental groups, climate change activists, ...
Community Practice Skills (2010)
Local to Global Perspectives by Dorothy N Gamble, Marie Weil
Being an advocate is an important role in organizing functional communities and will also be identified in chapters 11 and 12 as significant in two additional models: Political and Social Action, and Movements for Progressive Change.
Human Services Management (2012)
Organizational Leadership in Social Work Practice by David Austin
The advocate is an individual who acts to assert the right of the service user to receive services, or to protect the rights ofthe service user during the service provision process. Third-party advocates, sometimes in the form of a guardian ad litem, ...
Planning For Life (2005)
Involving Adults with Learning Disabilities in Service Planning by Liam Concannon
The future of advocacy The belief underlying Valuing People is that the role of the advocate is a very powerful one that helps to transform the lives of people with learning disabilities, arguing that advocates enable users to make choices and ...
by John Chisholm
ANDERSON, Advocate. Statute Law Revision; and Statutory Rules and Orders.—J. A. FLEMING, Advocate, formerly Member of Statute Law Revision Committee. Stipends. — THE TEIND CLERK (NENION ELLIOT, S.S.C.). Stipendiary ...
by Luca Prono
since the late 1960s, the Advocate has grown from an underground newsletter into the largest gay and lesbian magazine in the world. It has recorded the developments of the queer community in the United states and worldwide, thus giving ...
by Andrew Jackson Graham
Advocate [add], advoküt, Def-KeL Advocate-d ...
Political Dictionary (1845)
Forming a Work of Universal Reference, Both Constitutional and Legal; and Embracing the Terms of Civil Administration, of Political Economy and Social Relations, and of All the More Important Statistical Departments of Finance and Commerce
Though the word Advocate is the term now generally used to express a person conversant with the law who manages a laintiff's or defendant's case in court, this is not exactly the meaning of the Roman work advocatus. The word Advocatus ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Advocate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Advocate
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Banalities
View more pictures about The Advocate.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Advocate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary lesson 34 - Common Idiom Definitions - Devil's Advocate
Idiom definitions and vocabulary for spoken English- Devil's Advocate...
- Devil's advocate Meaning
Video shows what devil's advocate means. One who debates from a view which he or she may not actually hold, usually to determine its validity or simply for the ...
- Angel's advocate Meaning
Video shows what angel's advocate means. Someone who sees what is good about an idea and supports it.. Angel's advocate Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Advocate Meaning
Video shows what advocate means. Someone whose job is to speak for someone's case in a court of law; a counsel.. Anyone who argues the case of another; ...
- Disability Rights Advocate Lamar White: Abbott Owes Texans Apology & Explanation For Justice Denied
Lamar White, a Dallas law student and disability rights advocate, was called a "prop" by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott's top campaign advisor. In this new ...
- Dhanama Daivama Scenes - Advocate Ramachandra Rao Explanation About His Profession - NTR, Jamuna
Dhanama Daivama Scenes - Advocate Ramachandra Rao Explanation About His Profession Movie: Dhanama Daivama, Cast: NTR, Jamuna, Director: C.S.Rao, ...
- TOEFL vocabulary: Advocate
- ESL Vocabulary : advocate
- Fundamental Right Explanation By Senior Advocate Pradeep Rai
Legal Point Description on Fundamental Rights and duties by Pradeep Kumar Rai, Senior Advocate, Supreme Court on LokSabha TV.
- Explanation of "Advocate"
- Idiom : To Play Politics, To Play the Devils Advocate and Playing with a Full Deck
Playing politics, Devils advocate, and Playing with a full deck.
- 12 American Slang & amp Idioms DEVIL& 39 S ADVOCATE
- Prominent Maori language advocate recognised
Te Wharehuia Milroy has been appointed a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM) for his efforts in the revival of the Maori Language.
- ESL Vocabulary : advocate
- O'Donnell explains his bill that helps advocate for English Language Learners
Assembly Member O'Donnell explains his bill to expand eligibility for parents to sit on the Citywide Council on English Language Learners (CCELL). This bill ...
- Advocate Promoting Native Language in ESL Classroom
View more videos about Judge Advocate.
See also the pronunciation examples of Advocate!
WCA Advocate Services - American Sign Language and Closed Captioning
ADVOCATES ARE HERE TO HELP An advocate is someone you can talk to about your domestic violence or sexual assault situation and is able to keep your ...
Quotes about Advocate
Scrabble value of A1D2V4O1C3A1T1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADVOCATE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Advocate!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Advocate to see it in context!